Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dontari Poe Not likely to Receive Tag

Default Dontari Poe Not likely to Receive Tag

Report: Chiefs not expected to use franchise tag on Dontari Poe, free agency next?

by Joel Thorman@ArrowheadPride Mar 1, 2017, 9:26am CST

Here we go. The next big domino to fall is Dontari Poe(a very big domino). The Kansas City Chiefs are NOT expected to use the franchise tag on him. This according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport who indicates Poe will be hitting free agency.

And Adam Schefter:

Welp. The deadline to use the tag is 3 p.m. (Arrowhead Time) today. The Chiefs haven’t said anything. There is so much money on the free agent market right now that I wouldn’t expect him back if he hit free agency on March 9. I can’t say this is a major shocker but there was some question. I could’ve gone either way. Most of us thought this was a 50/50 deal. The downside to tagging Poe is the price tag - around $13 million. That’s a lot of money for a team who just signed two players to $119 million worth of contracts on Tuesday alone.
    The Chiefs seem to like Poe but for such a heavy guy with a back surgery and a ton of snaps on his resume I’m not sure it’s the best bet. I’d be curious to see what the market is for Poe.

Somebody is going to pay Poe a ton of cash. Probably more cash than I think he is worth. He has worked very hard for the money he's made as a Chief and with his size, back troubles and the wear and tear from all the snaps he's gotten I have to wonder if he is worth the kind of cash someone is going to pay him.

Nope he is not unfortunately let him walk

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    Nope he is not unfortunately let him walk
    I hate agreeing with that. He did great work for us. And it sure was fun when he lined up on offense. But he simply isn't worth the cap money that he is going to get. Wish he had offered to do a cap-friendly deal so he could stay with our Chiefs. But I can't blame him for chasing the big payday. Good luck BIG GUY!!! I think Andy Reid owes you a few cheeseburgers. I'll be sad to see him go.

We dont have a replacement for poe. Chris jones is not a Nose tackle.

​He outplayed Poe last year according to the analysts ad I agree with them, maybe th time has come for Poe to be a 2 down run stuffer

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    ​He outplayed Poe last year according to the analysts ad I agree with them, maybe th time has come for Poe to be a 2 down run stuffer
    Not going to happen. Some team out there is going to show him crazy money. Hate it but I suspect it is true. Damned salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Not going to happen. Some team out there is going to show him crazy money. Hate it but I suspect it is true. Damned salary cap.
    CT: I so agree. Big (& decent) NT are very hard to find. He'll be gone my New England friend (sigh....)
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    We dont have a replacement for poe. Chris jones is not a Nose tackle.
    Agreed. Hopefully they have their eye on someone in the draft, but I'm not looking for our DL to be the same after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Poe and jones sont play the same position and its differemt situation. So you cant compare them. Your comoarimg stats that are irrelevant. Jones is not a NT. A NT if he does his job right will nor get much stats. His main job is to occupy blockers to free up linebackers ro make the plays. Alot of DJ's success is due ro poes abililty to stamd up against double teams. Jones is good at penetrating double teams but hos job as a nt would be to hols ground and hold the blockers up not to penetrate. So its a totally different scenario. Jones is not a NT. We mighr be better suites as a 4-3 system if we lose poe since a 4-3 system doesn't us a NT. They use 2 Dt which is different tham a nt and jones could be a great penetrating defensive tackle. So dont get it twisted. Jones is not a NT. Only time he would be good at NT is on rushing the passer but not when it comes to the run or holdimg blockers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast