Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Postgame @texans

Default Postgame @texans

1.I've got to start with ALEX FING SMITH. It needs to be said HE IS THE MVP right now. Yes Hunt has been great as well. But there have been times early on when the run game has been stuffed and he still lead us to scores. Hunt has been the closer for sure. But Alex has been more throughout the entire game tonight's game shows just how far this offense has come. In the past when we have been in 3rd and long you might as well just run the punter on. Tonight he just keep the chains moving 3rd and 15 and he moved the chains. Have to give it up to him.

2. I was terrified all week about the O line. They simply put hadn't been getting out to good starts. Tonight even before the Watt injury they did a GREAT job. Just have to hope that this is a sign of things to come. It was kind of the same last year early in the year they had some horrible moments but by the end of the season they were pretty damn good. Lets hope that trend continues.

3. I'm getting worried about the D just a little. They are breaking a little to much. You might be able to say they took their foot off the gas when they got up big But if you keep doing that it's going to come back to bite you at some point. Things for Reid and Sutton to preach this week. Also seeing a bit to much just looking at the refs. The last long pass one of our D line just stopped playing and was going towards the refs. That just can't happen. Let it go and PLAY.

4. This team just seems to have something. They are getting in spots in which in past years would have gotten them beat and they are overcoming them (see the above mentioned 3rd down) Will this keep up? Is it just a little hot streak? Time will tell. But for now it's very exciting

It really kind of sucked to see JJ Watt get hurt. He's not only a great player but he has shown he's a top notch person with what he did after Harvey hit Houston. A tip of the cap to him. And I hope that he can stop this injury thing that he seems to be in right now.

For the Chiefs it's on the the Steelers at home. We went into Houston last year with them looking for revenge and you could tell they were a little extra amped for that and it played a big factor in their win. I hope to see the same thing from our guys next week. GO CHIEFS
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Matt...you summed it up real well. So well that their isn't much I can add. So all I'm going to do is try to amplify a couple of your points.

Alex Smith is doing what everybody that knows anything says he can not do...setting the world on fire. Alex's 4 previous years in KC have all been the best years of his career. But so far in 2017 he is making the "Old Alex" look like a lawnmower vs a Corvette. He has completed over 75% of his passes. He is averaging almost 9 yards per attempt. He has the highest rating (125.8) of any QB in the NFL. He is averaging 299.8 yards per game (passing and rushing). By passing and rushing he has accounted for 72.3% of all our yards on offense. Yeah...almost 75% of all our yards on offense. He is throwing the deep ball and is completing them. No INTs in 5 games. And last night he made 3rd and long look like a walk in the park. Where did "Old Alex" go? And who is this new guy?

I have listened to the talking heads say this "New Alex" is all because of the pressure from the Mahomes pick and I'm sure that is a factor, but could it just possibly be part of Alex's new success is that he is simply being given more freedom to "Just do it"?

We all know that the day will come when Mahomes is our QB, but right now I can't help but wonder if instead of Mahomes putting pressure on Alex maybe Alex is putting pressure on Mahomes?

In any case, whoever this new guy that replaced Alex Smith is, he is doing one hell of a job!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Matt...you summed it up real well. So well that their isn't much I can add. So all I'm going to do is try to amplify a couple of your points.

Alex Smith is doing what everybody that knows anything says he can not do...setting the world on fire. Alex's 4 previous years in KC have all been the best years of his career. But so far in 2017 he is making the "Old Alex" look like a lawnmower vs a Corvette. He has completed over 75% of his passes. He is averaging almost 9 yards per attempt. He has the highest rating (125.8) of any QB in the NFL. He is averaging 299.8 yards per game (passing and rushing). By passing and rushing he has accounted for 72.3% of all our yards on offense. Yeah...almost 75% of all our yards on offense. He is throwing the deep ball and is completing them. No INTs in 5 games. And last night he made 3rd and long look like a walk in the park. Where did "Old Alex" go? And who is this new guy?

I have listened to the talking heads say this "New Alex" is all because of the pressure from the Mahomes pick and I'm sure that is a factor, but could it just possibly be part of Alex's new success is that he is simply being given more freedom to "Just do it"?

We all know that the day will come when Mahomes is our QB, but right now I can't help but wonder if instead of Mahomes putting pressure on Alex maybe Alex is putting pressure on Mahomes?
    In any case, whoever this new guy that replaced Alex Smith is, he is doing one hell of a job!
    FREEDOM IS a greet point CT

Andy has said this prior to the season that Alex has far more freedom then he has in years past. THe first couple of years Alex did not have the option to audible at the line. Now he does and he is using that freedom and it's working amazingly well.

A lot has been made about Alex and the Mahomes pick by those talking heads and his detractors. But he is in the best position he has been in his career. Last week I listed the WRs the Chiefs gave him to work with. It was an embarrassment I've always been one to defend him now he is showing why.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

It was clear that the Texans were trying to push Kelce's buttons this week and get a penalty for it. It was good to see him hold his tongue specially as the ref was about to flag him for complaining.

While Mitchell was beat for 3 TD's. I think he played great and was all over Hopkins to the point he got frustrated and started punching Mitchell. It was not like he was burnt, they made great plays to score those Td's.

I could care little for JJ Watt. I grew very irritated from the constant press of him getting hurt to limping off the field. Then going under the tent, then carted off the field, to going to the extra machine, getting in an ambulance, sitting in the ambulance for a long time an then he detailed explanation the rest of the night about his injury. The actual football game took a back seat his injury. His performance has been absent against the Chiefs the last three games we played them, so I feel as an on the field guy. Is highly overrated. Off the field, he is great. But so are so many other players.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post

Andy has said this prior to the season that Alex has far more freedom then he has in years past. THe first couple of years Alex did not have the option to audible at the line. Now he does and he is using that freedom and it's working amazingly well.

A lot has been made about Alex and the Mahomes pick by those talking heads and his detractors. But he is in the best position he has been in his career. Last week I listed the WRs the Chiefs gave him to work with. It was an embarrassment I've always been one to defend him now he is showing why.
    Well one audible was busted where Alex ended up keeping it either because the play was busted or just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Well one audible was busted where Alex ended up keeping it either because the play was busted or just wrong.
    I recall the play you referenced it was not a highlight for sure.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

You and I clearly watch some of the same vids of Reid talking about Smith. Thinking back, For the 1st 2 years Reid pretty much kept Alex on a very short leash. Reid called the plays and about the only freedom Alex had was to scramble if O-line blocking went to hell. As I recall in Alex's 3rd year there was some talk about how Alex was being given a LITTLE freedom to audible. And now it seems that Alex has pretty much been given about as much freedom as Reid will ever give a QB. And it is making Alex and Andy BOTH look good.

As to the talking heads.....they are mostly "me too!" people. I don't know who first called Alex a "game manager" but I know for sure that if whoever first called Alex that had $1 for every time someone else has called Alex that then the guy that first said it would be making more money every year than Alex is. It's just me too-ism. During the off-season I got in a debate with a Broncos fan on another site and he kept saying how lame Alex was. And I got ANNOYED. Over 2 days I compiled a list of Alex's stats since he came to KC (including W-L record) and compared them to the QBs that are considered "elite". I like Alex and always have but even I was surprised at how good Alex is. To his credit, after I posted the Broncos fan came back and said "You're right. Alex is very good. But he's boring to watch." Well...Alex ain't boring no more!

Alex is under contract for one more year and if we keep him and he continues to play as well as he has this year so far then I think we're facing a serious QB Controversy. 'Cause right now Alex is wearing his "big boy pants" and playing as if he intends to keep wearing them. How much of that is Reid's play-calling and how much is just Alex I just don't pretend to know, but I know for sure that Alex is playing some very damned good football.

I saw that post and I truly think it shows what a great job the Reid-Dorsey team did. Mostly when a team dumps their coach and GM as we did after the 2012 season the "new regime" blows the team up and almost starts from scratch. We didn't. Instead we got a new QB and not a whole lot more to help him. But Reid and his new coaching staff completely turned the team around. Better QB. Better coaching. And Reid has been able to keep us competitive as we slowly rebuilt (instead of blowing the team up). We had a GOOD team in 2012 but the coaching and management sucked. Now we have a damned good team, good coaching staff and some guys in their rookie contracts that are setting the NFL on fire with a rookie QB who is riding the pine who MIGHT get mentioned in the same sentence as Brady, Montana, Manning, Favre and others.

It's a GREAT time to be a Chiefs fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I recall the play you referenced it was not a highlight for sure.
    Not sure we're all talking about the same play, but when a QB goes audible at the line it is a RISK. The QB mostly becomes the Hero or the Goat. So far this year, when Alex "improvises" things have turned out well most of the time. Old saying...."Sometimes you eat the bear. Sometimes the bear eats you." Mostly this year Alex has been eating bear steaks for dinner. May he continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    You and I clearly watch some of the same vids of Reid talking about Smith. Thinking back, For the 1st 2 years Reid pretty much kept Alex on a very short leash. Reid called the plays and about the only freedom Alex had was to scramble if O-line blocking went to hell. As I recall in Alex's 3rd year there was some talk about how Alex was being given a LITTLE freedom to audible. And now it seems that Alex has pretty much been given about as much freedom as Reid will ever give a QB. And it is making Alex and Andy BOTH look good.

As to the talking heads.....they are mostly "me too!" people. I don't know who first called Alex a "game manager" but I know for sure that if whoever first called Alex that had $1 for every time someone else has called Alex that then the guy that first said it would be making more money every year than Alex is. It's just me too-ism. During the off-season I got in a debate with a Broncos fan on another site and he kept saying how lame Alex was. And I got ANNOYED. Over 2 days I compiled a list of Alex's stats since he came to KC (including W-L record) and compared them to the QBs that are considered "elite". I like Alex and always have but even I was surprised at how good Alex is. To his credit, after I posted the Broncos fan came back and said "You're right. Alex is very good. But he's boring to watch." Well...Alex ain't boring no more!

Alex is under contract for one more year and if we keep him and he continues to play as well as he has this year so far then I think we're facing a serious QB Controversy. 'Cause right now Alex is wearing his "big boy pants" and playing as if he intends to keep wearing them. How much of that is Reid's play-calling and how much is just Alex I just don't pretend to know, but I know for sure that Alex is playing some very damned good football.

I saw that post and I truly think it shows what a great job the Reid-Dorsey team did. Mostly when a team dumps their coach and GM as we did after the 2012 season the "new regime" blows the team up and almost starts from scratch. We didn't. Instead we got a new QB and not a whole lot more to help him. But Reid and his new coaching staff completely turned the team around. Better QB. Better coaching. And Reid has been able to keep us competitive as we slowly rebuilt (instead of blowing the team up). We had a GOOD team in 2012 but the coaching and management sucked. Now we have a damned good team, good coaching staff and some guys in their rookie contracts that are setting the NFL on fire with a rookie QB who is riding the pine who MIGHT get mentioned in the same sentence as Brady, Montana, Manning, Favre and others.

It's a GREAT time to be a Chiefs fan.
    I pretty much watch every Andy Presser he would talk about it a lot actually. I think more people should listen to them you get a little bit of a better idea of what's going on with the team from them. It was one criticism that drove me nuts. While Our head coach was openly saying Alex couldn't change the play at the line people would bash him for not doing so.

To me the biggest difference from Alex this year is when he is running he's looking to throw the ball still. In the years past he would make up his mind to run and get maybe one or two yards now he's running extending the play and giving a WR a chance. Though it also helps that our WRs are making use of that time. In times past they would just stop and stare at Alex like a deer in the headlights. So that's not just something Alex has improved on that's something the offense as a whole has.

And it's VERY exciting to see
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I pretty much watch every Andy Presser he would talk about it a lot actually. I think more people should listen to them you get a little bit of a better idea of what's going on with the team from them. It was one criticism that drove me nuts. While Our head coach was openly saying Alex couldn't change the play at the line people would bash him for not doing so.

To me the biggest difference from Alex this year is when he is running he's looking to throw the ball still. In the years past he would make up his mind to run and get maybe one or two yards now he's running extending the play and giving a WR a chance. Though it also helps that our WRs are making use of that time. In times past they would just stop and stare at Alex like a deer in the headlights. So that's not just something Alex has improved on that's something the offense as a whole has.

And it's VERY exciting to see

It is. And Alex is showing flashes of Roger Staubach. He ain't there yet but on some plays I see Roger the Dodger.

Where do you follow Reid's pressers? Could you provide a link? I've just upgraded from XP to 10 and so a lot of vids that I couldn't watch in the past I can now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast