Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs rookie class -- in their own words

Default Chiefs rookie class -- in their own words

Video of the Chiefs rookies talking about being selected by KC.

http://www.chiefs.com/media-center/v...a-4795c4dbeb85

The upcoming season will be interesting to see what they can do.

GREAT stuff Demps!

Thanks, CTC. I know that on paper the Chiefs 2017 draft class may not look spectacular on paper, but closer inspection reveals that there is some HUGE upside to the top 4 players that were taken. Although, as far as making an instant splash, the most likely candidate is the RB, Kareem Hunt (and the Chiefs sorely need an upgraded rushing attack this year, no two ways about it.)

Tanoh will make an instant impact, actually they all will make an impact my bet is the Safety moves from Safety to the Slot and allows Nelson to cover the outside with Peters where Nelson is better anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Tanoh will make an instant impact, actually they all will make an impact my bet is the Safety moves from Safety to the Slot and allows Nelson to cover the outside with Peters where Nelson is better anyways
    McQuay is said to be working at the slot CB position. Tanoh is said to be working in the same manner as Hali, which is understandable, because even at 6'-7" and 290 lbs., he runs a 4.8 in forty yard dash, which is pretty fast for a man of his size.

BTW, CTC, Marvin H is back at Arrowhead Addict talking his usual dumb trash about how good his Donkeys are. We'll see when the season comes around.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 05-11-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Thanks, CTC. I know that on paper the Chiefs 2017 draft class may not look spectacular on paper, but closer inspection reveals that there is some HUGE upside to the top 4 players that were taken. Although, as far as making an instant splash, the most likely candidate is the RB, Kareem Hunt (and the Chiefs sorely need an upgraded rushing attack this year, no two ways about it.)
    If there is one thing we have all probably learned by now it is that our coaching staff is pretty adept at taking players who have not been especially respected (either in the draft or with other teams) and transforming them not to stars but into solid starters or backups. Ron Parker, Spencer Ware and Charcandrick West come quickly to mind but I'm sure there are several others. So I don't much concern myself with how a player looks "on paper". The big question on how a new prospect for the Chiefs seems to turn out is how they "buy into" the coaching methods they are being exposed to. If they "buy in" 100% and work hard they seem to become decent contributors even when other teams have given them multiple chances and decided that they simply didn't have what it takes.

Hey CTC, C4L, and anyone else for that matter -- it may have surprised us that the Chiefs did trade up like they did to #10 to take Mahomes. However, I came across this .gif image and saw this play today, for the 1st time.

THIS is totally mind-blowing!!

I'm sorry, but there is only one person to blame for this play being a failure -- Alex Smith. He only needs to do the one thing that he is paid to do -- throw the damn football !! He is looking in Tyreek Hill's direction & there is NO WAY possible that Smith shouldn't see that the Pittsburgh Safety isn't even backpedaling & Hill is racing by him. All Smith has to do is throw it out there & if Hill makes the catch, it is SIX points. Instead, Smith bails when he doesn't have to. All he has to do is step up and throw. The protection was good.

They needed something like 17 yards to pick up a 1st down on that play, so quite naturally, with Hill running a deep route, Smith should have been looking to him first.

THIS is the real reason the Chiefs lost that playoff game to Pissburgh's Little Tin Cods, because of missed opportunities, such as this.

So for anyone mystified about why the Chiefs traded up to take Mahomes, simply view the .gif image below and there is your answer.

Brd, that makes a really good case. Moments like those are painful to watch.

Personally I don't get why folks are up in the air about drafting Mahomes or a QB in general. We knew it was coming, Alex was not getting any younger, his contract is winding down and to me he didn't look the same after he got hit last year. All those hits add up and will lead to moments like those, where he didn't catch the defender planting his feet against Tyreek Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Brd, that makes a really good case. Moments like those are painful to watch.

Personally I don't get why folks are up in the air about drafting Mahomes or a QB in general. We knew it was coming, Alex was not getting any younger, his contract is winding down and to me he didn't look the same after he got hit last year. All those hits add up and will lead to moments like those, where he didn't catch the defender planting his feet against Tyreek Hill.
    It does make a great case & I'm not bashing Alex. I'm just illustrating what is keeping him from being a GREAT QB. How many more moments were there throughout the season that were like this? I read somewhere that Maclin had also sifted free on another play & Smith didn't get him the ball.

I believe you are right, Dougster, that the hit in the Indy game took a toll on him. How many more hits to the head can he take? Speculation, of course, but another factor in Dorsey/Reid going after Mahomes is that they'd prefer to see Alex walk away from the game, not get carried away on a damn stretcher (and that could have been the case with Charles, as well).

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Hey CTC, C4L, and anyone else for that matter -- it may have surprised us that the Chiefs did trade up like they did to #10 to take Mahomes. However, I came across this .gif image and saw this play today, for the 1st time.

THIS is totally mind-blowing!!

I'm sorry, but there is only one person to blame for this play being a failure -- Alex Smith. He only needs to do the one thing that he is paid to do -- throw the damn football !! He is looking in Tyreek Hill's direction & there is NO WAY possible that Smith shouldn't see that the Pittsburgh Safety isn't even backpedaling & Hill is racing by him. All Smith has to do is throw it out there & if Hill makes the catch, it is SIX points. Instead, Smith bails when he doesn't have to. All he has to do is step up and throw. The protection was good.

They needed something like 17 yards to pick up a 1st down on that play, so quite naturally, with Hill running a deep route, Smith should have been looking to him first.

THIS is the real reason the Chiefs lost that playoff game to Pissburgh's Little Tin Cods, because of missed opportunities, such as this.

So for anyone mystified about why the Chiefs traded up to take Mahomes, simply view the .gif image below and there is your answer.

That was somewhere between extremely painful and heartbreaking to watch. It may haunt me in my sleep for many years. NOBODY within 5 yards (cant see what there was more than 5 yards in front of Hill). If there was nobody in front of him that was a mortal lock for 6 'cause there was nobody within 10 yards behind him. NOBODY was going to catch him from behind.

I LIKE Alex! I really do! How could I not like the QB we have had when we went from 2-14 to 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4? He is a VERY GOOD QB. If you can believe what you read, Reid had had his eye on Alex since Alex was in college. Alex was the PERFECT QB for Reid to bring in for a team that was just plain broken. Alex's 4 best years have ALL been with the Chiefs. Reid and his offensive scheme was the PERFECT combination of coach and offensive scheme for Alex. And the perfect combination to IMMEDIATELY save our Chiefs from from a VERY BAD situation (suicides...airplanes over the stadium etc).

Let's face it. If Alex was 26 we wouldn't have traded up for Mahomes. But Alex is 33. There shouldn't be much "ceiling" left for him. In other words, "what we've seen is most likely what we get." Has Alex got 4 or 5 more years in him? HELL YES! He's not "old". Remember, we got Montana when he was 37. But unless the arrival of Mahomes lights a roaring fire under Alex's butt his chances of getting us to a Super Bowl aren't getting any better...RIGHT?

As usual, I talk too much but Reid had to accept that if we just carried on with Alex we were going to go on like we have the last 4 years. "Very good, but probably not good enough". Not so long ago I (and probably most people reading this) longed for the Marty years. But Reid SPOILED US! We believe again and now we want MORE than just playoff appearances. Now we want playoff wins, AFC West Championships, an appearance at the AFC Championship and a damned good sniff at a Super Bowl appearance. Reid has simply "raised the bar" on what we expect. I thank him.

So WE HAD NO CHOICE but to get a QB that had the "upside potential" to become GREAT! Can Mahomes do it? I dunno, but I'm glad Reid and Dorsey decided to take that risk. Hopefully the pressure from Mahomes will prod Alex into having 2 years that blow all his previous years away! It would be REALLY GREAT for Alex to hand Mahomes a team that had just won the Super Bowl and retire as a Super Bowl winner or become a #2 that we knew could win us another Super Bowl if Mahomes went down.

Mahomes wasn't what I wanted in the draft but "upon further review" I think it was the right decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast