Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What now?

Default What now?

Everyone's still coming to terms with the Pittsburg loss..But what happens next? Haven't heard any more about the situation with Dorsey & the Packers, hope we're able to keep Dorsey and Reid together for awhile.

Is this the year we part company with guys like Jamaal Charles, Tamba Hali or Eric Berry? Is it worthwhile to draft or sign a free agent to replace DJ? What position players should we take in the draft?

I'm ready to move on from Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Reid is still a very good NFL coach.

His playcalling style is just out of date. IMO it would serve him well to admit this to himself and give up the playcalling duties
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by KCMASS View Post
    We have the NFL playoffs. As for the Chiefs, it will be the same. Andy conservative play calling & Alex Smith. I liked it better with Marty myself. 3 yards & a cloud, then Todd McNair for the 1st down. Many of you youngster's don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
    Yes, I remember Todd McNair. Marty used him as a third down back similar to the way San Diego used Eric Bienemy (Our current running backs coach). Overall I like what Reid is doing now with the team as a whole, but I really wish Reid had Marty's ability to control the clock. But there were times when that backfired on Marty, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Reid is still a very good NFL coach.

His playcalling style is just out of date. IMO it would serve him well to admit this to himself and give up the playcalling duties
    Think it's a bit early to move on from Reid. Four winning seasons, three of them 11+ or more wins, one playoff victory, two playoff appearances, one AFC West championship (by the skin of our teeth, but a division crown nonetheless). Will never understand the love affair with the predictable screens, or tolerating the goofy time management, but still think it's too soon to move on from Reid.

IMHO what killed us this season (again) was the drops. This falls on the players and the coaches. If we'd cut our drops down - we don't have to be perfect, just cut the drops in half - this team would dominate.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/t...type=Receiving

The biggest need on offense is guard. Our interior OL gets overpowered too easily. This is why we have to pass in the goal line. We don't have the line to push our way in. Our interior run game is non existent, which let's the defense focus on stopping the runs outside.

I'm okay with Morse, because he is extremely good at recognizing the blitz and keeping his head on a swivel to help out the guards. But he needs strength on his sides to make up for his lack. Ehinger hopefully comes back with some strength put on. But we need to add another guard. I love LDT, especially the whole doctor story, but he gets pushed around too much.

Improve the interior OL, and suddenly Ware and west go back to averaging 4 ypc. Which means the D had to respect our run game. Smith has a cleaner pocket, and the D can't defend both the run and pass.

On Defense, if we sign Mitchell and Berry, then all we really need is possibly another ILB as the eventual replacement for DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Think it's a bit early to move on from Reid. Four winning seasons, three of them 11+ or more wins, one playoff victory, two playoff appearances, one AFC West championship (by the skin of our teeth, but a division crown nonetheless). Will never understand the love affair with the predictable screens, or tolerating the goofy time management, but still think it's too soon to move on from Reid.

IMHO what killed us this season (again) was the drops. This falls on the players and the coaches. If we'd cut our drops down - we don't have to be perfect, just cut the drops in half - this team would dominate.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/t...type=Receiving
    Don't get me wrong I'm not for firing Reid just someone above him insist he let the OC call the plays.

I agree that Drops had a lot to do with it. But the sideways passes also killed the offense in many games. We put ourselves in so many 3rd and 10+ because either on first or second down we had a screen that got blown up and lost yards because everyone and their freaking mother knew it was coming. Any offense in the NFL with any QB in the NFL is going to have a hard time scoring when you do that as many times as we did.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Did you see pays destroy pitsburg with uptempo offense? Now thats game planning in a week when chiefs had two weeks to prepare. Pats seen a weekness in young cbs and made them think fast with uptempo offense. Reid needs to hire an OC and let him call plays. Period. Reid never seems to have the team well prepared like he should.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Don't get me wrong I'm not for firing Reid just someone above him insist he let the OC call the plays.

I agree that Drops had a lot to do with it. But the sideways passes also killed the offense in many games. We put ourselves in so many 3rd and 10+ because either on first or second down we had a screen that got blown up and lost yards because everyone and their freaking mother knew it was coming. Any offense in the NFL with any QB in the NFL is going to have a hard time scoring when you do that as many times as we did.
    Can definitely understand the frustration with the screen (sideways) passes...They needed to be ripped out of Reid's play book two years ago. It's a miracle opposing cb's haven't jumped the routes for INT's more often than they did. When KC attacks downfield that's when we're at our best.

The way I understand it we've got three OC's...Reid and Nagy on the sidelines, and Childress in the booth. That's three people trying to agree on a play in thirty seconds. I'm not sure if this is common in the NFL, but if other teams are doing this it makes me wonder if they're suffering from the same time management issues that KC does.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Yes, I remember Todd McNair. Marty used him as a third down back similar to the way San Diego used Eric Bienemy (Our current running backs coach). Overall I like what Reid is doing now with the team as a whole, but I really wish Reid had Marty's ability to control the clock. But there were times when that backfired on Marty, too.
    I LOVED Todd McNair (Temple U) I swear he got the 1st down like 90% of the time. Decent runner, great hands. Always found a way. Glad there are still some "old-time" Chiefs that remember him.
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12