Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post game vs Donkeys

Default Post game vs Donkeys

1. A W is a W and it's always nice to get the W even nicer when it's against the Donkeys. But a thought hit me while watching this game. This team lacks a killer instinct. This is the same trend that we have seen for a LONG LONG time. They had many many chances to put that game away but failed to do so by making unforced mistakes. A missed throw or a drop. It was the Chiefs stopping the Chiefs this is alarming since it's been the thing holding this team back in the post season for years. There is still time to work on it. But they have to learn to GO FOR THE KILL when you have the chance.

2. Alex did not have his best game. Missed a number of throws and had a couple of miscommunications not to mention the fumble. He went almost half the season before his first turnover of the year so you can't be to mad about that fumble. But again this is a trait we have seen before. You have to give some of the credit to the Denver D. But the missed throws have to be fixed. Those are unforced errors and they will get you beat if they are not fixed.

3. PLAYCALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again this is another thing that has been a bug for years. The redzone trick play really allowed them to stay in this game. Then you line up in a trick formation twice in the same series and surprise surprise the D didn't fall for it. And the constant 3rd and LONG screens. I get that you don't want to turnover the ball. But at some point when you have a QB who has for the most part played really well this year you have to go for it sometimes. I said this all last year Clark Hunt needs to hire a guy whos sole job is to stand on the sideline and smack Andy upside the head when he goes to far in the playcalling. This is still needed.

4. The Defense was pretty damn good tonight. A very nice bounce back from the last couple of games. They set the tone and really gave the offense so many chances to put that game away. This was much needed and I'm sure a nice shot in the arm after the way the last game ended. Marcus Peters had a pretty good night. Lets just hope they have gotten all the issues fixed and that we are going to see more of this going forward and it's not just they were against a bad Denver offense.

This is one of those games in which you just have to tell yourself that a W is a W. But man this team mad it hard on themselves tonight. Then again this is how many division games go and the Chiefs are tied for first in the AFC and have a nice lead in the west. The season is now half over and the Chiefs are on pace to win 12 games. But this game shows they still have work to do they have a bye week coming after this next game. And hey having work to do isn't that much of a bad thing. Lets hope they get it done this time GO CHIEFS
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    1. A W is a W and it's always nice to get the W even nicer when it's against the Donkeys. But a thought hit me while watching this game. This team lacks a killer instinct. This is the same trend that we have seen for a LONG LONG time. They had many many chances to put that game away but failed to do so by making unforced mistakes. A missed throw or a drop. It was the Chiefs stopping the Chiefs this is alarming since it's been the thing holding this team back in the post season for years. There is still time to work on it. But they have to learn to GO FOR THE KILL when you have the chance.

2. Alex did not have his best game. Missed a number of throws and had a couple of miscommunications not to mention the fumble. He went almost half the season before his first turnover of the year so you can't be to mad about that fumble. But again this is a trait we have seen before. You have to give some of the credit to the Denver D. But the missed throws have to be fixed. Those are unforced errors and they will get you beat if they are not fixed.

3. PLAYCALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again this is another thing that has been a bug for years. The redzone trick play really allowed them to stay in this game. Then you line up in a trick formation twice in the same series and surprise surprise the D didn't fall for it. And the constant 3rd and LONG screens. I get that you don't want to turnover the ball. But at some point when you have a QB who has for the most part played really well this year you have to go for it sometimes. I said this all last year Clark Hunt needs to hire a guy whos sole job is to stand on the sideline and smack Andy upside the head when he goes to far in the playcalling. This is still needed.

4. The Defense was pretty damn good tonight. A very nice bounce back from the last couple of games. They set the tone and really gave the offense so many chances to put that game away. This was much needed and I'm sure a nice shot in the arm after the way the last game ended. Marcus Peters had a pretty good night. Lets just hope they have gotten all the issues fixed and that we are going to see more of this going forward and it's not just they were against a bad Denver offense.

This is one of those games in which you just have to tell yourself that a W is a W. But man this team mad it hard on themselves tonight. Then again this is how many division games go and the Chiefs are tied for first in the AFC and have a nice lead in the west. The season is now half over and the Chiefs are on pace to win 12 games. But this game shows they still have work to do they have a bye week coming after this next game. And hey having work to do isn't that much of a bad thing. Lets hope they get it done this time GO CHIEFS
    #1) Yup....a Win is a Win. Lack of killer instinct and failure to put a game away when we have the chance. You're right about that too. But yes, when you have your bayonet at the enemy's throat you stab the little bastid....repeatedly. You don't set him free to fight another day.

#2) Alex....I don't know what went wrong with him about 2/3 of the way through the 2cond quarter. I haven't checked but overall I suspect that this was his worst game stat-wide of the season. Not terribly surprising given that the Broncos have a great Defense but I'd like to know what turned his switch off.

#3) Playcalling.....Y'know, there is not a game that goes by that we don't slap our heads and say WTF ANDY! But after going 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4 I'm just not going to second guess him too much. It's sort of like his trick plays like "hungry pig right"....When it works we swear he is a genius. When it doesn't we swear he is an idiot. But coming from a sales background I don't care much about methods I care more about results. Just as an aside, is it maybe just possible that Reid's protege at OC (Peterson) has taken the Eagles from joke to respectable because he learned from Reid? Just a thought.

#4) The D IMO did OK, but nothing like they have been the last 4 years. But we have to face the fact that they did OK against a CRAP offense. I'll believe they are back when they consistently start holding enemy teams to an average of 15 points. Tonight was an encouraging performance by our Defense, but if we want to be taken as a serious contender out Defense will have to do A LOT BETTER. We are really missing Eric Berry.

Summary....Halfway through the season we're 3 games ahead of the Raiders and Chargers and 2 1/2 games ahead of the Broncos. We CONTROL the AFC West. That is OUTSTANDING! But the hand on the whip that drives the peasants before us seems weak. And that goes back to you questioning the "killer instinct". We've got our boots on their throats and our bayonets on their chests. DON'T LET THEM UP! Just kill them. We MUST win the rest of our AFC West games. If we do, we'll go 12-4 and and win the West again. And once we are in the playoffs ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    #2) Alex....I don't know what went wrong with him about 2/3 of the way through the 2cond quarter. I haven't checked but overall I suspect that this was his worst game stat-wide of the season. Not terribly surprising given that the Broncos have a great Defense but I'd like to know what turned his switch off.
    It by far was his worst game this year. Coming off a great game for him against Oakland. I don't know what was off and it t wasn't all Alex there were a couple of drops that would have made it look a whole lot better. But it's a concern.

#3) Playcalling.....Y'know, there is not a game that goes by that we don't slap our heads and say WTF ANDY! But after going 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4 I'm just not going to second guess him too much. It's sort of like his trick plays like "hungry pig right"....When it works we swear he is a genius. When it doesn't we swear he is an idiot. But coming from a sales background I don't care much about methods I care more about results. Just as an aside, is it maybe just possible that Reid's protege at OC (Peterson) has taken the Eagles from joke to respectable because he learned from Reid? Just a thought.
    My whole thing is an old saying. If you don't learn from the past you are doomed to repeat it.These are all mistakes that have been made a number of times before. Tonight they showed up again. There's a time and a place to get cute on offense. Think back to last year the Poe TD pass. That was late in the game and the game was well in hand at that point. The risk was very low. Tonight the 1st quarter a real chance to put them in a bad spot and you try that. The risk was far to high and it very well could have been a game changer. I wouldn't be as worried about this issue if the mistakes were things we haven't seen before but as you noted we have. There comes a time when you have to ask if this will ever be fixed
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

It by far was his worst game this year. Coming off a great game for him against Oakland. I don't know what was off and it t wasn't all Alex there were a couple of drops that would have made it look a whole lot better. But it's a concern.
    Yep. Worrisome. If we are going to be serious contenders this year (and I think we can be) we need the "other Alex" not the one we saw for 2+ quarters tonight. But I'm not goung to get too worried. We were after all facing one of the best Defenses in the NFL and we still managed to get the W---fairly convincingly according to the scoreboard.

My whole thing is an old saying. If you don't learn from the past you are doomed to repeat it.These are all mistakes that have been made a number of times before. Tonight they showed up again. There's a time and a place to get cute on offense. Think back to last year the Poe TD pass. That was late in the game and the game was well in hand at that point. The risk was very low. Tonight the 1st quarter a real chance to put them in a bad spot and you try that. The risk was far to high and it very well could have been a game changer. I wouldn't be as worried about this issue if the mistakes were things we haven't seen before but as you noted we have. There comes a time when you have to ask if this will ever be fixed
    I understand your point entirely. But indulge me for a moment if you will. This was a HUGE game. The chance to to seize complete control of the AFC West. We were up by 14. Another TD would have CRUSHED the Broncos. The game would have been OVER. Reid reasonably figured the worst that happens is an incomplete pass and a FG. Best case the Broncos are on the ropes down 21-0 and now they're running game is gone because they are forced to pass on every down to try to catch up. Siemian? Passing on every down against a Chiefs Defense that knows he is going to be passing? Game over. I think it was a good risk because it might have ended the game right there. But instead of of a TD or an incomplete pass, the unthinkable happened and the pass got picked off. Sometimes poop happens. But I think it was a good call. 50% chance of the TD that effectively ends the game. 49% chance the pass is incomplete and we kick an easy FG. 1% chance (at most) of an INT. The odds were (IMO) good. With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight and Monday Morning Quarterbacking I think it was a good sound gamble. Cut the enemy throat right there and then and be done with it. And if the unthinkable happens you are still up 14-0 early in the game. I like the call. Hate the way it turned out, but despite what could have been a back-breaker we still pulled out the win. So I have no problem with Reid's "trick play" and I applaud his desire to kill the enemy early and quickly. I think the risk was worth the potential payoff. No offense intended, but that's just the way I see it.

I understand your point entirely. But indulge me for a moment if you will. This was a HUGE game. The chance to to seize complete control of the AFC West. We were up by 14. Another TD would have CRUSHED the Broncos. The game would have been OVER. Reid reasonably figured the worst that happens is an incomplete pass and a FG. Best case the Broncos are on the ropes down 21-0 and now they're running game is gone because they are forced to pass on every down to try to catch up. Siemian? Passing on every down against a Chiefs Defense that knows he is going to be passing? Game over. I think it was a good risk because it might have ended the game right there. But instead of of a TD or an incomplete pass, the unthinkable happened and the pass got picked off. Sometimes poop happens. But I think it was a good call. 50% chance of the TD that effectively ends the game. 49% chance the pass is incomplete and we kick an easy FG. 1% chance (at most) of an INT. The odds were (IMO) good. With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight and Monday Morning Quarterbacking I think it was a good sound gamble. Cut the enemy throat right there and then and be done with it. And if the unthinkable happens you are still up 14-0 early in the game. I like the call. Hate the way it turned out, but despite what could have been a back-breaker we still pulled out the win. So I have no problem with Reid's "trick play" and I applaud his desire to kill the enemy early and quickly. I think the risk was worth the potential payoff. No offense intended, but that's just the way I see it.
    No offense? YOU HAVE DISAGREED WITH THE ALL KNOWING AND ALL POWERFUL MATTHEWSCHIEFS. YOU ARE TO CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY THAT I HAVE ALLOWED YOU TO CONTINUE TO EXIST AFTER THIS.

Ok all jokes aside I understand your point. I would just like to see them PUT THE GAME AWAY then they can get cute. You have a QB that is playing at a top level why take the ball out of his hands? I just thought it was a little to cute for the time of the game. Not to mention that if John Gruden could see it coming before the snap as he said on the broadcast watch for the hb pass before the snap I'm sure they saw it coming as well.

Andy Reid is a great Head coach. He can put together a gameplan to win any game. His weak point at time is knowing the feel and time of the game. And that IMO showed last night with some of his play calls
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Numbers 1 through 3 I totally agree with; couldn't have said it better even if I had the ability to do so. I agree with number 4 to a point, but fear that we were able to have an above average game due to a bit of an inept donkey offense. I remember several plays where our defense was just plain lucky. We can't continue to rely on luck.

No offense? YOU HAVE DISAGREED WITH THE ALL KNOWING AND ALL POWERFUL MATTHEWSCHIEFS. YOU ARE TO CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY THAT I HAVE ALLOWED YOU TO CONTINUE TO EXIST AFTER THIS.

Ok all jokes aside I understand your point. I would just like to see them PUT THE GAME AWAY then they can get cute. You have a QB that is playing at a top level why take the ball out of his hands? I just thought it was a little to cute for the time of the game. Not to mention that if John Gruden could see it coming before the snap as he said on the broadcast watch for the hb pass before the snap I'm sure they saw it coming as well.

Andy Reid is a great Head coach. He can put together a gameplan to win any game. His weak point at time is knowing the feel and time of the game. And that IMO showed last night with some of his play calls
    BIG GRINS! Thank you for properly chastising me! :)

Agree with you 100% on the frustration of our not being able close the deal early when we had the chance. JEEZ! The second, third and most of the 4th quarter aggravated my ulcer from here to hell and back again.

As to Crazy Andy....yeah...there are times when he makes me want to bang my head against a wall. But as you say he is a damned good coach.....but he surely has his faults. But IMO the best coach we've had in a long time. His record is getting close (if it isn't already there) to being the best winning percentage of any Chiefs coach in Chiefs history. For better or for worse, he now is pretty much in total control. He did that before in Philly and it didn't work out so well....I'm hoping he learned from his mistakes there when it comes to control.

We'll all agree I'm sure that Reid's play-calling is sometimes AT BEST baffling. But like I've said, I come from a sales background and so my primary concern is results. And I can't place too much fault on the results so far. Yeah...the playoffs haven't worked out too well so far, but I remember a time when all of us here were wishing for the Marty days and he never won a playoff game without Montana or Marcus Allen. Despite his faults, Reid is a damned fine coach. And just as an aside....we all know that if he wins a Super Bowl he'll wind up in HOF based on his overall winning percentage and having finally won a Super Bowl. And I kinda suspect he wants that Super Bowl as much as any of us. I like Andy....warts and all.

Just thoughts now that a couple of days have gone by....

Yeah....we had them by the short hairs and we let them back in the game.

Yeah....5 field goals. Once we get inside the enemy 40 yard line we have to do better than that. Gotta get at least 50% TDs when we get inside the 35.

Yeah.....our Offense only scored 1 TD.

Yeah....Alex didn't have the kind of game we've come to expect from him this year.

Yeah....our Defense was not what we've come to expect the last few years.

I think I have covered most of the bad stuff.

BUT IT AIN'T ALL BAD!

We BEAT THE DAMNED BRONCOS!

The kicker we snatched off the Panthers practice squad made all 5 FG attempts including a 51 yarder.

We beat our closest division rival!

We have a 2 1/2 game lead over the Broncos!

We have a 3 game lead over the DAMNED Raiders and the Chargers!

WE CONTROL THE AFC WEST! We are in control!

We're 6-2 at the halfway point!

We're going to win the West AGAIN! When was the last time we did that 2 years in a row?

It's a good time to be a Chiefs fan! Just 5 years ago we had 2012. Airplanes over Arrowhead demanding the QB and GM be fired. Player suicide in the parking lot. 2-14.

Since then we've never had a losing season!

We've made the playoffs 3 years out of 4 and will again!

We won the division championship in 2016 when all the "experts" said the AFC West was the best division in the NFL.

We have a Head Coach who wants to win a Super Bowl more than I want to bang a "super model".

Gentlemen.....It's a GREAT time to be a Chiefs fan!

I agree. It is a great time to be a Chiefs fan. And it's fun to watch a potent offense. Reminds me of the Green/Holmes/Hall/Gonzales 13-3 seasons. But don't forget, we have been one and out playoff teams regardless of whether our offense or defense had carried us to those 13-3 and 12-4 seasons. Sure, we will likely win the division and perhaps get a playoff bye. But it ain't enough my friends. Ain't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by NJChiefs View Post
    I agree. It is a great time to be a Chiefs fan. And it's fun to watch a potent offense. Reminds me of the Green/Holmes/Hall/Gonzales 13-3 seasons. But don't forget, we have been one and out playoff teams regardless of whether our offense or defense had carried us to those 13-3 and 12-4 seasons. Sure, we will likely win the division and perhaps get a playoff bye. But it ain't enough my friends. Ain't enough.
    Jersey....Of course it's not enough! We all want the BIG ENCHILADA! And I suspect Reid wants it more than any of us. If you look at his career as a coach he'd be a shoo-in for the HOF if he wins a Super Bowl. And he's tasted the Super Bowl before. Lost it by a whisker. HE WANTS IT! And he is going to get us one.

But y'know after so many years of nothing but frustration and sadness I am really enjoying the ride. For the first time since we got Montana it's really fun being a Chiefs fan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast