Thread: Former Chiefs GM Dorsey spells it out for Cleveland

Default Former Chiefs GM Dorsey spells it out for Cleveland

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...t-real-players

Browns GM Dorsey: Prior regime didn't get real players

Print

• By Kevin Patra
    • Around the NFL writer
    • Published: Dec. 14, 2017 at 12:05 p.m.
    • Updated: Dec. 15, 2017 at 02:06 a.m.

John Dorsey has been on the job in Cleveland less than a week, but the Browns new GM already made sweeping conclusions about the performance of Sashi Brown and the previous regime.
    "You know what? You've got to get (Hue Jackson) players,'' Dorsey told 850 WKNR-AM on Thursday, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. "And you know what? I'll come straight out with it. The guys who were here before, that system, they didn't get real players.''
    Dorsey made it clear he believes the Browns lacked a strong personnel man to collect Hue Jackson winning players and the new GM backed the coach with a 1-28 record.
    "As Bill Parcells would always say, 'you are your record' and you know what? There it is, so that's the truth-teller in this thing,'' Dorsey said. "And I'm going to do my darnedest to get Hue (Jackson) players.
    "And that's all I can ask for, and that's all I'm going to do. I like the man.''
    In Dorsey's view Sashi Brown might not have collected enough talent to win in the short term, but the former GM left Cleveland with a treasure trove of draft capital, including five picks in the first two rounds of the 2018 NFL Draft. It's Dorsey's job to turn those picks into winning players.
    "Let's be real we're 0-13, okay?'' he said. "So let's get this thing rolling. The only way to do that is to start to build this thing.''

He was never that openly honest in KC. I always thought he was very reserved with beat around the bush answers.

However, I thought he did great scouting players but as the Chiefs go on. I start to question it.

Dorset was solid for us if he was truly the man with the pull on draft day. Hill Peters Jones hunt all solid draft picks

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    Dorset was solid for us if he was truly the man with the pull on draft day. Hill Peters Jones hunt all solid draft picks
    Kelce as well. He had some misses but he also had a good amount of hits int he draft
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    And there is the question none of us really know the answer to....."Who's finger was it on the trigger on draft day?" Let's remember that when Reid was first hired he was supposed to be in charge of all football operations....just as he was in Philly. Essentially HC and GM. But after Dorsey was hired Reid became simply HC. I've always wondered if when it came to the draft maybe Dorsey didn't find the targets but Reid maybe decided which ones to pull the trigger on. Something I will probably never know.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    And there is the question none of us really know the answer to....."Who's finger was it on the trigger on draft day?" Let's remember that when Reid was first hired he was supposed to be in charge of all football operations....just as he was in Philly. Essentially HC and GM. But after Dorsey was hired Reid became simply HC. I've always wondered if when it came to the draft maybe Dorsey didn't find the targets but Reid maybe decided which ones to pull the trigger on. Something I will probably never know.
    That's the first I heard of that...What I do remember was once Dorsey was hired, Hunt stated that both Reid and Dorsey reported to him, unlike what happened with Carl Peterson or Scott Pioli where the GM was given complete control of the team.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    That's the first I heard of that...What I do remember was once Dorsey was hired, Hunt stated that both Reid and Dorsey reported to him, unlike what happened with Carl Peterson or Scott Pioli where the GM was given complete control of the team.
    Eydugstr....

I have seen that several times (perhaps 3-4). I can't recall where and I can't remember what the sources were so I can't post a link and I can't think of the right combination of words for a google search that would make a link easy to find. So I'll simply have to hope you will take my word that I have seen it. The sources may have been bad (after all I saw them on the 'net :) ), but I assure you I am not making it up. But I think the concept is logical. Hunt WANTED REID, made him one of the highest paid Head Coaches in the NFL so why wouldn't he have offered Reid pretty much the same control he had in Philly if that is what he (Hunt) thought it would take to get Reid to sign on the dotted line? And the idea that Reid wanted the "both Reid and Dorsey reported to Hunt" system would also make some sense. Reid was giving up *some* authority to Dorsey but was retaining a direct line of contact to Hunt. In short, sort of a "shared" GM position. Reid wanted less work but almost equal authority to what he had in Philly. Anyway, I think all that makes some logical sense. In short, I think Reid wants a GM that does a lot of the work Reid doesn't want to do but that he (Reid) is either an equal or perhaps somewhat senior to. Do you think that makes any sense or am I perhaps barking up the wrong tree?

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Browns.
    That it WILL. I liked Dorsey and wasn't happy when he was fired but there is NO DOUBT he had some faults (it was after all his first job as a GM) so seeing how he does as GM of far and away the worst team in the last 18 years of the NFL will tell us A LOT.