Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Mahomes...

Default Thoughts on Mahomes...

I've had some time to ponder this decision and do some research so I thought I'd offer my opinions about Mahomes and moving up to get him. I don't follow the college game so I never have any specific opinions about prospects before the draft.

#1) I don't think we overpaid to move up 17 slots in the draft. Especially not if our pick next year turns out to be somewhere between #20 and #32. Since I think that is likely I'm OK with what we paid to get the right to pick him.

#2) He's got a HUGE ARM. I'm surprised NASA isn't talking to him about putting satellites into orbit. I've been watching football for about 50 years and while I'm sure there have been QBs that had bigger arms none are coming to mind at the moment. This kid has an ICBM for an arm.

#3) He's ACCURATE at almost any distance and he doesn't throw "floaters". He does make some terrible mistakes but I'll address that later.

#4) He's not afraid to take off with the ball if he doesn't see anyone to throw it to. I don't want any QB to make a habit of it but sometimes it can really pay off. He needs to learn some judgement. He's no good to anyone if he's on IR from a hit while running. But I DO like a QB that is willing to run when he's got no open targets and thinks he can get a 1st down (or close) with his legs. There are times to take off with the ball and there are times to just throw it out of bounds. That takes JUDGEMENT in a split second.

#5) He's green as hell. He doesn't come from an NFL style offense. He has a LOT of learning to do.

#6) Some of the plays I have seen him make showed TERRIBLE judgement. Throwing into double and triple coverage where the defenders were ALL OVER the receiver. But I am going to cut him a little slack on that. The team he played for gave up an average of over 44 points per game! That's OVER 6 TDs per game!!! If you are the QB on a team like that you MUST go on to the field ON EVERY POSSESSION the same way an NFL QB goes on to the field with 58 seconds left, no timeouts and down by 4. Poor kid went onto the field on every possession with the attitude that if he didn't throw a touchdown the game was over and they would lose. That is a SURE RECIPE for A LOT of bad judgement choices on when to throw and when not to throw.

#7) So what we have is a QB that could be HISTORICALLY GOOD. He could also be historically bad. It will all depend on if our coaching staff can transform him from what he was in college to what he NEEDS TO BE in the NFL. And if he is WILLING to accept what he is being taught. A LOT of players coming out of college think they already know it all.

Summary...Reid and Dorsey have made a statement that we now have our QBOTF and they paid a fairly hefty price for the guy they wanted. And it's a MAJOR GAMBLE. They are gambling that Mahomes has the character to accept the coaching he needs to make the transition from Texas Tech to the NFL. They have also gambled that our coaching staff has the ability to give Mahomes the training he needs to make that transition. IMO Reid and Dorsey have both staked their jobs with the Chiefs on Mahomes. I can't help but admire the confidence that takes. The "Mahomes Era" will start in 2018 or 2019 and I hope it is the start of a 10-15 year "HOMEGROWN" DYNASTY!!!
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 04-28-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Both of you men (Matt and CTC) make good points. To me, the time to strike was NOW. This was the right time to take a shot at a QB in the 1st round (not 2013). And they did it the right way. They heavily scrutinized these QB prospects & put each of them through a 6-hour screening process & came to the conclusion that Mahomes was the right guy & Dorsey started making calls to Buffalo and asked what they would want for a trade-up. I don't have a problem with giving up the 1st rounder in 2018, if Mahomes becomes a quality QB. It will be worth it.

Something about Mahomes strikes me as different from any other QB they have ever drafted.
    Just so! The entire staff did their "due diligence" and they seem to have reached a consensus that Mahomes was "the guy". So many 1st round QBs turn out to busts so you can never tell, but IMO Mahomes has the tools so it is only a matter of if our coaching staff can teach him to use them at the NFL level. Many say Reid is a "QB Whisperer"....well...we're going to find out. So long as he turns out to be AT LEAST as good as Alex then I'm OK with this pick.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Defensive Front 7 player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    We need a LB or 2, CB (Sydney Jones), 2 DE and a RB
    I'm all in for going after Defense from here on out but if a RB that looks good is available when we are on the clock that would be hard to argue with. "Thunder and Lightning" were not as impressive in 2016 as they were in 2015. But ABOVE ALL I think we need to invest in our Defense.

I called that trade, I should work for the Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I'm all in for going after Defense from here on out but if a RB that looks good is available when we are on the clock that would be hard to argue with. "Thunder and Lightning" were not as impressive in 2016 as they were in 2015. But ABOVE ALL I think we need to invest in our Defense.

Don't forget about Spiller he is the dark horse in this if Dorsey is correct and he got his moves back that could be very dangerous

I called that trade, I should work for the Chiefs
    You sure as hell DID! And several days before the draft. IMPRESSIVE! I for one was FLABBERGASTED by that trade. I just hope that Mahomes turns out to be as good as you said Tyreek Hill would be. You got that one right as well!

Don't forget about Spiller he is the dark horse in this if Dorsey is correct and he got his moves back that could be very dangerous
    True, but he's still a short-term solution even if he is totally rejuvenated in KC. He's got a 1 year cheap deal and he is 29 years old. Not young for a RB. Unless a miracle happens and he becomes Marcus Allen 2.0 he won't be around by the time Mahomes is starting. From a cap space point of view and with there being a fair number of RBs in this class this would be a good time to pick up a RB in the 3rd or 4th round and get 4 years out of him for very little money. RBs just don't get the respect they used to 30 years ago unless they are superstars.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    [/B]Oh Mahomes will make a nice pass in OTAs and there will be calls for him to start

For Alex to get us to a super bowl he would have to get hot at just the right time. Is it possible sure is it likely no. I will root for it to happen for sure.
    YUP! Reid is going to have to ignore the calls for Smith to be benched every time Smith makes a poor throw for one or two years. That won't be easy, but it's the RIGHT thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    There are so many Alex Smith haters that I can't imagine there won't be calls for Mahomes to get a start by week 2. Especially if we lose week 1 in NE.
    I doubt it will take that long. There will be people calling for him to start week 1.

YUP! Reid is going to have to ignore the calls for Smith to be benched every time Smith makes a poor throw for one or two years. That won't be easy, but it's the RIGHT thing to do.
    Quite correct. People need to remember that Mahomes is a junior that came out early & he has a lot to learn. Throwing Mahomes to the wolves too early is a recipe for failure. With that said, once he gets a couple of training camps under his belt, let's hope he is ready to push for a starting job.

I doubt it will take that long. There will be people calling for him to start week 1.
    There already are. Some people just don't have a clue.

i think the most telling comment i heard on him was he is more of a gunslinger than brett favre where as favre will make 20 good plays to 3 or 4 bone head plays, this guy may make 15 or 20 of the bad ones to his 20 good ones. he will throw to anyone at any time believing he can make it. can he be coached up...i hope so ala cam newton, jameson winston etc.. or does he become the next jamarcus russel. i just think we paid too much for this lottery ticket
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast