Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Mahomes...

Default Thoughts on Mahomes...

I've had some time to ponder this decision and do some research so I thought I'd offer my opinions about Mahomes and moving up to get him. I don't follow the college game so I never have any specific opinions about prospects before the draft.

#1) I don't think we overpaid to move up 17 slots in the draft. Especially not if our pick next year turns out to be somewhere between #20 and #32. Since I think that is likely I'm OK with what we paid to get the right to pick him.

#2) He's got a HUGE ARM. I'm surprised NASA isn't talking to him about putting satellites into orbit. I've been watching football for about 50 years and while I'm sure there have been QBs that had bigger arms none are coming to mind at the moment. This kid has an ICBM for an arm.

#3) He's ACCURATE at almost any distance and he doesn't throw "floaters". He does make some terrible mistakes but I'll address that later.

#4) He's not afraid to take off with the ball if he doesn't see anyone to throw it to. I don't want any QB to make a habit of it but sometimes it can really pay off. He needs to learn some judgement. He's no good to anyone if he's on IR from a hit while running. But I DO like a QB that is willing to run when he's got no open targets and thinks he can get a 1st down (or close) with his legs. There are times to take off with the ball and there are times to just throw it out of bounds. That takes JUDGEMENT in a split second.

#5) He's green as hell. He doesn't come from an NFL style offense. He has a LOT of learning to do.

#6) Some of the plays I have seen him make showed TERRIBLE judgement. Throwing into double and triple coverage where the defenders were ALL OVER the receiver. But I am going to cut him a little slack on that. The team he played for gave up an average of over 44 points per game! That's OVER 6 TDs per game!!! If you are the QB on a team like that you MUST go on to the field ON EVERY POSSESSION the same way an NFL QB goes on to the field with 58 seconds left, no timeouts and down by 4. Poor kid went onto the field on every possession with the attitude that if he didn't throw a touchdown the game was over and they would lose. That is a SURE RECIPE for A LOT of bad judgement choices on when to throw and when not to throw.

#7) So what we have is a QB that could be HISTORICALLY GOOD. He could also be historically bad. It will all depend on if our coaching staff can transform him from what he was in college to what he NEEDS TO BE in the NFL. And if he is WILLING to accept what he is being taught. A LOT of players coming out of college think they already know it all.

Summary...Reid and Dorsey have made a statement that we now have our QBOTF and they paid a fairly hefty price for the guy they wanted. And it's a MAJOR GAMBLE. They are gambling that Mahomes has the character to accept the coaching he needs to make the transition from Texas Tech to the NFL. They have also gambled that our coaching staff has the ability to give Mahomes the training he needs to make that transition. IMO Reid and Dorsey have both staked their jobs with the Chiefs on Mahomes. I can't help but admire the confidence that takes. The "Mahomes Era" will start in 2018 or 2019 and I hope it is the start of a 10-15 year "HOMEGROWN" DYNASTY!!!
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 04-28-2017 at 03:55 PM.

I love it and it's something as I've stated we had to do

Yes we gave up a pretty penny for him but the guy can make some amazing throws. He's not ready yet so this is still an Alex Smith team but if he lives up to what he can be then the price will look like a bargain and we will finally get a super bowl. Now it's up to Mahomes and Reid to make sure he lives up to what he can be.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Here are my thoughts, NO one knows what he is until he plays. Anyone saying we reached or saying he is the next Tom Brady is not doing him or any other player justice.

There have been so many failed quarterbacks that are supposed to be the next big thing. There are also many who come out of the woods and shock everyone. This includes Tom Brady, Drew Breeze, R. Wilson, Prescott etc... Anything anyone says about him, is moot at this point. He is our QBOTF until he proves anything else. I am excited. Just as I am with every Chief.

Both of you men (Matt and CTC) make good points. To me, the time to strike was NOW. This was the right time to take a shot at a QB in the 1st round (not 2013). And they did it the right way. They heavily scrutinized these QB prospects & put each of them through a 6-hour screening process & came to the conclusion that Mahomes was the right guy & Dorsey started making calls to Buffalo and asked what they would want for a trade-up. I don't have a problem with giving up the 1st rounder in 2018, if Mahomes becomes a quality QB. It will be worth it.

Something about Mahomes strikes me as different from any other QB they have ever drafted.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 04-28-2017 at 05:05 PM.

This is the most excited I've been about a Chiefs pick since Travis Kelce. I think my excitement around Mahomes is more of an indictment of our dink and dunk offense than anything. Even if Mahomes doesn't pan out, I think it was a good gamble taken at the right time for our organization.

The reality is that you can't win Superbowls in this league without a QB that can drive your team to victory when the game is on the line. Mahomes has the arm strength to squeeze balls into tight coverage on that final drive. And he's in the perfect situation where he won't be forced to learn Andy's system overnight because we have Alex Smith. There are so many Alex Smith haters that I can't imagine there won't be calls for Mahomes to get a start by week 2. Especially if we lose week 1 in NE.
    Last edited by Coach; 04-28-2017 at 05:08 PM.

I am expecting big things with our second pick!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I am expecting big things with our second pick!!!!!
    What does everyone want?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    This is the most excited I've been about a Chiefs pick since Travis Kelce. I think my excitement around Mahomes is more of an indictment of our dink and dunk offense than anything. Even if Mahomes doesn't pan out, I think it was a good gamble taken at the right time for our organization.

The reality is that you can't win Superbowls in this league without a QB that can drive your team to victory when the game is on the line. Mahomes has the arm strength to squeeze balls into tight coverage on that final drive. And he's in the perfect situation where he won't be forced to learn Andy's system overnight because we have Alex Smith. There are so many Alex Smith haters that I can't imagine there won't be calls for Mahomes to get a start by week 2. Especially if we lose week 1 in NE.

Oh Mahomes will make a nice pass in OTAs and there will be calls for him to start

For Alex to get us to a super bowl he would have to get hot at just the right time. Is it possible sure is it likely no. I will root for it to happen for sure.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    What does everyone want?
    Defensive Front 7 player.

We need a LB or 2, CB (Sydney Jones), 2 DE and a RB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast