Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs fire John Dorsey

Default Chiefs fire John Dorsey

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...m-john-dorsey/

Chiefs fire G.M. John Dorsey

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 22, 2017, 4:15 PM EDT
    ADVANCE FOR WEEKEND EDITIONS, MARCH 9-10 – FILE – In this Jan. 14, 2013, file photo, Kansas City Chiefs general manager John Dorsey, left, poses with head coach Andy Reid during an NFL football news conference announcing Dorsey’s hiring in Kansas City, Mo. The new group in charge of the Chiefs is going right to work, making bold moves to turn around a franchise that went 2-14 last season. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel, File)"
    AP
    In a surprise announcement at what is ordinarily the slowest time of the year in the NFL, the Chiefs have fired General Manager John Dorsey.
    The Chiefs issued a statement saying Dorsey is out.
    “I notified John that we would not be extending his contract beyond the 2017 season, and after consideration, we felt it was in his best interests and the best interests of the team to part ways now,” owner Clark Hunt said in a statement.
    That announcement came about half an hour after the Chiefs announced that head coach Andy Reid has signed a contract extension. That will obviously lead to speculation that perhaps Dorsey and Reid weren’t on the same page, and that Reid won a power struggle within the organization. Dorsey recently made the surprising decision to cut an old favorite of Reid’s, Jeremy Maclin.
    Dorsey is the third G.M. to be fired this offseason.

Last edited by Eydugstr; 06-22-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    That's the 900 pound gorilla in the room. But I have an absolute LUNATIC idea (that I stole from another site) that I would like to propose to the group. Comments, flames, etc are WELCOME.

So here is the CRAZY idea. Let's be honest. We are all in shock. Us fans are shaken. I don't know how the players feel but I have to imagine they are a little shook up too. JC, Poe and Maclin gone. Alex Smith on his way out. DJ and Tamba also hanging by a thread. There isn't much in the way of potential GMs out there on the open market. Too late in the year. We let Ballard go to the damned Colts so the obvious replacement for Dorsey is already gone. The ship is in a hurricane, the Captain just went overboard and I'm wondering if the owner of the ship isn't drunk and passed out in his cabin. We NEED an immediate GM replacement to give the fans and the players a sense that everything is actually under control. We need to get back a sense of STABILITY. Rushing a choice for a new GM would be a MISTAKE. We need some TIME to find Dorsey's replacement but we need someone to create a sense of STABILITY and CONFIDENCE while we conduct an ORDERLY search for a new GM.

Ask Dick Vermeil to take command as "Interim GM". 6-8 months.

He wouldn't do it as a long term "job". He's enjoying being a "gentleman winery owner". But he is a friend of Reid so no conflict there and he is well respected. He's got a Super Bowl ring and surely knows football. He would soothe all the frayed nerves and give fans and players a sense of confidence while he and Hunt conducted an un-rushed search for a new GM. In short he'd be a respected figurehead that bought us some time to conduct a sensible search for a new GM.

What do y'all think? Has the shock of losing Dorsey caused me to completely lose my mind?
    No to vermeil as GM. He was a good coach cuz he was a good motivator but that dont mean hes a good talent valuater. I dont his skills translate to a GM.

What makes me nervous is can we find a great talent evaluator to be our next GM. Thats proven?

I'm hoping its Brett Veach

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    No to vermeil as GM. He was a good coach cuz he was a good motivator but that dont mean hes a good talent valuater. I dont his skills translate to a GM.

What makes me nervous is can we find a great talent evaluator to be our next GM. Thats proven?
    More than fair enough, but my thought was not DV as the GM. Just the "interim" or "caretaker GM" for a few months to give us some stability while we found a good replacement for Dorsey. Just to try to get back some stability. The situation right now is a MESS! Having an "interim GM" with the respect of DV would IMO help get things back on an even keel.

More than fair enough, but my thought was not DV as the GM. Just the "interim" or "caretaker GM" for a few months to give us some stability while we found a good replacement for Dorsey. Just to try to get back some stability. The situation right now is a MESS! Having an "interim GM" with the respect of DV would IMO help get things back on an even keel.
    Again vermeil as intern wouldnt be any good ciz either way we need a talent evaluator with training camp and preseason coming along we camt afford to loose out on that part of turning over the bottom of our roster to see whats out there. Im thinking we will promote from within to keep continuity and less turnover in offices and scouting departments. I just dont know enoigh about anyone if there great at evaluating and finding talent thats hard to find. Im not talking like obvious players with talent but finding gems that go under the radar. Like our de rookie who was a large unkown but the more we find out the more we see how mucj talent he has amd the potential. But also like say sorenson and peiple late rounds that can turn into a big contributor.

Lets go after mike mayock from nfl.com i think he would be great.

Been hearing Management style and Communication were reasons Dorsey was fired

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    I'm hoping its Brett Veach
    C4L....If you have a moment could you expand on the reasons Veach get's named as GM? I don't know a huge amount about him and you seem to have some damned good "sources" so I'd appreciate it you'd take the time to go into a bit more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Again vermeil as intern wouldnt be any good ciz either way we need a talent evaluator with training camp and preseason coming along we camt afford to loose out on that part of turning over the bottom of our roster to see whats out there. Im thinking we will promote from within to keep continuity and less turnover in offices and scouting departments. I just dont know enoigh about anyone if there great at evaluating and finding talent thats hard to find. Im not talking like obvious players with talent but finding gems that go under the radar. Like our de rookie who was a large unkown but the more we find out the more we see how mucj talent he has amd the potential. But also like say sorenson and peiple late rounds that can turn into a big contributor.
    I can't argue with that. The talents you mentioned that Dorsey had are HUGE! Those QUALITY late-round picks and UDFAs are extraordinarily important. They make "next man up" work, they can help with the cap and we need only look at Tyreek Hill and Spencer Ware to see how important being able to properly evaluate guys that some teams don't want to touch can be. I cede your point.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 06-26-2017 at 02:18 PM.

C4L....If you have a moment could you expand on the reasons Veach get's named as GM? I don't know a huge amount about him and you seem to have some damned good "sources" so I'd appreciate it you'd take the time to go into a bit more detail.

Let’s get to know Brett Veach, the Chiefs in-house GM candidate

by stagdsp@stagdsp Jun 26, 2017, 9:40am CDT

With John Dorsey’s surprise firing, we’re scrambling to figure out how the Chiefs replace him. Listen to Terez Paylor’s Facebook chat from earlier this week. He talked a lot about how this is typically vacation time for the NFL, and the Chiefs may have a hard time getting outside candidates in to interview.

The unusual timing of Dorsey’s dismissal also means that the new GM really has to hit the ground running. Training camp is coming soon, as are roster cuts, both for the Chiefs and the other 31 teams. Whoever takes over this role needs to have deep familiarity with the Chiefs roster, and with what Andy Reid values in a player. He has to understand Reid’s scheme, and the makeup of the Chiefs locker room. He needs to be able to make quick decisions when players become available, and know which players on the current roster are vital to retain.
    The team has valued consistency (as the guys from Amateur Hour pointed out) since the big purge following the catastrophic 2012 season. It’s worked well for the Chiefs, as they’ve returned to the upper tiers of NFL teams, competing for division titles and even winning a playoff game again.
    These and other signs point to the team looking at in-house candidates to take over the General Manager job. Some assumed that Andy Reid would want to take on more responsibility for personnel, but that’s been largely refuted.

The biggest name remaining in the Chiefs personnel department is Brett Veach. Veach was recently a candidate for the Buffalo GM job, even earning the endorsement of star RB Shady McCoy.

Brett is currently the Chiefs co-director of player personnel, and he has a stellar reputation as a scout’s scout. Sound familiar? It should, Veach has followed a career path that is similar in many ways to John Dorsey.
    Quotes on Veach

Scouts are largely anonymous to NFL fans, so we have to go by what other people say about them. Below are some quotes and information that help paint a picture of Brett Veach.

A good piece on Veach from CSNPhilly.

• “Veach first broke into the NFL as an intern with the Eagles in 2004 and was later hired as Reid’s assistant in 2007. He ascended quickly in the front office and was considered one of the team’s keenest scouts.”
    • “Basically, an opportunity presented itself in Kansas City to be a part of Coach Reid’s staff again and [general manager] John Dorsey staff, and it was an opportunity I was excited about,” Veach, a native of Mount Carmel, Pa., and former University of Delaware standout, told CSNPhilly.com.”
    • “Veach said he left on great terms with the Eagles, calling his time there “six unbelievable years” of learning under general manager Howie Roseman, former player personnel chief Ryan Grigson (now the Colts’ general manager) and director of college scouting Anthony Patch.”
    • “Those guys taught me everything I know to this point,” Veach said. “You’re talking about three really sharp minds that I learned from every day.”
    • “Veach was assigned to study wide receivers in 2008 leading up to the draft. That year, the Eagles picked DeSean Jackson in the second round.”

From Twitter, Veach has been getting plenty of chatter as a GM candidate.

• “Next in line from Kansas City? Keep an eye on Brett Veach. Has been climbing the ladder there. Great reputation as a scout's scout”- Matt Miller
    • “Name to watch in Buffalo is Brett Veach. Worked with Sean in Philly & is highly respected by Andy Reid & all the Philly people. In KC now”- Joe Banner
    • “If it doesn't happen this year, it'll happen very soon. Veach is a future GM.”- Matt Miller

Read this piece on Veach from our own BJ Kissel, now reporting for the mothership. We see a lot of close ties to Andy Reid and some insight into his potential philosophy as a GM.

• "My first role with the Eagles was coach Reid's assistant,” Veach explained of the position he held from 2007 to 2009. “Really, if you follow the track of that position, most of the time people in that position go on to a coaching career. I had luck on my side in that [Reid] was doing a lot of personnel at the time, so it was natural for him to give me assignments that were more personnel-based.”
    • “Interestingly enough, Veach spent his collegiate career catching passes from Chiefs quarterbacks coach Matt Nagy, who played for the Blue Hens (1997-2000) before joining Reid and Veach in Philadelphia in 2008 as a coaching intern.”
    • “You look at that track record and knowing that they really do it the blue-collar way, where you just roll the sleeves up, go to work, watch tape, not going to dabble a lot in free agency; it's really going to be all about the draft and creating your own culture. That was something that you’re really excited about in regards to that opportunity."

More ...
    This is an exciting example of his eye for talent - he pounded the table for Fletcher Cox while with the Eagles.

Definitely give this podcast a listen, it features interviews with Veach (starting around 24-minute mark) along with Chris Ballard and Mike Borgonzi (another potential in-house candidate)

• Veach indicates he has a dual role in scouting pro players (for cut downs) and traveling to scout college players. (this is great preparation for a GM role)
    • Veach discussed how the back end of the roster is critical, and the Josh Mauga and Husain Abdullah signings were the types of free agents that pay dividends.

The likely favorite?

If Brett Veach isn’t the clear favorite for the job, at a minimum, he’d be the least disruptive candidate the Chiefs could hire. Veach is clearly an “Andy Reid guy” and wants to build through the draft. Based on the interview in the podcast, he’s a very humble, team oriented guy that loves scouting, and loves the staff the Chiefs have assembled. He’s got a great background as a player, coach, and scout. He’s got a stellar reputation and has steadily risen through the ranks over his career. His scouting resume includes Pro Bowl players Fletcher Cox and DeShaun Jackson. He knows the Chiefs roster, and has experience scouting both pro and college players. He knows what Reid is looking for in players, and how to find guy that fit his system. If there’s one guy that could step in and keep the Chiefs on the same trajectory as they’ve started with Reid and Dorsey, it’s Brett Veach. And, by all accounts, if the Chiefs don’t promote him, someone else will.

Thanks for the bio on Veach, C4L. It does sound like he is the leading candidate. I say, let's roll the dice with him.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast