Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brett Veach it is.....

Hopefully this turns out positive for the Chiefs as a whole, but I have to wonder what Dorsey did wrong that brought all this about. It's been written that Dorsey didn't communicate well, but I'm beginning to wonder if it was a situation like the one that was going on between Dick Vermeil and Carl Peterson, with Peterson drafting players/positions Vermeil didn't necessarily want (for ex when CP drafted Ryan Sims or when Larry Johnson was drafted).

Another thought that's gone through my head...What does the league think of this move? After what happened with the Maclin "tampering" BS, will Veach's associaton with Reid break any rules that come back to haunt us next draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    But I have to wonder
    That's just the thing Dugstr. This is simply the most puzzling off-season I have ever seen. SO MANY things that just don't seem to make any sense. I'm going to make a list below of things that have me simply saying "What in the name of sam hill is going on"?

1) The drafting of Mahomes. Who was really behind this? Yes it seems Hunt, Dorsey and Reid were all happy about it but given what it cost us--2 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick--there had to be 1 person who was really the cheerleader for the idea. 1 person who convinced the others that Mahomes was worth ANY PRICE we had to pay. Who was that 1 person? Reid or Dorsey? I'm glad we did it, but I want to know who the "prime mover" behind this was?

2) Releasing JC. When JC was unable to perform to his normal standards for the second year in a row I predicted here and in other places that we would never see him in a Chiefs uniform again. But it would be interesting to know if this was a consensus decision or was there some division between Reid, Dorsey and Hunt on this?

3) Releasing Maclin. This is a COMPLETE HEAD-SCRATCHER. The Chiefs gave up 2 draft picks and $200K in fines. Reid gave up $60K in fines. Dorsey gave up $25K in fines. That's A LOT of gold to give up for a player. And we release him after just 2 years???!!! WTF!?!? Yes, he didn't have a great year last year but he was hampered by injuries all year long and we've kept players FAR LONGER who were less productive. For Christ's sake...Reid was at Maclin's wedding just a week before he was released!!! This just doesn't make any sense. At the very least he should have gotten 1 more year to make a "comeback". So again we have the question "Who was behind this?" "Was there friction between Dorsey and Reid about this move?" I have a difficult time imagining there wasn't. I just don't see Reid having been in favor of this. Doesn't seem like Reid's "style".

4) Releasing Poe. This is less of a surprise. But still surprises me. He was going to want a BIG payday--or at least that is the assumption. And the Chiefs are in Cap-Hell. But none-the-less there are ways to structure a contract so the first year or two are not too expensive and it seems likely that at the time Poe was released we were already closing in on the idea of drafting a QBOTF which in the next year or two was likely to make Alex Smith's contract expendable. Once again I'd like to know if there was any friction between Reid and Dorsey on this.

5) Reid gets an extension and Dorsey gets fired either the same day or the next. I suppose it's possible that the timing of these two moves is pure coincidence. I also suppose it is possible the moon is made of Swiss cheese and the earth is flat. So no. I don't believe the timing was a coincidence. Was this a simple power play by Reid? Was this Reid getting revenge for Dorsey making several moves he (Reid) didn't like? Or was Hunt perhaps angry because of the constant cap problems? Yes. Dorsey did NOT DO WELL at managing the cap. Undeniable. But not exactly surprising. Dorsey a had no previous experience in cap management when we hired him. Dorsey was a "personnel guy". You just don't expect someone to become a cap-genius overnight. And anyway...we've just hired ANOTHER GM who has ZERO cap management experience. Once again, this move makes no sense if it was just about the cap problems.

So...there is something going on here that doesn't make any sense. So many really strange things have happened and in a very short time span. Something is going on that none of truly understand and I for one would like to know what the hell it is.

If he can reload instead of rebuild then I'm all for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    If he can reload instead of rebuild then I'm all for him.
    Chiefster....I'm not "against" Veach. I am a LOOOONG term Chiefs fan so by definition I am "for" Veach. But it vexes me that I have absolutely NO CLUE how all these strange moves came about.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Chiefster....I'm not "against" Veach. I am a LOOOONG term Chiefs fan so by definition I am "for" Veach. But it vexes me that I have absolutely NO CLUE how all these strange moves came about.
    Yeah, it is all a little unsettling my friend, but that tends to be the nature of the beast especially with the Chiefs unfortunately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12