Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Random ramblings on Alex Smith and Pat Mahomes...

Default Random ramblings on Alex Smith and Pat Mahomes...

Since those of us that post here regularly are pretty serious Chiefs fans (we don't seem to attract many bandwagon types) and since I've been pondering the whole Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes situation for close to a month now I thought I'd post the conclusions I have come to and see what my Brother Chiefs fans are thinking about the situation.

My thoughts.....shaded somewhat by the fact that I really just plain like Alex....

#1) It sounds horrible, but Mahomes was brought in to kick Alex out the door.

#2) Alex knows that #1 is probably true. It's happening to Alex all over again. If he can step up in a HUGE way this year and get us to the AFC Championship game or better then we probably keep him for 2018 or maybe beyond. If not he's probably gone after this season. So certainly that is a POWERFUL INCENTIVE for Alex to have a great season since even if Alex gets cut loose after this season having a GREAT year will help him get better offers in 2018. And if we cut him loose he's just not likely to retire at age 34.

#3) #1 is true because Alex hasn't gotten us where we want to go and because since we seem to be in eternal cap-hell Alex's $20 million + cap hit in 2018 is a very temping target to free up a LOT of cap space.

#4) I really hate saying this but I think this is the last year we'll see Alex in a Chiefs uniform. I just hope to hell we don't see him in 2018 in another AFC West uniform. But my confidence in that is not high. The Broncos are a mess at the QB position and I could EASILY see horseface signing Alex. The idea makes me want to PUKE.

If you think what I have written above is anything but sheer and utter madness then read on.....

#5) Let's say Mahomes becomes the starter in 2018 and Alex is gone. IMO Mahomes has the potential to be a TRULY GREAT QB. But from what I have seen the kid is raw. VERY RAW. If he takes over as the starter in 2018 without ever having taken a regular season snap I foresee 2018 being a tough year for the Chiefs. I just worry that he won't be ready that quickly and I have seen A LOT of college talent QBs get ruined by being put into the starter position too quickly.

#6) I'm just plain WORRIED about how this is all going to play out.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK????

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Alex could be one more concussion away from retiring. He has a history of them. In fact he quit running the ball which made our offense less effective because of one last year.

I like Alex he has bee a pro- but the cards were on the table allowing the Chiefs to get their guy. They had take it or keep waiting to catch lightning in a bottle by hoping, a Hogan, Aaron Murray, or Tyler Bray shocks he world by becoming a Tom Brady.

It gave the Chiefs options. It will make Alex compete harder and push him over that thresh hold that has been holding him back. Pat may also be a bust.

It is what it is, and we move on hoping Mahomes an Alex both compete hard enough to get us to the super bowl.
    You're right. And I'm excited about Mahomes too. Just going to be a little sad to see Alex get kicked to the curb again. He's the Rodney Dangerfield of the modern NFL. But like I said earlier, I guess I shouldn't feel too bad for a guy that will wind up actually making (as opposed to contract numbers) over $100 million in what will probably be a 15 year career. That's not a bad parting gift if you are going to get kicked around.

We've talked about here and elsewhere about the hits to the head that Alex has taken. Apparently we aren't the only ones with concerns regarding that. Look at this pic of Alex in the 1st day of OTA's. Notice anything different? That's right -- the helmut is different and has thicker padding. Tells you all you need to know.

alex.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    We've talked about here and elsewhere about the hits to the head that Alex has taken. Apparently we aren't the only ones with concerns regarding that. Look at this pic of Alex in the 1st day of OTA's. Notice anything different? That's right -- the helmut is different and has thicker padding. Tells you all you need to know.
    WOW! Certainly does suggest that there are some concerns about how many times he's gotten his noggin knocked around.

It didn't help when he got here how crap the line was and how many times they let him get blown up

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    It didn't help when he got here how crap the line was and how many times they let him get blown up
    Not to mention, the number of times he got his bell rung in SF. I saw it up close and personal when the Niners played in KC in Sept. of 2010. I still have no idea how Alex was able to finish that game, as many times as he got hit.

One thing is for certain. When Mahomes does take over, the Chiefs must make it a point to upkeep their O-Line, so that Mahomes doesn't have to take the number of shots that Alex had to take when he was a 49er. I don't care how many high-round draft picks they have to spend on O-Line, they can not let it degenerate like we saw in 2007, after Roaf and Shields retired.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 05-24-2017 at 02:03 PM.

I don't think anyone should feel sorry for Alex Smith. And if he's getting kicked to the curb, it's because he couldn't quite accomplish what was required of him. He's a good QB, never great. He's Jan Brady, not Tom Brady. No feel sorry for any $100 million man. He has displayed great character, and I think we all respect him for that. But we need a Super Bowl. 47 years and counting. Before I die. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    ABSOLUTE FACT! In 2016 Alex had 28 sacks in 15 games started. 2015 45 sacks for 16 games started. 2014 45 sacks in 15 games started. 2013 39 sacks in 15 games started. 2016 was his fewest sacks as a Chief. Dunno if the lower sack numbers for 2016 are because the O-line is better or because Alex was better at throwing the ball away to avoid the sack but for certain-sure Alex has never had a top-5 O-line.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 05-24-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Not to mention, the number of times he got his bell rung in SF. I saw it up close and personal when the Niners played in KC in Sept. of 2010. I still have no idea how Alex was able to finish that game, as many times as he got hit.

One thing is for certain. When Mahomes does take over, the Chiefs must make it a point to upkeep their O-Line, so that Mahomes doesn't have to take the number of shots that Alex had to take when he was a 49er. I don't care how many high-round draft picks they have to spend on O-Line, they can not let it degenerate like we saw in 2007, after Roaf and Shields retired.
    For CERTAIN! Best way to DESTROY a new QB is to have him run over by a tank every week. Just look at what happened to Luck last year. If you don't have an O-line you DON'T HAVE A QB!

Matt is correct when he speaks of "QB upgrade". Alex is OK to a point, but he is not Trent Green, however, when it comes to throwing the football downfield. Alex may serve up fewer INT's than Green did, but Green got more yards and scored more often & Green was never afraid to wing it downfield.

If Mahomes becomes another Trent Green for the Chiefs, then everybody will be happy and the move to get Mahomes will have been worth the cost.
    I miss trent green. I hate how his career ended. He played right up there with peyton manning. If it wasnt for holmes fumble i believe we would have went to the superbowl. And i think at the time everyone took trent green for granted. Also he had the best oline protecting him. If we had that same olime i think alex smith could almost mirror trents stats. He also had some good weapons as well. Gonzalez, kenninson, hall, holmes, morton along with that oline.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    For CERTAIN! Best way to DESTROY a new QB is to have him run over by a tank every week. Just look at what happened to Luck last year. If you don't have an O-line you DON'T HAVE A QB!
    Luck is just one of many examples. Dee Ford sacked Luck 3 times in that ball game last year, which was unprecedented. Luck put up good numbers, but was sacked 41 times and many were drive killers.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    I miss trent green. I hate how his career ended. He played right up there with peyton manning. If it wasnt for holmes fumble i believe we would have went to the superbowl. And i think at the time everyone took trent green for granted. Also he had the best oline protecting him. If we had that same olime i think alex smith could almost mirror trents stats. He also had some good weapons as well. Gonzalez, kenninson, hall, holmes, morton along with that oline.
    I also thought it SUCKED, the way Green's career ended. But, not only that, the way the Chiefs team completely collapsed in 2007, especially their O-Line, starting a six year abyss. And people wonder why some of us were clamoring for O-Lineman to be drafted early and often. Brodie Croyle never had a chance when he got to play. Pioli's first draft pick should have been Tackle Eugene Monroe with Albert kicking inside to his natural LG position.

As for the Chiefs current O-Line, there is room for improvement & development, certainly. There average age is about 25-26. They could still use a stud LG to team with Fisher on the left side & perhaps Swartz and LDT will be better on the right side this year after having played a full year together last season. Morse is a good Center. We'll have to see how they perform this year & hope they improve and that the Chiefs have a solid O-Line when Mahomes takes over.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast