Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So damned many GHOSTS.

Default So damned many GHOSTS.

So....the Dolphins on Christmas Eve. In KC. Chance to clinch the AFC West.

Anybody but me getting creepy-crawleys up your spine?

46 years ago. Last game at Municipal Stadium. Best kicker in the NFL misses two "gimmes". A running back tearing things up.

SO MANY GHOSTS.

Dawson, Taylor, Podolak, Stenerud and many others will be glued to the TV for this one. ESPECIALLY Stenerud. That game still haunts him just like it haunts me. At that time, as a 13 year old kid I IDOLIZED Stenerud. That game broke my heart....on Christmas Day.

I'm almost afraid to watch the game.

Time to break the curse!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Thanks dugstr....I guess. Still frikking HURTS. I was so damned mad at Stenerud then. Now I just hurt for him. Because here we are 46 years later and every Christmas he still gets asked about that game. And this Christmas Eve game must have his guts in knots....Put the ghosts to bed. Beat the Dolphins. Win the Super Bowl. Let all the great players from back then sleep well when their time comes.

C4L....Now you know what the Christmas eve game against Miami in KC means to us old farts.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCMASS View Post
    I'm almost 52 & the Miami game the crushed me was 1990 Wild Card game. Would should have had it. Dave Szott get's called for holding when Okoye rumbled closer to the goal line. Nick Lowery kick was dead-on but short buy about a foot. We've historically haven't done well with Miami.
    Ctc, KCMASS....If it makes you feel any better........October 13, 1991...The Chiefs spanked the 'phins to the tune of 42-7 at Arrowhead.

CT the title of your thread is perfect

I am to young to have the ghost that you have with the Dolphins I wasn't born until 84

But I have a number of those damn ghost myself.

#1. The FING COLTS My first football heart break came on a frozen field in a playoff game in which the Chiefs kicer missed 3 field goals in a 10-7 loss. I was 11 years old in tears. Follow up with 03 and the complete meltdown in the 2nd half in 14 the Colts haunt me big time.

#2 F THE DONKEYS. Let me be clear I have nothing but hate for the Jokeland Faiders. But my hate burns most for the Denver Donkeys. Watching the refs making them wipe the vaseline off their jerseys in a blatant cheat move. YOUR DAMN RIGHT I HATE THEM MORE THEN IT SHOULD BE LEGAL TO HATE A TEAM. I think this is common in Chiefs fans my age.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    All the Chiefs have to do is win one of the next two games, or a Chargers loss. We hold all tie breakers against the Chargers.
    So true. I feel fairly confident we'll win the division, but I would like to see us do it with a win over the Dolphins this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Thank you! Glad you liked it. There was no other way I could think of to describe what this game against the Dolphins means to me. Christmas, Dolphins in KC, Chiefs have a HOTSHOT kicker, and the playoffs are on the line. I don't scare too easy any more, but this game is just too damned much like that game on Christmas Day when I was 13. Sort of the equivalent of a HUGE game in the mid to late 90s for you.

I am to young to have the ghost that you have with the Dolphins I wasn't born until 84

#1. The FING COLTS My first football heart break came on a frozen field in a playoff game in which the Chiefs kicer missed 3 field goals in a 10-7 loss. I was 11 years old in tears. Follow up with 03 and the complete meltdown in the 2nd half in 14 the Colts haunt me big time.
    Yeah...The Colts have given us FITS in the playoffs. And that is made WORSE by Manning going to the Broncos. The 2013 playoffs especially bother me. And I want to see us settle that score one day. The time for that will come I'm sure. For me anyway though, the Dolphins are the here and now and it's Christmas! I almost feel like this was set up to scare the crap out of me.

Field goal kickers are a touchy subject with me. We have a long history of having some of the best kickers in the business and we also have a history of them letting us down when it mattered most. They are in a VERY TOUGH BUSINESS. People love them for years and then 1 or 2 missed kicks at the wrong moment and everybody hates them. Remember that kicker for the Bills who missed that FG against the Giants in the Super Bowl? I forget his name. Do you know what he was doing for work the next year? He was an assistant coach for a High School just a few miles down the road from me in Va. All because of 1 missed kick. TOUGH BUSINESS!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs;339565[/quote
    #2 F THE DONKEYS. Let me be clear I have nothing but hate for the Jokeland Faiders. But my hate burns most for the Denver Donkeys. Watching the refs making them wipe the vaseline off their jerseys in a blatant cheat move. YOUR DAMN RIGHT I HATE THEM MORE THEN IT SHOULD BE LEGAL TO HATE A TEAM. I think this is common in Chiefs fans my age.
    I hear you loud and clear! I never really hated the Broncos all that much until I started hanging out here and I'll never hate them as much as I do the Raiders, but that is just me hanging on to the days when Chiefs vs. Raiders was probably the best known rivalry in the NFL. But that is just an "age thing". The day will come when the Broncos go through a long period of being a crap team but you will still hate the Broncos then the way I hate the Raiders now even though at that time our real rival in the AFC West may be the Chargers or the Raiders. Old habits die hard...especially once you start to get "not so young" (my polite way of saying "getting old").

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    So....the Dolphins on Christmas Eve. In KC. Chance to clinch the AFC West.

Anybody but me getting creepy-crawleys up your spine?

46 years ago. Last game at Municipal Stadium. Best kicker in the NFL misses two "gimmes". A running back tearing things up.

SO MANY GHOSTS.

Dawson, Taylor, Podolak, Stenerud and many others will be glued to the TV for this one. ESPECIALLY Stenerud. That game still haunts him just like it haunts me. At that time, as a 13 year old kid I IDOLIZED Stenerud. That game broke my heart....on Christmas Day.

I'm almost afraid to watch the game.

(Warning incoming rant/fan vent)

As much as I should hate the Colts, I don't because those games were more about the things we didn't do as much as what they did. That '95 game was lost because of a lame kicker, drops, and changing to Gannon too late in the game. The '03 Playoff game was lost because our D forget to get to the stadium. The '06 playoff game (does anyone even think of that one??) was lost because our front office decided to call Herm Edwards a head coach. The '13 playoff game our D decided not to show up in second half, and the WR's started dropping the ball.

With that being said, the one thing about the '95 that still sticks in my mind is Jim Harbaugh jumping up and down like a spastic jerk after Lin Elliot's last missed FG. Never forgave Harbaugh for that one. Years later as SF's head coach he did the same thing in front of Lion's coach Jim Schwartz.

Really can't fully hate the Raiders, even though as a Chiefs fan guess I should. It's tough to hate something when laughing too hard. Never seen an organization that assembled so much talent (both players and coaches) and then turn around and figure out a way to screw it up. Let's call the '95 season (when they started 8-0, and finished 8-8) and the "Gruden Bowl" exhibit A for this argument. This years' Raiders are no exception. The teams' best running back ejected for running into a ref for defending an opposing teams' player, because you were related?? Really ?!?! Thanks for the entertainment, kiddie pirate crew.

The 'phins are also on my "strongly dislike" list. Especially when Marino was their QB and they got the golden-boy hall pass from the refs for years. It's not so much that way now, though. While I've seen the old clips of that '71 game, and that definitely ended an era with the Stram-era Chiefs, it also didn't help that the following year we put that (older) team into a stadium with astroturf (fake grass over a concrete base).

There's teams I dislike, then there's the Donkeys. The '97 playoff game is enough to induce vomiting. The refs handed that game to them on a silver platter. There should have been ejections over the vaseline bullcrud. The way that Elway took over Denver's local team, media & mindset, the salary cap violations, the way the team handled Dan Reeves...Yes, they've acquired some Lombardi trophies but look at how they got them.

The Steelers just released sack master James Harrison don't be surprised if we put a waiver claim in for him

I remember that Christmas Day game as if it were yesterday. Ten years old, watching the game sitting on my parents bed, getting called down for dinner with Chiefs up 10-0 at halftime thinking, we got this one. Stenerud, the Norwegian "soccer style" kicker muffing a chip shot. Podolak with a career game, over 300 total yards. Another Stenerud muff, then Yepremian putting the nail in the coffin. The longest game in NFL history. A heart breaker. Our Chiefs need to bury these ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by NJChiefs View Post
    I remember that Christmas Day game as if it were yesterday. Ten years old, watching the game sitting on my parents bed, getting called down for dinner with Chiefs up 10-0 at halftime thinking, we got this one. Stenerud, the Norwegian "soccer style" kicker muffing a chip shot. Podolak with a career game, over 300 total yards. Another Stenerud muff, then Yepremian putting the nail in the coffin. The longest game in NFL history. A heart breaker. Our Chiefs need to bury these ghosts.
    Put the ghosts to rest. May they be forgotten after today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12