Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF?!?!?! Has the NFL gone NUTS!

Default WTF?!?!?! Has the NFL gone NUTS!

I'm confused as all hell. Somebody please explain to me....because I am obviously TOO STUPID to figure it out on my own.

#1) Tony Romo...a QB with a history of being unable to stay on the field is practically picking and choosing what teams will be graced with the privilege of paying him $25 million per year. WTF?

#2) Kirk Cousins of the Redskins looks like he will make $25 million this year and some people think Brian Hoyer, Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon, Geno Smith and Shaun Hill are big money QBs. WTF??? Has the NFL totally gone nuts? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694097-kirk-cousins-reportedly-wont-sign-new-contract-before-franchise-tag-deadline?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newslett er&utm_campaign=nfl

#3) This kind of craziness makes Alex Smith look like a bargain at an average of $17 million per year. WTF? Nothing against Alex but an NFL where he looks like a bargain at $17 million is totally CUCKOO!

#4) I just don't fudging get it. Somebody please explain this craziness to me?

Think a lot of it comes from when Romo got that $120 million dollar deal from Jerry Jones. That drove the price of free agent QB's up all across the league. Alex could very well turn into one of those guys that command even more money once his contract is up in KC, barring huge injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Think a lot of it comes from when Romo got that $120 million dollar deal from Jerry Jones. That drove the price of free agent QB's up all across the league. Alex could very well turn into one of those guys that command even more money once his contract is up in KC, barring huge injury.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I dunno, but $25 million per year seems like a boatload of money to me. Sort of seems to me that any QB getting that kind of contract should be required to GUARANTEE a Super Bowl appearance for every year of his contract. No Super Bowl appearance...LESS PAY. Maybe (probably) I am crazy, but it seems that anyone getting paid $25 million per year should have certain mandatory minimum performance levels built into their contract. Don't produce, don't get paid. Any world where Geno Smith gets mentioned in the same sentence as people that are going to make $25 million per year is COMPLETELY FUBAR.

Remember back in the '60's when people went cuckoo over Jets owner Sonny Werblin offering a then unheard of $400,000 contract to Joe Namath? That looks like peanuts compared to what you just illustrated.

And none of these QB's that you mentioned can throw that football the way that Namath could. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Remember back in the '60's when people went cuckoo over Jets owner Sonny Werblin offering a then unheard of $400,000 contract to Joe Namath? That looks like peanuts compared to what you just illustrated.

And none of these QB's that you mentioned can throw that football the way that Namath could. Not even close.
    Exactly. If it was Brady getting $25 million I'd understand, but most of the names in the article I linked are QBs who have never proved much of anything.

Just for giggles I checked the Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI Inflation Calculator https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm and it's says that Namath's $400,000 in '67 would be the equivalent of a touch less than $3 million today. Looks like Namath got screwed by today's standards. And you don't hear Namath complaining about concussions, busted up knees etc. In fact I don't think I've heard him complain about much of anything. Kind of odd in my books.

Well this year was the lowest football i watched in years. Beginning of the year i dvr thw games and juat scimmed through the game s thwn i started watching live halfway through the seaaon. With players refusing to atand for the flag and all the b.s. feom the nfl it turned me off from football. Nfl ratinga were down thiabyear and i think it will continue its decline. Plus the nfl is doing some bathroom sex mandate crap. Who cares. Who are they to twll a state they wont be able to host a suoerbowl cuz ofba bathroom law. Nfl thinks its so big and so important just like celebs.

Good point. When I read ctc's initial post, my first thought was when the Chiefs signed Montana for $10 million, and people complained back then about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Good point. When I read ctc's initial post, my first thought was when the Chiefs signed Montana for $10 million, and people complained back then about the money.
    And another good point, mentioning the other Joe. None of the QB's that ctc mentioned are anywhere close to the caliber of Montana. If you had the chance to get Montana as a FA in his prime at, say age 28, then yes, you'd fork out the 25 mill a year in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Well this year was the lowest football i watched in years. Beginning of the year i dvr thw games and juat scimmed through the game s thwn i started watching live halfway through the seaaon. With players refusing to atand for the flag and all the b.s. feom the nfl it turned me off from football. Nfl ratinga were down thiabyear and i think it will continue its decline. Plus the nfl is doing some bathroom sex mandate crap. Who cares. Who are they to twll a state they wont be able to host a suoerbowl cuz ofba bathroom law. Nfl thinks its so big and so important just like celebs.
    Same here. Just wasn't feeling it this year at all. I was wishing for the Chiefs to be successful, as always, but the overall interest wasn't there.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 02-23-2017 at 02:25 AM.

And another good point, mentioning the other Joe. None of the QB's that ctc mentioned are anywhere close to the caliber of Montana. If you had the chance to get Montana as a FA in his prime at, say age 28, then yes, you'd fork out the 25 mill a year in this day and age.
    Exactly. Namath, Montana a few others were of the caliber that in today's NFL should certainly command that kind of cash as a FA. But when they start mentioning Geno Smith, Shaun Hill, Matt Barkley and Mike Glennon in the same sentence as numbers like $25 million then you know that someone has completely lost their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Exactly. Namath, Montana a few others were of the caliber that in today's NFL should certainly command that kind of cash as a FA. But when they start mentioning Geno Smith, Shaun Hill, Matt Barkley and Mike Glennon in the same sentence as numbers like $25 million then you know that someone has completely lost their mind.
    None of those guys are worth 10 million a year & in my judgement, neither is Romo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast