Thread: Dadi Nicholas Injury

Default Dadi Nicholas Injury

Dadi Nicolas’s ruptured patellar tendon is a tough injury

by Joel Thorman@ArrowheadPride Jan 3, 2017, 2:10pm CST

Lost in the Kansas City Chiefs clinching the AFC West is news that rookie linebacker Dadi Nicolas ruptured his patellar tendon.

That’s unfortunate for him because this is a tough injury to overcome. Jimmy Graham, Victor Cruz and Cadillac Williams have all gone through it to varying success.
    This ESPN story does a good job explaining what it isand why there’s more uncertainty than an ACL tear. A 2011 study found that 79 percent of 22 NFL players returned to play a down after rupturing their patellar tendon.
    Nicolas wasn’t a major player on the Chiefs roster this season. Mostly special teams and the occasional mop-up duty at outside linebacker. However, the Chiefs want to keep their roster stocked with young pass rushers for the future. Nicolas showed some promise there.
    Here’s to hoping he makes a full recovery.

So in my opinion it will tough for him to make it back for the start of the regular season. If he comes back at all

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Dadi Nicolas’s ruptured patellar tendon is a tough injury

by Joel Thorman@ArrowheadPride Jan 3, 2017, 2:10pm CST

Lost in the Kansas City Chiefs clinching the AFC West is news that rookie linebacker Dadi Nicolas ruptured his patellar tendon.

That’s unfortunate for him because this is a tough injury to overcome. Jimmy Graham, Victor Cruz and Cadillac Williams have all gone through it to varying success.
    This ESPN story does a good job explaining what it isand why there’s more uncertainty than an ACL tear. A 2011 study found that 79 percent of 22 NFL players returned to play a down after rupturing their patellar tendon.
    Nicolas wasn’t a major player on the Chiefs roster this season. Mostly special teams and the occasional mop-up duty at outside linebacker. However, the Chiefs want to keep their roster stocked with young pass rushers for the future. Nicolas showed some promise there.
    Here’s to hoping he makes a full recovery.

So in my opinion it will tough for him to make it back for the start of the regular season. If he comes back at all
    NEXT MAN UP! I wish Nicholas well and a speedy return to active duty but when all is said and done the Chiefs have to go on winning despite whoever is injured.

That's a tough injury to recover from. Wish him the best. Hopefully he can have a full recovery. It would have been nice to have another polished pass rusher to take Tamba's place when he retires (I'm assuming this year).

Jap your the Doc why is a Patella Tendon harder to come back from than a ACL?? What is different after its fixed??

Something in this article doesn't make sense. It says

... This is a tough injury to overcome.

Okay fine. I'll buy that. But then it goes on to say ...

A 2011 study found that 79 percent of 22 NFL players returned to play a down after rupturing their patellar tendon.
    First of all, my calculator says that 79% of 22 would be 17.38 players. 17 out of 22 would be 77% and 18 would be 82% so that number can't be right. It would have been much clearer if the article just said "17 out of 22 players ..." instead of giving a percentage.

But let's say it is 17 out of 22. That's over 3 out of every 4 that return to the field. It doesn't sound that hard to overcome to me.

Unless there are two typos and it was supposed to say "77% of 22 players never returned to play another down..."

Something doesn't add up.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

I'm sure age has slot to do with it. Dadi is young he will be back

Jap your the Doc why is a Patella Tendon harder to come back from than a ACL?? What is different after its fixed??
    Not quite sure. I think it is because in general tendons are more difficult to repair, depending on where the tendon is torn. It is much more like an Achilles tear (they are both tendons). Tendons attach muscles to the bones. Where the tendon attaches to a bone, it is very solid, like a rope. On the other end of the tendon, where it attaches to the muscle, it is not nearly as solid. It slowly blends from muscle (which is near impossible to sew) to solid tendon. The closer to the muscle the tear is, then it is much more difficult to repair. The more difficult the repair is, then it means there is a longer healing time before you can use that muscle. The longer you go without using the muscles, then the more the muscles will weaken or atrophy. That means it is going to take longer to rebuild the strength to be an athlete again.

The patellar tendon attaches the quadriceps (all the muscles in the front of the thigh, that straighten the knee and lift the thigh forward) to the shin. It is one of the major muscle groups needed to run, jump, etc.