Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge Chiefs Cut WOW

Default Huge Chiefs Cut WOW

Chiefs cut Jaye Howard, free up cap space

by Joel Thorman@ArrowheadPride Apr 22, 2017, 1:49pm CDT

Sometimes I get hints of moves that are coming but I don’t have enough information to report it or confirm anything. This one I heard was a very real possibility and it’s here. The Kansas City Chiefs have cut defensive lineman Jaye Howard.

First Dontari Poe and now Howard. He ended last year in IR and has been working out on his own away from the team. It’s a surprise but there’s some logic in the move. They’re not just cutting players to cut players.
    The Chiefs often have just two down linemen so I can see not wanting to pay a guy that much now that you have Chris Jones and Bennie Logan. What I don’t get is how the Chiefs are supposed to get better against the run, which was a problem last year. Maybe Logan helps there.
    Poll

Do you approve of the Chiefs decision to cut Jaye Howard?

• Approve
    • Do not approve

VOTE view results

The Chiefs now have Chris Jones and Allen Bailey coming back, along with Rakeem Nunez-Roches and Jarvis Jenkins. Add in Bennie Logan and that’s your core. Clearly the Chiefs felt they had some depth there where they could afford to cut Howard.

This makes you think the Chiefs are going to draft a defensive lineman next week in the draft. The Chiefs draft 27th which is far down the draft order so there’s no way the Chiefs cut Howard knowing they would replace him in the first round next week. Who knows who will be there? They gotta feel OK with the group they have now. They still have depth there.

This move saves $3.875 million against the cap. His deal did have $2.5 million guaranteed so the Chiefs will eat that unless ...

Here’s to hoping someone signs Howard.
    Update: Terez had some more updates on the money situation which is ... weird. This changes how I look at this move.

Wow surprised at that move. Chris Jones and Nunez-Roches must be having incredible offseason improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Wow surprised at that move. Chris Jones and Nunez-Roches must be having incredible offseason improvements.
    Or Howard has a lasting injury. Or is getting ready to face a suspension that hasn't been announced yet.

I'm totally confused by this move. One thing is for certain though...unless something amazing happens between now and Thursday then I think we need to draft Defense early and often.

Cause cutting him actually Costa us money so, I kinda feel like this is move 1 of 2 like something big is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Cause cutting him actually Costa us money so, I kinda feel like this is move 1 of 2 like something big is coming
    You could well be right. But based on the info we fans have now this is totally confusing. As a Chiefs fan I just have to trust that this is part of some Dorsey plan...or that there was something going on with Howard (Injury? Legal?) that none of us currently know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Or Howard has a lasting injury. Or is getting ready to face a suspension that hasn't been announced yet.
    True....but I was trying to be a "Glass-is-half-full" kind of person...

Think we're going to miss Dontari Poe...

Or they could just draft another stud like Chris Jones and our line would consist of Jones, Logan and a Stud we draft. That would be deadly

Chris jones will fill in at hoywards spot. Chris jones is a DE not a NT. Im not even sure the logan guy feim eagles is a NT either. Hes much lighter and the eagles didnt seem to make him hold up blockers for the lb. He was more a penetrating guy. Not sure how he fits our system unless we play him at de as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Think we're going to miss Dontari Poe...
    Which is part of the reason why I think we need to draft Defense early and often. Overall in most stats last year our D wasn't very good. They gave up yards like a sieve gives up water. But they made up for it with CLUTCH plays. 33 forced turnovers. (#1 in the NFL). Tied with the Raiders for best turnover plus/minus ratio in the NFL. Our D was GREAT at "clutch plays". But when it came to the day-to-day grind of forcing 3 and outs or 6 and outs our D pretty much sucked. We need to invest in DEFENSE in a big way in this year's draft. A stronger D in the trenches that forces 3 or 6 and outs will get our offense 2 or 3 more posessions per game and that will equal more points.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast