Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst chiefs draft ever!!

Thumbs down Worst chiefs draft ever!!

i am sooooo bummed. waisted picks given away and for what. hey i have been wrong a bunch and i really hope this is one of those times but i just don't see it. we move up to get a QB that has a cannon for an arm, throws a nice deep ball but does not read defenses well, makes mental errors, will throw off balance and with poor mechanics often. don't we already have that QB and his name is Tyler Bray. they say mahomes may be 2 to 3 years away from learning to be a starter...so why waist a first round on a QB now, we can get a more pro ready in the next 2 years. we get a DL that is a project ,,,again with a high pick, then move up to get a running back that is not believed to be a feature back. then lets get a WR that will be at [best] be a #2, more likely a #3 or even #4. with all of the picks we had going into this draft we could have addressed areas of need and added depth...neither of which we did. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS DRAFT!!! we are pinning our future on UDFA since we did not do much with our picks.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Who do you think won't make the team I guarantee you all of them will
    Mahomes is a maybe, never under center, will throw from any arm angle to anywhere when on the run...huge potential big ?
    Tahno a physical freak w/poor technique..uses bull rush primarily...needs work...again huge potential another ?
    Hunt..a solid back can make initial tackler miss, good hands, does not pass protect well, lacks big speed burst to pick up big gains after contact...should make team but not as feature back...not a Jamal Charles, but then again who is.
    Chesson...may make team but as a #3 or #4...we have those

my point is I know we did not pick a putz like trezelle jenkins, however we had an opportunity to load up on talent at need positions...ILB, DB, OL, DL or at the very least at solid depth...we have all seen what an injury can do. instead we added project players and ?'s...i believe we thru away a golden opportunity for a lot of maybe's

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    i am sooooo bummed. waisted picks given away and for what. hey i have been wrong a bunch and i really hope this is one of those times but i just don't see it. we move up to get a QB that has a cannon for an arm, throws a nice deep ball but does not read defenses well, makes mental errors, will throw off balance and with poor mechanics often. don't we already have that QB and his name is Tyler Bray. they say mahomes may be 2 to 3 years away from learning to be a starter...so why waist a first round on a QB now, we can get a more pro ready in the next 2 years. we get a DL that is a project ,,,again with a high pick, then move up to get a running back that is not believed to be a feature back. then lets get a WR that will be at [best] be a #2, more likely a #3 or even #4. with all of the picks we had going into this draft we could have addressed areas of need and added depth...neither of which we did. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS DRAFT!!! we are pinning our future on UDFA since we did not do much with our picks.
    Without a doubt this was a weird draft. NOT AT ALL what I was expecting. And amazingly aggressive for the Chiefs. I mean...when was the last time we made trades to move up 3 times in one draft including moving up 17 slots in the first round to draft a guy who most everyone agrees is going to need 1-3 years of grooming before he is ready to start? VERY STRANGE.

But because I think very well of the Dorsey/Reid team I've been asking myself the simple question..."Why did they do it?" I've come up with a theory that seems just as weird as this draft and beg your indulgence to read it and think about it before calling me a complete crackpot.

First off, Dorsey/Reid (hereinafter referred to as D/R) came to a team that was just flat BROKEN. 2-14. Suicides in the parking lot. Banners being flown over the stadium. A QB who was probably having nightmares every night about the next hit he would take. A Coach who was a nice guy but he was about as capable of coaching a team as a janitor who gets promoted to CEO of a Fortune 500 company. This team was BROKEN mentally and physically. Those are facts.

But we did have some VERY GOOD PLAYERS. So Hunt fired the coach and GM and brought in D/R.

What normally happens when a new GM and HC are brought in? The team gets BLOWN UP and full rebuild mode begins. BUT THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN! Instead D/R traded for the best veteran QB that was available on the market--Alex Smith. Is he a work-beater? No. But he replaced poor old Matt Cassell who DESPERATELY needed to be replaced. We had the #1 overall pick that year and many new GM/HC combinations would have spent it on the best QB in the draft but instead we spent it on O-line. We also didn't make too many "flashy" moves that year. In short, D/R did not "blow up" the team like almost any other new GM/HC team would have. Instead they replaced a totally broken QB and then focused on rebuilding a winning culture in KC. How did that unorthodox move turn out? We went 11-5 and made the playoffs! NOT TOO SHABBY for a team whose players were 90% the same as the ones who had gone 2-14 the year before. D/R had made the players believe in THEMSELVES and their LEADERSHIP again.

Over the next 3 years we went 9-7, 11-5 12-4 and won a playoff game--something we hadn't done in 22 years. NOT TOO SHABBY!

Here is where my theory gets a little weird. THIS YEAR D/R "blew up" the team. Not one big explosion, but the start of a series of small ones. They realized that the team they had was always going to be respectable (Marty-style) but was not a team that was likely to win a Super Bowl. So instead of trying to add players that could make this "close but no cigar" team a little closer but still with no cigar they decided to keep the team respectable but start building a team that could win a Super Bowl 2-4 years down the road. A brand new QB that needs a lot of training in the "mechanics" of being an NFL QB but is without a doubt in the traditional model of the current NFL Super Bowl winning QB. I mean let's not kid ourselves...who is the NFL QB that Mahomes is most often compared to? Brett Favre. Favre was raw and green and he rode the pine for what....3 years. And just for ships and grins, who was in Green Bay when Favre was turned from a MASSIVE FAILURE with the Falcons (who originally drafted him) into a Super Bowl winner??? I forget. Wait. NO! I remember. Dorsey and Reid!

So here is my theory in a nutshell. D/R are now in full rebuild mode for this year and probably the next year or two while still trying to keep the Chiefs competitive. That was what Marty and management never did. They were always trying to find "just one more piece" that would push the Chiefs over the top. I didn't work. Is this a dangerous gamble? Yes. But at the same time, I think it is a strategy that avoids the "roller-coaster" of being good then being terrible, then rebuilding, then being good and then repeating on the same miserable treadmill.

So chiefnut I ask you to consider all this and ask yourself a simple question...."Have D/R earned the right to build a new team that is 100% of their own making?" For me, the answer is a resounding YES! They fixed a Chiefs team that was BROKEN and in fact seemed to be FUBAR. We are respectable again. Actually better than just respectable. I expect the next 2-3 years will be a little rough. We may see some 9-7 or 8-8 teams. But at least I feel that if that happens there is a PURPOSE behind it and that is an all out effort to build a team that can dominate for a decade or more. D/R have EARNED a 5 year extension on their contracts to see if this crazy thing they are attempting will work. Or anyway, that is how I view things.

Mahomes is a maybe, never under center, will throw from any arm angle to anywhere when on the run...huge potential big ?
    Tahno a physical freak w/poor technique..uses bull rush primarily...needs work...again huge potential another ?
    Hunt..a solid back can make initial tackler miss, good hands, does not pass protect well, lacks big speed burst to pick up big gains after contact...should make team but not as feature back...not a Jamal Charles, but then again who is.
    Chesson...may make team but as a #3 or #4...we have those

my point is I know we did not pick a putz like trezelle jenkins, however we had an opportunity to load up on talent at need positions...ILB, DB, OL, DL or at the very least at solid depth...we have all seen what an injury can do. instead we added project players and ?'s...i believe we thru away a golden opportunity for a lot of maybe's

That's the thing IMO we have solid depth everywhere, no position was a need, so we had the luxury to get the future 6 stud players

i will admit that Dorsey and Reid have worked miracles with what was a team with a dismal future. i have also said i have made my fair share of mistakes and i hope this is one. i have no choice but to wait and watch with nervous anticipation how this unfolds, but it is hard to shake my gut reaction.

Sometimes you have to take risks & Mahomes might been one of them, then gain maybe not. Great release, insane arm, some touch & MENTAL toughness. We have to live with it. I don't like coughing up 2-2's & a 3rd, but we did move up 17 picks! We might look back & stay "Wow...what a steal" Or maybe not. OR we broke the KC drafting QB class! It about time if we did!
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

We only swapped 1st's round gave up a 3rd this year and 1st next year but with the 32nd pick in next years draft it doesn't matter anyway

i will admit that Dorsey and Reid have worked miracles with what was a team with a dismal future. i have also said i have made my fair share of mistakes and i hope this is one. i have no choice but to wait and watch with nervous anticipation how this unfolds, but it is hard to shake my gut reaction.

YUP!!! The 2017 draft has happened and there is nothing more for us fans than to hope it turns out to have been a GREAT draft. And it will be a tough wait because we're not going to know a thing about Mahomes until 2018 at the earliest. You don't feel too great about it and I feel pretty good. One of us will be right and the other wrong. Nice thing is BOTH OF US hope I'm right! :)

We only swapped 1st's round gave up a 3rd this year and 1st next year but with the 32nd pick in next years draft it doesn't matter anyway
    Of all the the predictions that I've seen you make, I certainly would love to see that one come to pass. I'll add to that prediction -- Donkeys will be picking 1st and the pick will be a DUD.

Absolutely love the trick enthusiasm in that statement. GO CHIEFS

To the OP - IMHO This draft was not the most exciting draft ever, but I look at this draft the same way I looked at the draft in '14...Sort of a "think ahead" draft. We'll probably not be seeing the real benefits of these guys for a couple of years.

With that being said and out of the way, this draft is NOT the worst draft in KC history. Far from it. The '83 draft when we selected Todd Blackledge will go down as worst for me. When Blackledge flopped it put the KC's front office into the mindset of trusting only free agent QB's for the next thirty four years. King Carl was very hit or miss in the draft; He did much, much better in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Absolutely love the trick enthusiasm in that statement. GO CHIEFS

To the OP - IMHO This draft was not the most exciting draft ever, but I look at this draft the same way I looked at the draft in '14...Sort of a "think ahead" draft. We'll probably not be seeing the real benefits of these guys for a couple of years.

With that being said and out of the way, this draft is NOT the worst draft in KC history. Far from it. The '83 draft when we selected Todd Blackledge will go down as worst for me. When Blackledge flopped it put the KC's front office into the mindset of trusting only free agent QB's for the next thirty four years. King Carl was very hit or miss in the draft; He did much, much better in free agency.
    Not just Blackledge. There were high 2nd round picks, Mike Elkins (1989) and Matt Blundin (1992) that also flopped during the CP/Marty era.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast