Thread: Something feels different

Default Something feels different

Many drafts have come and many have gone. But there's something about this draft that IMO shows that we are really close to being a real contender.

And No it's not the fact that for the first time in my life time they took a 1st round QB.

It's the aggression that this team showed. I don't think I've ever seen any Chiefs team move up to go get someone that they wanted in a draft. Starting with the above mentioned 1st round QB.

This is something IMO because I think it shows that they are closer then they have been in a LONG LONG time. And can now afford to take the risk and be aggressive. That's something that I think they have missed out on for a long time and I love to see it back.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I particularly liked the move up to get the RB, even though others didn't. They probably didn't like the Priest Holmes signing back in 2001, either, but we know how that turned out.

i don't see anything in this draft to make us a better team this year
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

The RB Hunt and DE Tanoh will be immediate contributers

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I particularly liked the move up to get the RB, even though others didn't. They probably didn't like the Priest Holmes signing back in 2001, either, but we know how that turned out.
    That's what I really like about this draft. It wasn't just a gamble on a QB. It was a series of picks that said that Dorsey and Reid are not satisfied with just having made the Chiefs respectable again but instead want to make the Chiefs great and are what they need to keep the Chiefs competitive but are mostly looking to build a Chiefs team that 3-4 years down the road can replace the Pats as the perennial rulers of the AFC. It's a RISK but it's better than just settling for always being "good". Good is good. I like "good". But I want Dorsey and Reid to take risks in an effort to make the Chiefs GREAT 3-4 years down the line. And after what they have done the last 4 years I think they deserve all of our trust while they take some risks to make us GREAT. After all....it is their own jobs that are really at risk.

If you look back at the CP/Vermeil era, you can see they didn't make any effort to prepare for life after Trent Green & the team sunk into the abyss from 2007 -- 2012 with the worst record of any team in the AFC.

As we said before CTC, if the Chiefs were going to draft a QBOTF, they had to do it this year or next year. I'm glad they got it out of the way.

It had to be done Demps. We both knew it. C4L knew it. Any sane Chiefs fan knew it. I thought next year was the year to do it, but the extra picks we had this year were the currency to pay for it. It's not like any time in the next 3 years we were ever going to have a top 3 pick if we just "played it safe". I wanted to trade those extra picks for picks next year but y'know I just don't know much compared to Dorsey and Reid. Hell! I'd make a worse GM than Pioli. Dorsey and Reid knew it had to be done so they scrutinized what was available this year and next and decided this was the year to do it. Whether they turn out to be right or wrong about Mahomes the important part to me is that they didn't draft with a view to keeping the Chiefs "good" or "competitive". Instead they drafted to try to build a Chiefs team that could DOMINATE the NFL starting around 2019 or 2020 WHILE STILL KEEPING THE CHIEFS GOOD IN THE INTERIM. Dorsey and Reid are not just thinking about "next year", they are thinking about the NEXT 10 YEARS! I hope they got it right, but even if they didn't I'm GRATEFUL that they are trying to achieve more than CP/Vermeil/Marty did. "Good" is not good enough for me. I want a GREAT Chiefs team and I would rather we had a GM/HC team that takes risks to "go for the gold" than just trying to make sure we always get "bronze".

Of course, what do I know? I'm just a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    i don't see anything in this draft to make us a better team this year
    Time will tell on that for sure you may end up being right

But sometimes you have to give yourself a chance. We've drafted the safe guys for a while now and it has gotten us here. Now we are taking some chances to see if it can get us to the promise land. Will it work? time will tell but we are giving ourselves a chance that IMO is a good thing
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Mike Mayock likes the Chiefs move up to take Mahomes.

http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-6...9-993618e31902