Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alex Smith, coaching interviews and cap space speculation.

Default Alex Smith, coaching interviews and cap space speculation.

I 100% expect Alex will be gone next year. I've believed that for quite a while and I think we all do. I don't much like it but it is what it is. A lot of the reason he'll be gone is our cap situation. Therefore I enjoy idle speculation on ways that we might be able to keep him. After all, we don't appear to have an established backup to Mahomes and if there is anything we know it's that Reid likes to have an established veteran backup and in the past we have paid pretty good wages for one. Chase Daniel and Nick Foles. So I would like to see us at least make the effort to see if we can't find a way to keep Alex in a way that solves some of our cap problems. Will it happen? Probably not. But as we say in the sales business....you never know unless you at least give your best effort to close the deal.

Back in reality-land, the important question becomes what we are able to get in return for Alex. Every team knows damned well that Alex is going to end up available and that will suppress his market value since teams will be inclined to just wait for us to release him. But the better Alex does this year the more the chances that some team will cough up some draft picks to get him instead of getting into a bidding war once Alex becomes a free agent. So lets hope he can get us to a Super Bowl or at least the AFC Championship. I wonder if any team has ever released or traded a QB who has just taken his team to a Conference Championship or a Super Bowl? And I would damned near bet no team has ever traded or released a QB that has just won a Super Bowl.

It's an odd situation we are in and it will get weirder with every playoff game we win this year. One thing is for sure....with the Alex situation and all the teams that are looking to poach our coordinators this will be an interesting off-season. The Bears have already asked permission to interview Nagy for their head coach position and we can probably expect to see requests to interview Toub and maybe Sutton. The immediate post-season is likely to be a roller-coaster the results of which will leave many of us worried, but after all the crazy stuff that happened last year (release of JC, Poe and Maclin) plus the firing of Dorsey I think we will be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    No. That would be too logical!

My guess is that Nagy will go to a team that has a better chance of winning next year than the Bears. I would hate for the Chiefs to lose either Matt or Dave but if one of them go to the Bears that would ease my pain, somewhat.

As for Alex, Unlike the Chiefs, the Bears have already made the transition to their QBOTF, Mitch Trubisky. I don't see any way they would move him back down to 2nd string and bring in another veteran to replace him. Mike Glennon was supposed to be their QB this year before injuries torpedoed any chance they had of having a decent season. Like Smith, Glennon still has one more year on his contract, so the Bears have to figure out what they are going to do with him, as well. Once they find a new coaching staff, their focus will be on getting Mitch some guys he can throw the ball to.
    Thanks TopekaRoy...As you can see, I'm a Chiefs fan, not so much a football fan so I don't know much about what goes on outside the AFC West. Thank you for pointing out why my idea won't happen. I'm no Bears fan, but back in the 80s my neighbor was and we always watched football together on Sunday and Monday nights so I have at least a small soft spot in my heart for the Bears. Those were good times for both him and myself. We had a lot of fun together. So the Bears bring back happy memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    My observation is coaches follow GM's, and players follow coaches.
    That is a real good observation. You crystalized it right down to a diamond. WELL DONE! I have always understood the concept, but I could never boil it down to 10 words like you did. Thank you.

If Nagy or Childress go to Cleveland to follow Dorsey, that's the likely landing spot for Alex Smith.
    That seems unlikely IMO since it seems fairly clear that Hue Jackson will be the Browns coach for another year so I don't see Nagy or Childress going to Cleveland. Why would either make a lateral move to the Browns of all places?

What we need right now is draft picks to build some more pieces around Mahomes down the round, and Cleveland would have them in abundance.
    Exactly right about the draft picks. We need to recoup some of what we gave up to get Mahomes. And certainly the Browns have the picks to trade. But with Nagy and Childress unlikely IMO to replace Jackson this year would Dorsey dictate that they go after Smith? Color me stupid if you will, but with Jackson staying for another year I see the chances of Alex going to the Brown as substantially decreased. At this point I'm seeing the Bills as the more likely landing zone for Alex....especially since the Bills just made the playoffs for the first time in 18 years with two nothing QBs. They are going to lose to the Jaguars, but with Alex I think they could be a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    That seems unlikely IMO since it seems fairly clear that Hue Jackson will be the Browns coach for another year so I don't see Nagy or Childress going to Cleveland. Why would either make a lateral move to the Browns of all places?
    That's the trick of this situation. Hue Jackson might be viewed as a coach with a lot of down the road potential but could use some experienced assistant coaches to help him out (Similar to what happened with Todd Haley when we brought in Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel.) As for why they would make a lateral move...Money talks, and Dorsey might be having them waiting in the wings just in case Hue Jackson doesn't work out.

That's the trick of this situation. Hue Jackson might be viewed as a coach with a lot of down the road potential but could use some experienced assistant coaches to help him out (Similar to what happened with Todd Haley when we brought in Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel.) As for why they would make a lateral move...Money talks, and Dorsey might be having them waiting in the wings just in case Hue Jackson doesn't work out.
    An interesting thought. But I have a hard time imagining either Nagy or Childress leaving the Chiefs in a lateral move to a dumpster fire like the Browns simply for a bigger paycheck....especially Nagy who IMO will certainly be a HC somewhere in either 2018 or 2019.
    Think of it this way....say one of them follows your lateral move scenario and the Browns continue to suck. Well that would put a big damper on talk of either of them becoming a HC. So they would be risking going from a hot prospect to being cold as an ice cube. That's a big risk to take for just a few $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Just so. Keeping Alex ain't-a-gonna happen but if lightning strikes and we do keep him I'd be thrilled. As an aside TopekaRoy.......if your Bears hire Nagy are you expecting the Bears to try to grab Smith as well?
    The bears wouldn't go for Smith They just drafted a QB 2nd overall
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12