Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Random ramblings on Alex Smith and Pat Mahomes...

Default Random ramblings on Alex Smith and Pat Mahomes...

Since those of us that post here regularly are pretty serious Chiefs fans (we don't seem to attract many bandwagon types) and since I've been pondering the whole Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes situation for close to a month now I thought I'd post the conclusions I have come to and see what my Brother Chiefs fans are thinking about the situation.

My thoughts.....shaded somewhat by the fact that I really just plain like Alex....

#1) It sounds horrible, but Mahomes was brought in to kick Alex out the door.

#2) Alex knows that #1 is probably true. It's happening to Alex all over again. If he can step up in a HUGE way this year and get us to the AFC Championship game or better then we probably keep him for 2018 or maybe beyond. If not he's probably gone after this season. So certainly that is a POWERFUL INCENTIVE for Alex to have a great season since even if Alex gets cut loose after this season having a GREAT year will help him get better offers in 2018. And if we cut him loose he's just not likely to retire at age 34.

#3) #1 is true because Alex hasn't gotten us where we want to go and because since we seem to be in eternal cap-hell Alex's $20 million + cap hit in 2018 is a very temping target to free up a LOT of cap space.

#4) I really hate saying this but I think this is the last year we'll see Alex in a Chiefs uniform. I just hope to hell we don't see him in 2018 in another AFC West uniform. But my confidence in that is not high. The Broncos are a mess at the QB position and I could EASILY see horseface signing Alex. The idea makes me want to PUKE.

If you think what I have written above is anything but sheer and utter madness then read on.....

#5) Let's say Mahomes becomes the starter in 2018 and Alex is gone. IMO Mahomes has the potential to be a TRULY GREAT QB. But from what I have seen the kid is raw. VERY RAW. If he takes over as the starter in 2018 without ever having taken a regular season snap I foresee 2018 being a tough year for the Chiefs. I just worry that he won't be ready that quickly and I have seen A LOT of college talent QBs get ruined by being put into the starter position too quickly.

#6) I'm just plain WORRIED about how this is all going to play out.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK????

We will be fine. How's that?? The first year Mahomes starts we will win the Division and go 11-5

The whole thing is a tinder box right now. Have to hope Mahomes is ready by 2018, because I believe what you are saying is stark reality. 2017 could very well be the last we see of Alex Smith.

You are very correct when you say that Mahomes was brought in to kick Alex out the door. That's how it works in the NFL the NFL is known to stand for Not For Long.

And really IT HAD TO BE DONE. Alex isn't getting younger. He is FAR closer to the end of his career then he is the start of it. And it's a move that the Chiefs HAD to do. You just can't leave yourself unprepared for that spot. That is a mistake that this team has made many times before.

Time will tell on Mahomes. Which is no different then any other QB that a team drafts regardless of where in the draft they got him. It will be fun to see how Mahomes does great or we will be upset that we gave up so much to go up in a draft and get him.

But as I said before the draft IT HAD TO BE DONE. It was time this team has built some talent around the QB position. Now you have to try to get that QB upgrade
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Matt is correct when he speaks of "QB upgrade". Alex is OK to a point, but he is not Trent Green, however, when it comes to throwing the football downfield. Alex may serve up fewer INT's than Green did, but Green got more yards and scored more often & Green was never afraid to wing it downfield.

If Mahomes becomes another Trent Green for the Chiefs, then everybody will be happy and the move to get Mahomes will have been worth the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    The whole thing is a tinder box right now. Have to hope Mahomes is ready by 2018, because I believe what you are saying is stark reality. 2017 could very well be the last we see of Alex Smith.
    Yep. In 2018 I expect he'll be playing for his 3rd team. Tough business to be in. But then, by the end of this year he'll have probably made over $100 million from the 9ers and Chiefs so I guess I shouldn't feel bad for him.

I can't help but wonder if a trade will come about before the 2018 draft. If Dorsey can get a 3rd rounder for Smith, then take it.

Solid move by Dorsey Alex smith in his mid 30's becomes even more limited as far as his arm strength and pushing the ball down the field. And let's face it 5 years of check downs makes the offense become stale. Enter Mahomes you give the offense a much needed shot in the arm. I am excited I like Alex but I was watching last year's Carolina game the other day and I was blown away at how many open receivers Alex missed. If anything this move keeps Alex on his toes and pushes him to get better

Alex could be one more concussion away from retiring. He has a history of them. In fact he quit running the ball which made our offense less effective because of one last year.

I like Alex he has bee a pro- but the cards were on the table allowing the Chiefs to get their guy. They had take it or keep waiting to catch lightning in a bottle by hoping, a Hogan, Aaron Murray, or Tyler Bray shocks he world by becoming a Tom Brady.

It gave the Chiefs options. It will make Alex compete harder and push him over that thresh hold that has been holding him back. Pat may also be a bust.

It is what it is, and we move on hoping Mahomes an Alex both compete hard enough to get us to the super bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I can't help but wonder if a trade will come about before the 2018 draft. If Dorsey can get a 3rd rounder for Smith, then take it.
    I'm still holding out faint hope that assuming Mahomes will start in 2018 Alex will rework his contract to stay on as the backup for 2018, 2019 and 2020. Yeah...OK so I am crazy. But Reid/Dorsey have shown a fondness for experienced backups and haven't minded paying them pretty well. And being honest, can you think of a better backup to Mahomes than Alex (unless Bray suddenly comes out of the woodwork)? I know it ain't a gonna happen but I'm sticking with it until Alex is actually traded or released...simply because I'll be sorry to see him go. He's never been GREAT but he was an important part of making our Chiefs respectable again and I will always be grateful for that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast