Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs fire John Dorsey

Default Chiefs fire John Dorsey

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...m-john-dorsey/

Chiefs fire G.M. John Dorsey

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 22, 2017, 4:15 PM EDT
    ADVANCE FOR WEEKEND EDITIONS, MARCH 9-10 – FILE – In this Jan. 14, 2013, file photo, Kansas City Chiefs general manager John Dorsey, left, poses with head coach Andy Reid during an NFL football news conference announcing Dorsey’s hiring in Kansas City, Mo. The new group in charge of the Chiefs is going right to work, making bold moves to turn around a franchise that went 2-14 last season. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel, File)"
    AP
    In a surprise announcement at what is ordinarily the slowest time of the year in the NFL, the Chiefs have fired General Manager John Dorsey.
    The Chiefs issued a statement saying Dorsey is out.
    “I notified John that we would not be extending his contract beyond the 2017 season, and after consideration, we felt it was in his best interests and the best interests of the team to part ways now,” owner Clark Hunt said in a statement.
    That announcement came about half an hour after the Chiefs announced that head coach Andy Reid has signed a contract extension. That will obviously lead to speculation that perhaps Dorsey and Reid weren’t on the same page, and that Reid won a power struggle within the organization. Dorsey recently made the surprising decision to cut an old favorite of Reid’s, Jeremy Maclin.
    Dorsey is the third G.M. to be fired this offseason.

Last edited by Eydugstr; 06-22-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    ....... The Maclin release made me worried about this season. This latest certainly doesn't make me feel any better.
    I'm going to put up a quote from this thread over here, because there is truth to what this guy is saying

http://arrowheadone.com/nfl-chiefs-k...d-fire-dorsey/

.......you can't really believe he is the best one (Eric Berry at Safety). Very good, but not the best. As for the salary which was said to be the highest paid safety. I would much rather have the cap space. Maclin was a casualty of the salary paid to Berry and it is likely that we may have to let more players go next year and we still have several positions that are going to have to be negotiated with next year. so even tho it has occurred to Clark that he will never see another super bowl when the cap and dead money is driving the team into a position where it is hard to make improvement to the team. I believe that it is good business sense to not overpay any player at any position. We should concentrate on having a balanced team rather than a team with a few overpaid stars and pick ups from other teams who are unable to make it on other better teams.
    There is truth to what is shown in BOLD in the quote above, and if I had my choice, I would have rather kept kept Maclin and let Berry walk. It won't surprise me at all if Maclin STARS in his new surroundings in Baltimore, while Berry flounders in KC this season (he's already been said to be having a heel problem).

Granted, Berry had a great season last year, but in my judgement, it was time to move on. The value just isn't there for the amount of money they paid Berry & it already seems to be having a negative effect -- HUGELY!! Look at the Chiefs 1st game against NE to open the season. If Brady and Gronkowski are able to get Berry isolated in one-on-one situations, they will take Berry to the cleaners every single time, just like they did in the 2015 playoff game.

Stupid flat out stupid

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I'm going to put up a quote from this thread over here, because there is truth to what this guy is saying

http://arrowheadone.com/nfl-chiefs-k...d-fire-dorsey/

There is truth to what is shown in BOLD in the quote above, and if I had my choice, I would have rather kept kept Maclin and let Berry walk. It won't surprise me at all if Maclin STARS in his new surroundings in Baltimore, while Berry flounders in KC this season (he's already been said to be having a heel problem).

Granted, Berry had a great season last year, but in my judgement, it was time to move on. The value just isn't there for the amount of money they paid Berry & it already seems to be having a negative effect -- HUGELY!! Look at the Chiefs 1st game against NE to open the season. If Brady and Gronkowski are able to get Berry isolated in one-on-one situations, they will take Berry to the cleaners every single time, just like they did in the 2015 playoff game.
    If that's the case, then it's not just Maclin...It would be Poe as well (much more devastating to the team). Guess we'll know when teams march through our D-line at will, and we find ourselves relying on Berry to make a bigger number of tackles.

An interesting post Demps. The cap business is what I was trying to get at earlier. It was in fact Dorsey's weakness. But when you hire someone who has never been a GM before and has therefore never managed cap space before there is certain to be a "learning curve". Dorsey may well have been a victim of not learning cap-management quickly enough.

As to EB...You have to love the guy's story. Cancer and back playing NFL football at a very high level in less than a year. AMAZING. But Berry is different than most Safeties. His play day to day is very good. But not the best in the NFL by any stretch. But he is an insane ball-hawk. INTs and pass break-ups are what makes him amongst the "elite" at safety instead of just good. Of course as Justin Houston and many others in years gone by have shown us many players have a bad habit of getting that "mega-deal" and then not playing up to the standards they did when they were trying to get that big deal. I surely hope that won't happen with EB.

Was Maclin a "cap-casualty" due to the EB deal? I don't know. But no doubt it is plausible. But you also mentioned in a post shortly after Maclin was released a quote from another site suggesting that Maclin had a bum ankle and couldn't cut like he used to. Which is true? I don't know. But I suspect we'll find out this year.

All in all, I'm inclined to believe that Dorsey was fired because he really didn't know how to manage the cap. But I can't get too mad at him for that because he had never been a GM before and had never managed cap space before. When you hire someone to do a job they've never done before you can't expect them to become an expert overnight. Dorsey was REALLY GOOD at some parts of his job...and not so good at others.

Above all, I hope that this does not lead to Andy Reid being some sort of GM and HC. As I recall, that was pretty much his job description when we first hired him but he quickly convinced Hunt to bring in Dorsey and happily relinquished the GM job to Dorsey. Andy Reid is a great HC. But HC and GM is just too much for him. I know what it's like to get promoted beyond my abilities.

Im worried about drafting. Dorsey seemed to good at finding gems late in draft and you need that if u want to be good. And hell no as reid as gm.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    An interesting post Demps. The cap business is what I was trying to get at earlier. It was in fact Dorsey's weakness. But when you hire someone who has never been a GM before and has therefore never managed cap space before there is certain to be a "learning curve". Dorsey may well have been a victim of not learning cap-management quickly enough.

As to EB...You have to love the guy's story. Cancer and back playing NFL football at a very high level in less than a year. AMAZING. But Berry is different than most Safeties. His play day to day is very good. But not the best in the NFL by any stretch. But he is an insane ball-hawk. INTs and pass break-ups are what makes him amongst the "elite" at safety instead of just good. Of course as Justin Houston and many others in years gone by have shown us many players have a bad habit of getting that "mega-deal" and then not playing up to the standards they did when they were trying to get that big deal. I surely hope that won't happen with EB.

Was Maclin a "cap-casualty" due to the EB deal? I don't know. But no doubt it is plausible. But you also mentioned in a post shortly after Maclin was released a quote from another site suggesting that Maclin had a bum ankle and couldn't cut like he used to. Which is true? I don't know. But I suspect we'll find out this year.

All in all, I'm inclined to believe that Dorsey was fired because he really didn't know how to manage the cap. But I can't get too mad at him for that because he had never been a GM before and had never managed cap space before. When you hire someone to do a job they've never done before you can't expect them to become an expert overnight. Dorsey was REALLY GOOD at some parts of his job...and not so good at others.

Above all, I hope that this does not lead to Andy Reid being some sort of GM and HC. As I recall, that was pretty much his job description when we first hired him but he quickly convinced Hunt to bring in Dorsey and happily relinquished the GM job to Dorsey. Andy Reid is a great HC. But HC and GM is just too much for him. I know what it's like to get promoted beyond my abilities.
    This is about the only thing I can think of. Can't think of anything else that it could have been
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I've seen that Dorsey butted heads with Hunt over the last couple of months and it has a lot to do with Berry's contract, apparently Hunt had to step in and make it happen

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    I've seen that Dorsey butted heads with Hunt over the last couple of months and it has a lot to do with Berry's contract, apparently Hunt had to step in and make it happen
    That the whole paradox. Berry's resigning didn't really need to happen, as he stinks in pass coverage and is very easily replaceable. They already have Sorensen and 2nd-year man Eric Murray (who was said to be looking good in the OTA's filling in for Berry). If Dorsey wasn't on board with resigning Berry to that ridiculously over-priced contract, then I don't blame him one bit & Dorsey may have cut Maclin just to shove it up Clark Hunt's arse. Kind of like saying "Okay, buddy boy, you want to overpay your hero-worship icon, it's going to cost you the team's most experienced WR".

If the question had been posed right after the draft "would you rather have John Dorsey stay in KC, or would you rather have Eric Berry stay in KC, because you can't have both". Quite obvious that the majority -- myself included -- would have said Dorsey.

I think there is a ton of things that play into this. But after the season when teams were looking at Chris Ballard and the Chiefs refused some interviews. There was all this talk of Dorsey going back to Green Bay. I think the writing was on the wall then and has snowballed since.

Lets face it, Dorsey has done a great job, but made a lot of mistakes on the salary cap side that is embarrassing the Chiefs organization when we have to let players go, just to sign draft picks are burning cap with aged or hurt players.

Dorsey was probably asking for a contract extension and more pay, using Green Bay as leverage. Clark is looking at these mistakes and saying, I don't think so. Go ahead an leave for Green Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    That the whole paradox. Berry's resigning didn't really need to happen, as he stinks in pass coverage and is very easily replaceable. They already have Sorensen and 2nd-year man Eric Murray (who was said to be looking good in the OTA's filling in for Berry). If Dorsey wasn't on board with resigning Berry to that ridiculously over-priced contract, then I don't blame him one bit & Dorsey may have cut Maclin just to shove it up Clark Hunt's arse. Kind of like saying "Okay, buddy boy, you want to overpay your hero-worship icon, it's going to cost you the team's most experienced WR".

If the question had been posed right after the draft "would you rather have John Dorsey stay in KC, or would you rather have Eric Berry stay in KC, because you can't have both". Quite obvious that the majority -- myself included -- would have said Dorsey.
    I don't think I can agree here Demps.

My NBA team lives by the modo go with Front office guys over talent it has been terrible. It's a lot easier to find a replacement in the FO then it is to find a replacement for a key player.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast