Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The case against Andy Reid

Default The case against Andy Reid

I'm going to start by saying that Andy Reid was the right hire for the Chiefs in 2013. And he deserves a lot of credit for how far this team has come since the time he was hired. That was then and this is now. And now this team needs to move away from Andy Reid. Some feel that this is an overreaction so let me lay out my case in full.

Charge #1 PLAYCALLING!!!! This is something I think that we have all been frustrated with time and time again over the past few years. I know that I have been harping on this for years now. In postgame after postgame loss pressers, he has said over and over again that he has to do a better job in that. And yet the following week we see the SAME thing. Does he really recognize the problem? Or can he just not stop himself from running the failed plays? Either way, it has been something that has haunted him his entire NFL head coaching career. And if he hasn't learned in what is now 20 seasons will he ever? Yesterday it was reported he was giving up the duties but still overseeing the offense. And for the most part, the offense REALLY went well. But then like normal Andy just couldn't help himself. You have a defense that is struggling the ball and a 3rd and 1 you take out one of the best TEs in the NFL and call a play to get an O-linemen the ball? Surprise surprise it failed. Some might question if Andy called the play or Naggy? At the end of the day, Andy is the head coach and has the final call regardless. He just couldn't help himself one way or the other he allowed it to happen.

Charge #2 Discipline. We have seen this really stick out this season. Kelce has had a couple of them already and Peters did yesterday. We saw it some last season as well. You are damn right that you can put a lot of the blame for the guys losing their cool. But when you have so many cases of this it stands out. And as a head coach, it's your job to get this fixed. He hasn't. You can tell a lot about a coach by the discipline that his team has. And in this area, we have seen some very lackluster times. Between just bad penalties or plays losing it on the field, they don't have the discipline of a championship team.

Charge #3 Clock management. Like charge 1 this has been something that has haunted Andy his entire head coaching career. It is not quite at the level as the playcalling issue. But like the playcalling issue, I think this has been something that has left us all frustrated from time to time. While I can't point to one big thing in this regard relating to yesterdays game I can recall the time it bugged me the most. Going back to the playoff loss to the Pats. Late in the game Chiefs have the ball clock ticking way too much camera shows Andy just shaking his head. Doing nothing about it. And that time would come back to haunt the Chiefs in that playoff loss.

I'm not going to even pretend to say the Andy Reid shouldn't be an NFL head coach. If you are a team that is in need of being turned around then he is without a doubt a very good option to bring in to get things started. He is deserving of being one of the 32 guys that are an NFL head coach. But you are not going to get a championship level with him. He lacks the ability to fix the weakness in his teams. As I stated at the start he was the right hire for the position the Chiefs were in at that time. But now is the time it's time to move on. He has gone as far as he will go. It's time to move on from Andy Reid IMO If he could fix these issues I think he would have in the 20 years he has been an NFL coach.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I wasn't making an analogy about any position just a mindset

The mindset of well we had worse so we should stick with Reid just doesn't make sense to me. We have had worse and yes it would be a risk to make the move. But it was a risk to move on from Alex with a unproven QB. Sometimes that risk can pay off.
    See my previous post, Matt. The Chiefs already have a HC candidate in place -- Eric Bieniemy. I do think he has the potential to be better than Reid. It could be that Eric Bieniemy didn't accept any HC position elsewhere because he could be Reid's successor, here. Andy is getting up there in years (60) and who knows how much longer he may want to continue.

I wasn't making an analogy about any position just a mindset

The mindset of well we had worse so we should stick with Reid just doesn't make sense to me. We have had worse and yes it would be a risk to make the move. But it was a risk to move on from Alex with a unproven QB. Sometimes that risk can pay off.
    I guess the difference here, is that I still have confidence with Andy. I never really did with Alex. So the mindset to move on, was more obvious. We just lost in the play offs, in overtime, where a stupid penalty would have taken us there. I still believe Andy can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I guess the difference here, is that I still have confidence with Andy. I never really did with Alex. So the mindset to move on, was more obvious. We just lost in the play offs, in overtime, where a stupid penalty would have taken us there. I still believe Andy can do it.
    If it were not for the fact we got off to as bad of a start I don't think that stupid penalty would have been what held us back. I just can't get over how unready we were to play in the biggest game of the season. AT HOME.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

If it were not for the fact we got off to as bad of a start I don't think that stupid penalty would have been what held us back. I just can't get over how unready we were to play in the biggest game of the season. AT HOME.
    You speak for me, as well, regarding that matter. When you get this chance that the Chiefs had last Sunday, you have to be READY & you have to be PREPARED, and they did not get it done. That does fall on Andy Reid. There seemingly was NO plan of attack on either side of the ball & you can't wait until half-time to decide to get into a game of this magnitude.

Yeah, I made the comment in the game day thread that And was being clowned. That is exactly what happened the last time we played them. Andy made adjustments on Offense and we stormed back. The Defense. Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Yeah, I made the comment in the game day thread that And was being clowned. That is exactly what happened the last time we played them. Andy made adjustments on Offense and we stormed back. The Defense. Not so much.
    This is why I don't expect for anything to change this has happened throughout Reid's career and he hasn't learned. I just can't expect it to change now. He's not going anywhere anytime soon. But I really think that it's time to move on
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

This is why I don't expect for anything to change this has happened throughout Reid's career and he hasn't learned. I just can't expect it to change now. He's not going anywhere anytime soon. But I really think that it's time to move on
    I'll go out on the limb here & say that he a has a 2-3 year window to get this team a SB trophy, or else a change might very well be made. It still disgusts me that this team wasn't better prepared & more ready for the AFCG & how do we know if we'll ever get this opportunity again? Each season is a different entity, although 50 years ago, the 1969 season did seem very much like an extension of the 1968 season with just a few changes between those seasons. Maybe history will repeat itself. Time will tell.

All I know is I’m thankful Reid recognizes that we needed to get rid of Sutton. You need to understand that Reid is a quality guy that players and coaches love to work under and his leadership role in discipline will never change due to that fact. He’s not hard enough on the people beneath him like a boss should be. That’s not a bad thing necessarily. Our chiefs are being treated fairly and equAlly. Even Brady has publicly said he doesn’t like Billachick and how he treats the players. But that’s what gets you rings. Jim Harbough would be an excellent replacement to get us to a SB but our players would become disgruntled and no longer wish to play for us. Who wants to win a SB and then watch Mahomes walk away? That’s what would happen IMO

we’re close and I want to see Reid get his SB win WITH us! Switching up the defense who was the weak link this year shows he’s doing all he knows how. Give the guy a break and let’s give him another shot before we scream to replace Reid

Time to bump this again

Todays game was a game we saw many times during the Alex Smith era. We score points early then go the rest of the game scoring very little. 17 points in the first then 7 the rest of the game. People blamed Alex Smith for this stuff. But we are still seeing it with an MVP level QB. That's on Andy Reid.

His stubbornness is why this team IMO isn't going to win a title. He continues to refuse to do something as little as try to run the damn ball when you have a qb who is hobbled. Mccoy getting over 5 YPC only gets 8 carries after not getting 1 last week. Both resulting in losses. You just can't count on Andy Reid to do anything more then what he has always done.

This pass happy is why sometimes the T.O.P gets so lopsided. But you can count on one thing It's not going to change. As I have said many times Andy Reid doesn't learn. Today was another game in the case against Reid.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Time to bump this again

Todays game was a game we saw many times during the Alex Smith era. We score points early then go the rest of the game scoring very little. 17 points in the first then 7 the rest of the game. People blamed Alex Smith for this stuff. But we are still seeing it with an MVP level QB. That's on Andy Reid.

His stubbornness is why this team IMO isn't going to win a title. He continues to refuse to do something as little as try to run the damn ball when you have a qb who is hobbled. Mccoy getting over 5 YPC only gets 8 carries after not getting 1 last week. Both resulting in losses. You just can't count on Andy Reid to do anything more then what he has always done.

This pass happy is why sometimes the T.O.P gets so lopsided. But you can count on one thing It's not going to change. As I have said many times Andy Reid doesn't learn. Today was another game in the case against Reid.
    Andy Reid doesnt k ow how to cover for our bad defense. You basically run the ball and eat up the clock and keep your defense on the sideline. Passing all the time only works when your score all the time but we're not scoring all the time. That puts our defense in a bad spot.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast