Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Chiefs vs Steelers Official Game Day Thread***

Default ***Chiefs vs Steelers Official Game Day Thread***

“Maybe I don’t have it anymore.”
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

WOW Topeka! Once again you have outdone yourself! I SO look forward to this thread every week!

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't buy into this stuff about Big Ben being washed up. He had a rough game last week but one rough game does not make him washed up. I expect he will be mad as hell this week and itching to make us pay for what the Jaguars did to him. Also, we haven't been great against the run for a couple of years now so Le'Veon Bell could make a lot of trouble for us today. So I think the Steelers have some "intangibles" going for them this week.

For the Chiefs we also have some "intangibles" going for us. We're playing in Arrowhead and I expect the fans will be howling like a pack of wolves. In addition I suspect the players would like to get rid of the taste of last seasons twin losses to the Steelers. For the Chiefs to win I think the Defense will need to step up a bit more than they have the last few weeks, the offense will need to have one of their best games and the play-calling will need to be near perfect. My biggest worry is the injuries. We've done well with "next man up" but for the Chiefs to win the next men up are going to need to play lights out.

All in all I expect this to be the Chiefs biggest challenge so far this year.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 10-15-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KCMASS View Post
    Thanks Topeka! You guys are sleeping right now. It's past 11:00AM for me. I'm worried about this game! Why can't we get a 1:00PM game? Stinks.
    I wasn't sleeping. I slept from 5:30 to 9:30 CT this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    WOW Topeka! Once again you have outdone yourself! I SO look forward to this thread every week!
    Thank you both. I work hard on this thread and I'm glad you enjoy it. It's a lot of work, but I love doing it.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 10-15-2017 at 12:52 PM.

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

It's hard for me to get too nervous about the only team in the NFL that lost to the Bears, this year. On the other hand, if the Bears can beat the Steelers, anybody can beat anybody.

This is a game that will be a lot closer than it should be, because the Chiefs are, by far, the better team. I'd feel a lot better if we weren't playing the Steelers the week after Ben had his worst game ever.

The Steelers are excellent at defending the pass but horrible at stopping the run and guess who has the best running back and the 2nd best rushing offense in the NFL? Give yourself a gold star if you said "the Chiefs." That plays right into our hands.

The best way to beat the Steelers is to keep their offense off of the field and last week's game against Houston provides the blueprint for how to do that. Run the ball a lot and mix in a healthy dose of short quick passes relying on yards after the catch.

Defensively, we have to stop Le'Veon Bell. that will require "gap integrity" and not over-pursuing. Now here's the tricky part. At the same time we have to put a ton of pressure on Big Ben. He is next to impossible to sack, but we can get in his face and hopefully force him to make some bad throws. Bell is not as good as he was last year, but he is still dangerous. Defense needs to get a lot of 3-and-outs or 5-and outs to stay rested, because if they get tired Ben will pick them apart.

If we control time of possession and win the turnover battle, this should be a solid win. although I expect it to be close until late in the game (as usual). Forget recent history. These aren't the same teams that played last year.

Chiefs 31
    Steelers 23

+1 to what ctc said - Thanks for doing these game threads, TR!

Not buying into the media hype about Big Ben. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them in the playoffs. Just hope he bounces back next Sunday.

I watching ESPN. It's great when you're #1 in the power rankings & your 5-0. We're getting a lot of attention (good & bad thing) I like the spread they did on Tyreek. I can't sleep. I'm just up. I notice next week we had a Thursday game vs. the Raiders? I'm getting bags under my eyes. Topeka.....GREAT job on the stats!
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Thank you both. I work hard on this thread and I'm glad you enjoy it. It's a lot of work, but I love doing it.
    I don't know how much effort it takes you but I know that for me to do even half the job you do with this thread every week would take me A TON OF TIME! I TRULY APPRECIATE the effort you put into this every week!

It's hard for me to get too nervous about the only team in the NFL that lost to the Bears, this year. On the other hand, if the Bears can beat the Steelers, anybody can beat anybody.
    Since you follow the Bears and I haven't since my neighbor in Md was a bears fan I gladly accept your optimism and appreciate your caution.

This is a game that will be a lot closer than it should be, because the Chiefs are, by far, the better team. I'd feel a lot better if we weren't playing the Steelers the week after Ben had his worst game ever.
    EXACTLY. Ben is going to want some redemption this week and it sucks that he is going to be looking to get it against the Chiefs.....INTANGIBLES.

The Steelers are excellent at defending the pass but horrible at stopping the run and guess who has the best running back and the 2nd best rushing offense in the NFL? Give yourself a gold star if you said "the Chiefs." That plays right into our hands.
    YEP! We have the best running back in the NFL in Hunt and West proved he can do a lot as well. But just as the run opens up the passing game, the pass can open up the running game (maybe part of why Hunt has been doing so well in the 4th quarter?) Far too early to tell, but in this respect Hunt is reminding me a bit of John Riggins back in the 80's. He was always at his best late in the game.

The best way to beat the Steelers is to keep their offense off of the field and last week's game against Houston provides the blueprint for how to do that. Run the ball a lot and mix in a healthy dose of short quick passes relying on yards after the catch.
    Absolutely! But I also think we need to throw the ball downfield and have at least some success at it to at least force them to respect the deep ball so they can't key on the short passes.

Defensively, we have to stop Le'Veon Bell. that will require "gap integrity" and not over-pursuing. Now here's the tricky part. At the same time we have to put a ton of pressure on Big Ben. He is next to impossible to sack, but we can get in his face and hopefully force him to make some bad throws. Bell is not as good as he was last year, but he is still dangerous. Defense needs to get a lot of 3-and-outs or 5-and outs to stay rested, because if they get tired Ben will pick them apart.
    If we can limit Bell (and as you say, he has not looked like he did last year) then we can pressure Ben. but this is what worries me....can our defense stop Bell? Stopping the run has not been what we've done best the last year or two. If we can limit Bell to the numbers he has been putting up this year then I think this game is an almost sure win. No production from Bell should likely equal poor production from Ben.

If we control time of possession and win the turnover battle, this should be a solid win. although I expect it to be close until late in the game (as usual). Forget recent history. These aren't the same teams that played last year.

Chiefs 31
    Steelers 23
    Topeka....I think your above analysis is better than any of the "professionals" you posted early in the thread. Of course, your prediction makes me nervous because I'm ALWAYS nervous about Chiefs games. Sometimes I get a "feeling" (good or bad) about a game and when I do they are usually right, but like last week I've no "feeling" just the usual pre-game jitters.

Topeka....I think your above analysis is better than any of the "professionals" you posted early in the thread. Of course, your prediction makes me nervous because I'm ALWAYS nervous about Chiefs games. Sometimes I get a "feeling" (good or bad) about a game and when I do they are usually right, but like last week I've no "feeling" just the usual pre-game jitters.

CT. I'm with you. I'm nervous. I just took a 3-mile walk (@ night) I'm @ Ahmet's place. He smokes & I noticed his pack sitting on the table (I stopped like 20+ years ago) For about 30 seconds I thought about grabbing one & lighting it up. I'm juiced-up on tea & pacing! Still an hour+ to go until game time. Just me tonight. Everyone is going to bed (No Chiefs fans tonight)
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    ... I also think we need to throw the ball downfield and have at least some success at it to at least force them to respect the deep ball so they can't key on the short passes.
    I completely agree. Even if we don't connect, you have to take a few shots downfield here and there just to force the secondary to back off. That will open up the run game and passes underneath. The short passes will spread the defense side to side so they can't play 8 men in the box.

Wasn't Riggins a really big guy? Hunt reminds me more of Barry Sanders except Sanders would dance around in the backfield more while Hunt makes one move and he's gone. Both RBs are like slippery bowling balls and both get stronger as the game goes on.

Albert Wilson is out for today's game ...

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast