Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Look at the Chiefs 2017 opponents

Default A Look at the Chiefs 2017 opponents

Kansas City Chiefs 2017 schedule of opponents include Cowboys, Patriots

by Joel Thorman@ArrowheadPride Dec 27, 2016, 8:42am CST

The Kansas City Chiefs know most of their 2017 opponents even though the NFL schedule has yet to be released. The Chiefs may not know the dates and times of their opponents or the order of the games but they do know 14 of their 16 opponents.

The NFL schedule is formulaic. The Chiefs know six of their games will come from playing their three AFC West opponents twice. The Chiefs play a rotating AFC and NFC division each year which makes up eight more games. This year it’s the AFC East and the NFC East. Then the Chiefs also play the AFC teams who finished in the same spot in the division as them.

These are the Chiefs 2017 opponents (note that this is unofficial until the Chiefs confirm so):

Home: Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Bills, Dolphins, Eagles, Redskins, AFC North

Away: Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, Giants, AFC South

If the Chiefs finish in first place in the AFC West, they’ll play the Steelers (AFC North) and Texans (AFC South) at home. The Steelers and Texans are in first place in their division.

If the Chiefs finish in second place in the AFC West, they’ll play the Ravens (AFC North) and Titans (AFC South) on the road. The Ravens and Titans are in second place in their division.
    As for the schedule, it looks harder right now. The harder games are on the road - Patriots, Cowboys and Giants. It looks like the Chiefs could have as many as three playoff teams at home and five playoff teams on the road if they’re playing a first place schedule.
    Note that this is close to Andy Reid’s first season in Kansas City, which was four years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Precisely. One game at a time. The post-season is not the time to look ahead.

Pittsburgh is who I want in round 1. I want the Chiefs to get another shot at them, this time in the Chiefs own backyard. PAYBACK TIME !!

As for 2017, in the upcoming draft, if there is an off-the-edge pass-rusher available in round 1, I think the Chiefs should take him.
    . I would love another shot at them also. Because to be the best you gotta show that you can beat everyone else and they left a sour taste in every Chiefs fans mouth with that embarrassing win over our Chiefs. But at the same time maybe we just don't matchup well against them. Don't know if I want to find that one out either.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    . I would love another shot at them also. Because to be the best you gotta show that you can beat everyone else and they left a sour taste in every Chiefs fans mouth with that embarrassing win over our Chiefs. But at the same time maybe we just don't matchup well against them. Don't know if I want to find that one out either.
    I believe they can match up against the Steelers, if they can get a strong pass-rush on Big Ben. He had too much time to look over the field in that game in in Pittsburgh & the Chiefs secondary got ripped a new one. In the post-season, we have to welcome any challenge & I'd like to start with getting a chance at payback on the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Big Ben has not been anywhere near as good on the road this year as he has been at home.

Completion %... Home = 70.8% Away = 59.4% 17% worse.

Yards per attempt... Home = 8.5% Away = 6.7% 20% worse

TDs...Home = 20 Away = 9 55% worse

INTs...Home = 5 Away = 8 60% worse

1st down %...Home = 42.9% Away = 30.7% 30% worse

Sacks...Home = 7 Away = 10 40% worse

Rating...Home = 116.7 Away = 78.4 32% worse

He's been having a much tougher time on the road and I don't expect that will get better in Arrowhead. They are a TOUGH TEAM but I'm convinced we have a decent shot at beating them in our house.

Here is a SHOCKER FOR EVERYBODY.....

I listed above Big Ben's stats on the road showing that they were nowhere near as good on the road as at home. So I decided to compare Alex on the road to Big Ben on the road. Of the 7 categories, Alex did better in 4 of them (completion %, INT, 1st down % and rating. He did worse than Big Ben in only 2--TDs and sacks and tied Big Ben in yards per attempt.

Alex is a better road QB than Big Ben. He is also better at home than Big Ben is on the road.

The only situation where Alex does not do better than Big Ben is BB at home and Alex at home. In the 7 categories BB is better than Alex in 5 and tied in 2 (interceptions and sacks). Road games make Big Ben vulnerable to 2 kinds of big mistakes (INTs and sacks). That is not a good situation to be in against the Chiefs in Arrowhead.

Here is another weird phenom that can't be explained, but it is a stark reality, nonetheless (along the exact same vein of the Chiefs lack of success drafting QB's).

In 1971, 1995, 1997, and 2003, the Chiefs went unbeaten at home throughout the regular season, but lost in the opening round of the playoffs (at home) all four times. In 1969, the Chiefs had lost one home game (to the Raiders, 27-24), but went on to win the 4th Super Bowl. You can ask yourself "what's up with that?", but there really is no logical explanation.

Point is, that maybe losing to the Bucs and Titans at home this season isn't such a bad thing, as it may appear at first glance.

One more thing, if the Chiefs can win the opening round playoff this year & assuming the Pats do the same, going up to NE is going to be a challenge, but NE's 2 losses this season just so happened to be in NEW ENGLAND (Pats were 8-0 on the road). So there is hope. Let the post-season games begin.

Here is another weird phenom that can't be explained, but it is a stark reality, nonetheless (along the exact same vein of the Chiefs lack of success drafting QB's).

In 1971, 1995, 1997, and 2003, the Chiefs went unbeaten at home throughout the regular season, but lost in the opening round of the playoffs (at home) all four times. In 1969, the Chiefs had lost one home game (to the Raiders, 27-24), but went on to win the 4th Super Bowl. You can ask yourself "what's up with that?", but there really is no logical explanation.

Point is, that maybe losing to the Bucs and Titans at home this season isn't such a bad thing, as it may appear at first glance.

One more thing, if the Chiefs can win the opening round playoff this year & assuming the Pats do the same, going up to NE is going to be a challenge, but NE's 2 losses this season just so happened to be in NEW ENGLAND (Pats were 8-0 on the road). So there is hope. Let the post-season games begin.
    Good points Demps...It appears likely that will will face first Pittsburgh at home and if we win then New England on the road for the AFC Championship. Slice it and dice it any way you want, but that is a TOUGH schedule. Yet somehow that sick and foreboding feeling I have had about playoff games for DECADES just isn't there. BOTH would likely be TOUGH games but I honestly believe that we have the talent, skill and coaching that we match up well against any team in the NFL this year. We don't need to rely on "Any Given Sunday" to win, we simply have what it takes to have an excellent chance of winning. I honestly haven't felt this good about our chances of winning a Super Bowl since '93.

I honestly believe those games were anomalies. Almost every team has a few games every year that are simply inexplicable--just like 2 years ago when we lost late in the season to the winless Raiders. Sometimes NFL games simply make no sense. I feel like those 2 games are prime examples and have NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on where the Chiefs will go from here.

Same sort of deal. Anomalies. The Patriots are a very good team--Gronk or no Gronk--but I think we match up well with them, better in fact than the Broncos did last year.Neither the Steelers nor the Patriots are a "gimme" for us but I think both are games we have a perfectly good chance of winning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123