Thread: Concerns about all the network commentator layoffs...

Default Concerns about all the network commentator layoffs...

We've seen ESPN, CBS and others laying off NFL commentators. I don't much care. Haven't much cared who was the commentator since Cosell got canned. But one thing does concern me. Are the networks not making enough money broadcasting NFL games? TV rights are probably the biggest single source of revenue for the NFL. NFL salary cap is based on revenue. If the networks are losing money on their broadcast rights then maybe they won't pay as much as they have in the past when they renegotiate their contracts. That would mean a lower salary cap. That WORRIES me.

Am I worried about nothing or is this a legitimate concern?

I haven't really heard of CBS layoffs

ESPN has a lot to do with other sports then the NFL. And some other choices that they have made like getting into the politics area on their website and driving people away from their website because of that. It has more to do with poor choices then the NFL IMO
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I haven't really heard of CBS layoffs

ESPN has a lot to do with other sports then the NFL. And some other choices that they have made like getting into the politics area on their website and driving people away from their website because of that. It has more to do with poor choices then the NFL IMO
    Thanks!

ESPN does a lot of sports indeed. But really ESPN is no longer the cable sports channel with the emergence of Fox Sports and SEC Network on the rise.
    ​Happy Halloween 2021

Quote Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
    ESPN does a lot of sports indeed. But really ESPN is no longer the cable sports channel with the emergence of Fox Sports and SEC Network on the rise.

This is also a factor.

While ratings might be down I don't think that the business side of the NFL has really been hurt all that much. There are so many revenue streams that they have one being down won't make that much of a difference. If it would have any impact on the cap then it would be a very slight one and not one that would really impact very many teams at all if any. IMO
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    This is also a factor.

While ratings might be down I don't think that the business side of the NFL has really been hurt all that much. There are so many revenue streams that they have one being down won't make that much of a difference. If it would have any impact on the cap then it would be a very slight one and not one that would really impact very many teams at all if any. IMO
    Appreciate the reassurance.

They were paying those announcers way too much and there was way too many of them. I mean Chris Berman was making 20 mil. just to say Whoop and BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK.............................................. .. BACK BACK BACK......... BACK BACK AND gone. They can hire cheaper and just asefficient people.