Thread: 2017 Chiefs Undrafted Free Agent Tracker Thread

Default 2017 Chiefs Undrafted Free Agent Tracker Thread

Auburn WR Tony Stevens

Alabama WR Gehrig Dieter

Nebraska WR Alonzo Moore

Montana CB J.R. Nelson

So far have signed FA deals

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Actually i think mahomes wont play till 2019. I think alex Smith will feel the pressure and will be more aggressive and will have a great year and will force mahomes to sit another year. Smith had great years in sf when he had kapernick breathing down hos neck.
    I agree COMPLETELY! As I said, the EARLIEST I expect Mahomes to take over is 2018. The kid has a LOT to learn and a LOT to UNLEARN and if we throw him into the fray too early he will revert to what he was in college and turn into a bust. The COMPLETE KEY to making Mahomes a success in the NFL is PATIENCE. IMO we are pretty much committed to Alex for 2017 and 2018 so long as he stays healthy. It's 2019 where I EXPECT Mahomes to take over as the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    A TON WR bodies in camp this year.

Hopefully at least one of them sticks
    From a roster perspective I think we will only keep 1 or 2 of all the WRs we have picked up (both drafted and UDFA) but I suspect we'll try to squirrel away another 1 or 2 on the practice squad. Mahomes was not picked to be an immediate starter so it only makes sense to while we are developing a new QB to also be developing a bunch of new WRs so that when Mahomes is made the starter he has several equally young WRs that he has had extensive experience practicing with. Maybe I am being too optimistic, but I believe that Dorsey and Reid's goal is that when Mahomes officially replaces Alex that we also replace most if not all of our WR corps.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    It would have to be a REALLY good year with his cap number in 18

And if he has that good of year then this team has a real good chance to win that superbowl
    VERY TRUE! But crazy as it sounds, we must remember that Alex's cap number for 2018 ($20.6 million) just isn't going to be all that high for a starting QB when you take into account the annual cap increase. And we should keep in mind that Alex is a "team player". He proved it in SF when he didn't whine about losing his starting job to Kaepernick and he has already renegotiated his deal to help the Chiefs out with cap issues. He may not be an "Elite QB" but there is no doubt that he is a team player. He's going to be 33 very shortly and he knows he is not our QBOTF. I could easily imagine him renegotiating his 2018 contract to stay around for 2019 for not much more money overall as sort of a "transition year" from him as the #1 to Mahomes. Alex ain't stupid. He knows that the Chiefs are the end of the line for him as a #1 QB and once Mahomes takes over I doubt he'll be wanting to sign with another team as an aging backup so I think that if after the 2017 season the Chiefs asked him to convert his $20.6 million 2018 cap hit into a 2 year $24.6 million cap hit (thereby saving the Chiefs something like $8 million in cap space for 2018) that he would have no problem doing so. It would be an extra $4 million in his pocket over the course of his career, it would help the Chiefs out and crazy at it sounds I think that that is just the kind of man he is. He'll figure he's made his money and if an extra $4 million in his pocket for an extra year will help the Chiefs then he will do it. It would also make sense for the Chiefs. We had Chase Daniel as a $4 million backup for 3 years. Why not keep Alex around for an extra year, split his 2018 cap hit over 2 years and save ourselves $8 million in 2018? If we did that, our overall QB cap hit in 2019 would be roughly $12.5 million for Alex plus whatever Mahomes 3rd year contract was. STILL much less then the average cap hit for a starting QB in the NFL.

Can you imagine in the preseason if Mahomes throws a 60 yard bomb, what people will start screaming for

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Can you imagine in the preseason if Mahomes throws a 60 yard bomb, what people will start screaming for
    They already are screaming for Mahomes to be the starter. I say, let him get a couple of training camps under his belt & let him sit and learn for a bit before throwing him into the fire. His time will come soon enough.

He probably will. And if he does, I hope Reid slaps him on the head if that wasn't the play that was called. Mahomes was drafted to LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NFL GAME AND THE COLLEGE GAME not to continue his college career. Once he has learned the NFL game, proved himself and earned the #1 position THEN he can go out and take risks when that is what needs to be done. Because there certainly is a place in the NFL for a "gunslinger" but not until he has learned when to pull his gun and when not to.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    They already are screaming for Mahomes to be the starter. I say, let him get a couple of training camps under his belt & let him sit and learn for a bit before throwing him into the fire. His time will come soon enough.
    You couldn't be more right.

RB Ferrell Edmund's

Tulsa Punter Dalton Parks

Missouri Western OL Travis Anderson

Western Kentucky LS Nolan Dowling
    Interesting. Not sure I am a fan of this kid replacing Winchester.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123