Thread: Chiefs Run Out of Bullets, Lose To Favre and the Packers, 33-22

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Default Chiefs Run Out of Bullets, Lose To Favre and the Packers, 33-22

Chiefs Run Out of Bullets, Lose To Favre and the Packers, 33-22

Nov 04, 2007, 4:00:00 AM

By Patrick Herb What began as a defensive slugfest between the Chiefs and Packers turned into a classic fourth-quarter shootout at Arrowhead Stadium. Trailing 13-7 after three quarters, the Chiefs didn’t have quite enough answers to match Packers QB Brett Favre as both teams combined for 35 fourth-quarter points with Green Bay winning a wild 33-22 decision.
    A future Hall of Famer, Favre checked the final team off of his win list – joining QBs Tom Brady and Peyton Manning as the only other signal callers to defeat all 31 other NFL franchises – by throwing for 360 yards and two TDs on the afternoon. The lead switched hands six times in the game with the final momentum swing coming on a 60-yard Favre-to-WR Greg Jennings touchdown pass with 3:05 left to play. That score gave Green Bay a slim 23-22 advantage, but was enough to hang on for the win.
    CB Patrick Surtain snuffed out the Packers drive of the game when he intercepted Favre at the Kansas City eight-yard line. After making one first down, Chiefs P Dustin Colquitt pinned the Packers deep with a 56-yard punt that bounced out of bounds at the two-yard line.
    Favre and company would dig themselves out of that hole with a 15-play drive that featured third-down completions to TE Donald Lee and Jennings. When the drive stalled at the KC 30-yard line K Mason Crosby knocked in a 48-yard field goal for a 3-0 lead early in the second quarter.
    The Chiefs offense struggled to find a rhythm early in the fast-moving first half. Kansas City had just three first downs on its first four possessions. Huard was under consistent pressure from the Packers defensive line as three of the Chiefs first four drives ended with a sack.
    A 48-yard catch-and-run from Favre to TE Donald Lee set up another Packers field goal late in the second quarter, this time a 36-yarder for a 6-0 lead.
    Favre would be his own worst enemy again just before halftime as he was intercepted by CB Benny Sapp with just 0:25 before intermission. DT Alfonso Boone hit Favre’s hand as he released the ball and Sapp stepped in front of the pass, returning the pick to the Green Bay 30-yard line. After S Atari Bigby was flagged for pass interference in the end zone on a deep pass for WR Samie Parker, RB Larry Johnson leaped over the pile for a one-yard touchdown run. Despite being outgained 181 to 62 in total yards, the Chiefs held an improbable 7-6 lead at halftime.
    The Chiefs caught a break in the third quarter when Packers rookie K Mason Crosby missed wide left on a 52-yard field goal. Huard and company couldn’t capitalize however as Green Bay LB A.J. Hawk intercepted a Huard pass and returned it to the Chiefs 30-yard line. A 15-yard completion to RB Ryan Grant set up a 13-yard touchdown pass from Favre to WR Greg Jennings as the Packers regained the lead by a 13-7 count.
    Green Bay’s touchdown must have sparked the Chiefs offense because Kansas City answered with its best drive of the afternoon. Working from the Chiefs 26-yard line, Huard completed passes of 17 and nine yards to TE Tony Gonzalez to move the Chiefs across midfield. From there, Huard slipped a screen pass out to Johnson in the left flat and when the Pro Bowl back looked up he saw nothing but lead blockers in front of him. C Casey Wiegmann made a crushing block downfield freeing Johnson to dive into the end zone for a 30-yard touchdown as the Chiefs took a 14-13 lead.
    Not to be outdown, Favre hit WR Donald Driver on an incredible 44-yard pass on the very next play, moving the Packers down to the KC 16-yard line. The Chiefs defense stiffened and only allowed a 32-yard Crosby field goal as the game flipped back to the Packers favor at 16-14 with just under nine minutes to go.
    The see-saw match was far from over. The Chiefs would bounce right back with a six-play, 82-yard scoring march. Johnson got the drive jump-started with 19 yards on the first two plays, but suffered a right ankle injury on the second play forcing him to the leave the game. Huard then went back to Gonzalez finding him on a 10-yard completion before a 25-yard defensive pass interference call on CB Charles Woodson set Kansas City up at the 17-yard line. The very next play Huard whizzed a touchdown pass to Gonzalez (10 catches for 109 yards), giving the Chiefs a 20-16 lead. As the Chiefs lined up for the two-point conversion, two defensive penalties paved the way for RB Priest Holmes to dive over the pile to push the lead to 22-16 with 5:18 remaining.
    That was too much time for Favre, who was quick to strike on the Packers next possession. Three straight short completions gave way to a 60-yard touchdown bomb to Jennings, who ran untouched through the Chiefs secondary. The throw was particularly impressive considering Favre delivered the ball off of his back foot and hit the receiver in stride. The sixth lead change of the game gave the Packers a 23-22 lead that they would never relinquish.
    Kansas City appeared to be firing right back when Huard hit WR Jeff Webb down the sideline for a 36-yard gain. However a Packers challenge overturned the completion, ruling that Webb’s second foot come down out of bounds. The Chiefs would be forced to punt and gave up another field goal on the ensuing possession.
    Trailing by four with 1:40 remaining, the stage was set for a comeback drive by Kansas City, but it was not to be. On the third play, Huard was picked off by Woodson near midfield and the interception was returned for the game-clinching touchdown, sealing the 33-22 Packers win.
    Next Sunday the Chiefs will host AFC West rival Denver at Arrowhead Stadium. Kickoff with the Broncos is scheduled for 12:00 noon.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/11...ary_packers07/

Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound bryon!

Heh!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Someone was going to post it, and I needed the arrowcash.

Just doing my duty.

I know, I was just giving you some cr@p.

My spirit isn't broken, only because the other 2 teams we needed to lose, just happened to.

HERM is gonna have to realize he cannot keep counting on other teams to lose, and that we have to get some dominant O going, or we are going nowhere.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    I know, I was just giving you some cr@p.

My spirit isn't broken, only because the other 2 teams we needed to lose, just happened to.

HERM is gonna have to realize he cannot keep counting on other teams to lose, and that we have to get some dominant O going, or we are going nowhere.
    Agreed. It's totally backwards to not try to win the game outright from the first snap. Keeping the game "managable" also does so for the other team, it seems. We need to start taking a few chances and try to dominate people. Giving the other team countless chances because you are so conservative and apparently lack faith in your players, is stupid. These guys are in the NFL for a reason. Even if they aren't superstars, they deserve a chance to play all-out and leave it all on the field. Most coaches will say give me 110, or even 200%. It seems like Herm tells his guys to only give him 80% because they will have a higher probability of making a mistake if they give 100...
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Thank you!

That is what I meant!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    Agreed. It's totally backwards to not try to win the game outright from the first snap. Keeping the game "managable" also does so for the other team, it seems. We need to start taking a few chances and try to dominate people. Giving the other team countless chances because you are so conservative and apparently lack faith in your players, is stupid. These guys are in the NFL for a reason. Even if they aren't superstars, they deserve a chance to play all-out and leave it all on the field. Most coaches will say give me 110, or even 200%. It seems like Herm tells his guys to only give him 80% because they will have a higher probability of making a mistake if they give 100...
    I so totally agree with this it isn't funny, and if Herm can't trust players someone needs to evaluate if it is a trust issue with him or if the player cant be trusted, if they cant be trusted cut them, if they can be trusted but Herm wont trust them then cut Herm.

Quote Originally Posted by bryonc View Post
    I so totally agree with this it isn't funny, and if Herm can't trust players someone needs to evaluate if it is a trust issue with him or if the player cant be trusted, if they cant be trusted cut them, if they can be trusted but Herm wont trust them then cut Herm.
    I am listening to HERMs press conference right now, and he is talking about having a 21 point lead and how nice that would be.

Is this crazy sonofabiscuit eater actually realizing this after 7 years as a head coach?????

WTF???