Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Made us KC Chief Fans?

Default What Made us KC Chief Fans?

Guys...It's early here in Istanbul. I've been to Arrowhead 6 times in my life. Never lived in the Mid-West. Always the Northeast (Delaware, New Jersey & Massachusetts) Kept climbing North! Anyway..I had a male babysitter in Delaware that gave me the option to pick from 5 different boxes of NFL paraphernalia. There was the Eagles, Colts (Baltimore), Redskins, Cowboys & the Chiefs. I picked the Chiefs! I LOVED the logo & Red is my favorite color.I think I was like 5 or 6 @ the time. So here I am like 40+ years later & I have the same addiction to this team! That's why I'm here! I don't even remember his name.

I'm sure many of us have a crazy story about of love for the Chiefs. Please share.
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

Quote Originally Posted by KCMASS View Post
    In the early 70's I would be jumping for joy when the Chiefs were on TV in Delaware. It didn't happen that often. Maybe when they played the Baltimore Colts or the Eagles. Our antenna would pick-up the Philly & Baltimore feeds. Remember that old wooden console TV that had to have to be 350 lbs.. The "good old days"
    Hell! I remember watching the Chiefs in B&W from an antenna at the top of a hemlock tree. Yeah we lived WAY UP IN THE WOODS back then. 3 miles up a 1 lane dirt road that we plowed ourselves when it snowed. Primitive, but in many ways better than things are today. Hell I sound like my parents did back then talking about walking to school. Guess I am just as outdated as dinosauers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    I've lived off and on in the KC area; Started liking and watching football when I was about six or seven in the late seventies. We lived in KC at that time, and although I really, really wanted the Chiefs to be a good team, but it didn't happen. By that time the Stram era Chiefs were long gone, Len Dawson was a sportsperson on the local news. We moved from Wyoming then to Denver by the mid eighties, so for a short time I cheered for the Bears, then later the Denver Broncos when it was obvious that Reeves was building a serious team.

We moved back to KC in the late eighties, about the same time King Carl and Schottenheimer started to prove that KC had a football team, too. For the longest time I didn't warm back up to the Chiefs, after how dismal they were in the late seventies/early eighties, but I respected Schottenheimer for all the great Broncos/Browns games and Carl Peterson seemed for real as a GM. When the '92 season rolled around and Carl Peterson took Dave Krieg as a free agent away from the Seahawks, figured they were for real and trying to build a team that was going to keep coming back to the playoffs. While the '92 season was more memorable for it's defense than offense, it paved the way for what happened in '93 and I was hooked on being Chiefs fan from there on out.

While a lot of years have passed since then but it always amazes me when from how far out the Chiefs "Kingdom" has spread (Istanbul ? Really ?!? Glad you're onboard...)

GO CHIEFS DESTROY THE STEELERS....
    I really LOVED Marty! I mean it. He brought us back to some respectability. I knew if the playoffs we were going to choke & yet & didn't care. Regular season games were 3 yards & a cloud of dust! Okoye, Word, Williams. Steve DeBerg & his wonderful pass/action fakes to Stephone Paige for a 70 yard bomb! I remember bringing my father to a Patriots game (when he was alive) & they didn't have fans back then. Just drunk idiots rolling around in the stands. We beat them 37-7 (maybe 1990?) Steve was on his game that day.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Hell! I remember watching the Chiefs in B&W from an antenna at the top of a hemlock tree. Yeah we lived WAY UP IN THE WOODS back then. 3 miles up a 1 lane dirt road that we plowed ourselves when it snowed. Primitive, but in many ways better than things are today. Hell I sound like my parents did back then talking about walking to school. Guess I am just as outdated as dinosauers.
    CT: I know. B&W TV's! Was a different time. No remote controls, antenna on the roof. One TV in the house. No wonder why kids are so fat today...They don't even get-up to switch a channel! Any type of TV was fine by me. I'll never have bad thing to say about when I grew up (late 60's early 70's) I need to hit the sack. Sunrise will be here in less then 45 minutes.

I kno I have posted this years ago here.....I started rooting for the then Dallas Texans in 1960....I was about 7......and it was because of the NY Yankees......all my family and friends were yankee fans.....along came the PIRATES and upset them in the world series....and I became a rooter of underdogs. and the underdog American Football League came along.....so i picked a team with the coolest logo......a cowboy riding a horse with a lasso [reminded of Pecos Bill],,,,and they were pretty darn good.....then they moved to KC and had an Indian Chief riding a horse w/a tomahawk logo....life is good.....and yes I am a PIRATE fan too.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    I kno I have posted this years ago here.....I started rooting for the then Dallas Texans in 1960....I was about 7......and it was because of the NY Yankees......all my family and friends were yankee fans.....along came the PIRATES and upset them in the world series....and I became a rooter of underdogs. and the underdog American Football League came along.....so i picked a team with the coolest logo......a cowboy riding a horse with a lasso [reminded of Pecos Bill],,,,and they were pretty darn good.....then they moved to KC and had an Indian Chief riding a horse w/a tomahawk logo....life is good.....and yes I am a PIRATE fan too.
    chiefnut.......That is a pretty damned cool way to become a Chiefs fan! And thanks for making me a feel a little younger! Way back when when I was a "sports fan" rather than just a football fan I became a Mets fan for similar reasons. I loved that they were underdogs to every team and especially the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post

Chiefnut: I hear you. The BEST logo of all-time...PERIOD! There's something about the KC logo within the Arrowhead & of course the best colors in the wold (Red, White & Gold!) As a young man I was simply memerized by it. Weird how some "little" things makes you take a certain turn & you stick with it your entire life. Glad the Donks blew it last night. Let's try & get to 12-4 or @ the worst 11-5 We could have had last nights game!

I really LOVED Marty! I mean it. He brought us back to some respectability. I knew if the playoffs we were going to choke & yet & didn't care. Regular season games were 3 yards & a cloud of dust! Okoye, Word, Williams. Steve DeBerg & his wonderful pass/action fakes to Stephone Paige for a 70 yard bomb! I remember bringing my father to a Patriots game (when he was alive) & they didn't have fans back then. Just drunk idiots rolling around in the stands. We beat them 37-7 (maybe 1990?) Steve was on his game that day.
    It was definitely a shame that Stephone Paige didn't get to play in the '92-'93 seasons. Really reliable WR.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    It was definitely a shame that Stephone Paige didn't get to play in the '92-'93 seasons. Really reliable WR.
    Eydugstr. Where did Stephone end up? I'm thinking Minnesota?

Eydugstr. Where did Stephone end up? I'm thinking Minnesota?
    Yup. The Vikes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12