Thread: LB traded to Seahawks

Default LB traded to Seahawks

Chiefs trade DJ Alexander to Seahawks for LB Kevin Pierre-Louis
    by Joel Thorman@ArrowheadPride Jul 28, 2017, 11:13am CDT
    TWEET

PIN

REC
    TRADE! The Kansas City Chiefs have cleaned up their inside linebacker logjam by trading away special teams ace DJ Alexander to the Seattle Seahawks, according to an announcement from the Chiefs. They acquired LB Kevin Pierre-Louis from the Seahawks in the trade.

This is the first big move for Chiefs new GM Brett Veach. I looked at the inside linebackers today and realized the Chiefs were going to have to cut a good player. They also drafted another inside linebacker, Ukeme Eligwe, in the fifth round this year and re-signed Josh Mauga recently.

This is a little surprising because Alexander was a special teams Pro Bowler last year. However, he had little to no role on defense. The Chiefs have an excellent special teams group so maybe they feel they have the talent (and coaching - hi, Dave Toub) to replace him there.

Pierre-Louis was a 2014 fourth round pick by the Seahawks. He has very few career stats so I don’t know much about him. I figured Alexander was going to make the team so I would hope the guy the Chiefs traded him for can crack the 53-man roster. The Chiefs first training camp practice is this afternoon.

Poll

C4L.....Good to see you again! I was kinda wondering where you had been for a while.

Because Alexander made the Pro Bowl as "special teams" this initially seems like an odd trade, but because I believe Reid now pretty much has "the final say" when it comes to personnel I'm assuming this means Reid saw something in Pierre Louis that he thought could be made into an important contributor. For a number of years now "Next Man Up" has saved us from seeing our seasons collapse due to injuries so if Reid figures Pierre Louis has some talent that the Seahawks have been unable to harness then "in Reid I trust"....until he proves me wrong.

I don't get it at all. Alexander actually showed some good promise at ILB. I know he made the pro-bowl as a special teams player, but he did play a bunch as an ilb in that game and made some plays.

The only logic I can see, is our ILB are coming back from injury and there just is no room for him.