Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs fire John Dorsey

Default Chiefs fire John Dorsey

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...m-john-dorsey/

Chiefs fire G.M. John Dorsey

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 22, 2017, 4:15 PM EDT
    ADVANCE FOR WEEKEND EDITIONS, MARCH 9-10 – FILE – In this Jan. 14, 2013, file photo, Kansas City Chiefs general manager John Dorsey, left, poses with head coach Andy Reid during an NFL football news conference announcing Dorsey’s hiring in Kansas City, Mo. The new group in charge of the Chiefs is going right to work, making bold moves to turn around a franchise that went 2-14 last season. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel, File)"
    AP
    In a surprise announcement at what is ordinarily the slowest time of the year in the NFL, the Chiefs have fired General Manager John Dorsey.
    The Chiefs issued a statement saying Dorsey is out.
    “I notified John that we would not be extending his contract beyond the 2017 season, and after consideration, we felt it was in his best interests and the best interests of the team to part ways now,” owner Clark Hunt said in a statement.
    That announcement came about half an hour after the Chiefs announced that head coach Andy Reid has signed a contract extension. That will obviously lead to speculation that perhaps Dorsey and Reid weren’t on the same page, and that Reid won a power struggle within the organization. Dorsey recently made the surprising decision to cut an old favorite of Reid’s, Jeremy Maclin.
    Dorsey is the third G.M. to be fired this offseason.

Last edited by Eydugstr; 06-22-2017 at 04:28 PM.

we have 11 million in cap space, also the doesnt make us better in fact it hurts us dorsey was fantastic at finding those diamonds, like Mitchell last year and talent evaluation. plus this makes me very nervous for next years draft

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    we have 11 million in cap space, also the doesnt make us better in fact it hurts us dorsey was fantastic at finding those diamonds, like Mitchell last year and talent evaluation. plus this makes me very nervous for next years draft
    Agreed, this is completely BOMBSHELL. I suspect the trouble started with the Maclin release & how it was handled and the bad PR that followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. Of course "cap space" is kind of a moving target and whatever actual cap space we have was created by the release of Maclin. But Dorsey's talent for finding great value in the later rounds of the draft as well as UDFA and other areas outside the draft has been huge. I just don't understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Agreed, this is completely BOMBSHELL. I suspect the trouble started with the Maclin release & how it was handled and the bad PR that followed.
    Hell! This is a damned MOAB! I hate to think that this was all over the Maclin release. That was bad enough PR but this move isn't going to generate any good PR either. One PR disaster is not ameliorated by another.

Speaking of PR.....We all remember JC's nasty comments after he signed with the Broncos. I suggest we all brace ourselves because I'm not convinced we won't see some from Dorsey. Like the Maclin release this is rather late to be firing a GM and I don't have a hard time imagining Dorsey feeling a bit bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Speaking of PR.....We all remember JC's nasty comments after he signed with the Broncos. I suggest we all brace ourselves because I'm not convinced we won't see some from Dorsey. Like the Maclin release this is rather late to be firing a GM and I don't have a hard time imagining Dorsey feeling a bit bitter.
    I don't know about that & I suspect that Dorsey is headed back up north to GB, and may view this as a blessing in disguise whne it is all said and done.

I don't know about that & I suspect that Dorsey is headed back up north to GB, and may view this as a blessing in disguise whne it is all said and done.
    True....there was a lot of speculation earlier this year that GB wanted him back. I like Dorsey and wish him well. I just still can't quite wrap my head around the idea that we fired him.

This doesn't tell us anything new, but it does make me wonder if there was some friction between Reid and Dorsey and that perhaps Dorsey simply lost a power struggle. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...training-camp/

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    True....there was a lot of speculation earlier this year that GB wanted him back. I like Dorsey and wish him well. I just still can't quite wrap my head around the idea that we fired him.
    I remember after the playoff loss to Indy that Dorsey said that he didn't believe in curses, but maybe he changed his mind after 4 seasons with three playoff failures & maybe he told Hunt that he wanted his walking papers. Speculation, of course, but you can't get around the 4-15 record in the post-season since 1970.

And what now, regarding the upcoming season? Does this event cause a shockwave that they won't be able to recover from & does the 2017 season go completely in the tank?

I remember after the playoff loss to Indy that Dorsey said that he didn't believe in curses, but maybe he changed his mind after 4 seasons with three playoff failures & maybe he told Hunt that he wanted his walking papers. Speculation, of course, but you can't get around the 4-15 record in the post-season since 1970.
    No you can't. But a GM or Coach with any balls would take that as a challenge to be overcome.

And what now, regarding the upcoming season? Does this event cause a shockwave that they won't be able to recover from & does the 2017 season go completely in the tank?
    And that right there is the real question....JC, Poe, Maclin, Dorsey. The Maclin release made me worried about this season. This latest certainly doesn't make me feel any better.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast