Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Down conversions.

Default 3rd Down conversions.

How can we fix this problem?

Do you think this is the number one issue with offensive output this season?

This is an excerpt discussing the issue of how the Defensive penalties by the Packers helped our offense.

Here's what happened on each of the five 3rd downs the Chiefs had in the first half:
    • 3rd and 3 - Huard sacked for -5 yards
    • 3rd and 5 - Huard sacked for -4 yards
    • 3rd and 6 - False start on RT Chris Terry (bailed out on the next play by defensive holding)
    • 3rd and 11 - First down via defensive holding
    • 3rd and 13 - Incomplete to Tony Gonzalez
    • 3rd and 5 - Huard sacked for -8 yards
    • 3rd and 7 - Incomplete pass to Jeff Webb
    http://www.arrowheadpride.com/story/2007/11/5/93641/3031
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Well, look at Herms track record for drafting offensive lineman!!!! Was that just an oversite on CP's end? He's been there for 19 years! I think he knew we needed O lineman even if Herm didn't think we did!
    Agreed. I wouldn't say that CP should be let off the hook for that one, but more that Herm is the one with a general lack of concern for offensive line needs.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I certainly do not blame LJ for trying to get the money. I blame the Chiefs for giving it to him. I also don't blame him for the lack in production. I blame Herm for not addressing the needs of the offensive line.

But I don't credit LJ with knowing that he was going to struggle like he has this season. I remember, during the preseason, while Bennett and Smith were carrying the load, LJ telling the offensive line that those guys don't understand how to follow their blocks, but that he would be there soon. Meaning that I think he honestly believed that he was what was missing from the running game.

Never would I blame a guy for that. But if you do sponge-up all of the money, then you can expect to get a less expensive bunch of "help". Still no excuse for the organizations mistakes though.
    As I've said in the past. There were FA lineman out there that we didn't even give a look at! I also believe we were still under the cap at the beginning of the year. If that's the case, there is no excuse to not atleast take a look at a few guys.

Agreed. I wouldn't say that CP should be let off the hook for that one, but more that Herm is the one with a general lack of concern for offensive line needs.
    Who's running the organization here? Herm or CP? Clearly CP's fault especially when you have a first year coach with a limited amount of knowledge on YOUR organizations needs!

As I've said in the past. There were FA lineman out there that we didn't even give a look at! I also believe we were still under the cap at the beginning of the year. If that's the case, there is no excuse to not atleast take a look at a few guys.
    But if your head coach says that he has what he needs, then do you go ahead and trust him?

But if your head coach says that he has what he needs, then do you go ahead and trust him?
    Not if I know that our #1 player and the main piece of our offense depends on an O line! Never! Like I said, Herms record shows what he does and more importantly doesn't do.

Not if I know that our #1 player and the main piece of our offense depends on an O line! Never! Like I said, Herms record shows what he does and more importantly doesn't do.
    Look, you feel free to blame CP if you want. I don't care. But Herm Edwards is supposed to be "the great talent evaluator" and Carl is the money man. I refuse to blame Herms talent evaluation on someone else.

If you expect the GM to do the head coaches job, then why not just give that title to the GM?

Look, you feel free to blame CP if you want. I don't care. But Herm Edwards is supposed to be "the great talent evaluator" and Carl is the money man. I refuse to blame Herms talent evaluation on someone else.

If you expect the GM to do the head coaches job, then why not just give that title to the GM?
    You have said many times that Herm has NEVER paid any attention to the O line. How do you as a GM,( who has been in the league for 30 years and knows a little about football and talent ) not make it crystal clear to your coach that the offense must have a line to be productive? By the way, if the Chiefs some how end up winning the division, he will be in the running for coach of the year.

And the President of the U.S.A..
    The only Racing Team that matters-HENDRICK MotorSports. 24\48\88\5.. I need another! :please: :
    I'm out..

1 Free "Get Out Of Mancard Violation" earned by braving The Black Hole as The Chiefs redeemed themselves.

You have said many times that Herm has NEVER paid any attention to the O line. How do you as a GM,( who has been in the league for 30 years and knows a little about football and talent ) not make it crystal clear to your coach that the offense must have a line to be productive? By the way, if the Chiefs some how end up winning the division, he will be in the running for coach of the year.

That's a big responsibility to lay on the shoulders of a guy who is supposed to be basically a money man. I think that he gets alot of blame for things that aren't his responsibility though.

Choosing the players that your team needs is really a head coaches job. But I will glady grant you that CP should have been aware of the O-line situation, and made it clear to the head coach, as well.

I, however, will lay the brundt of that blame suarely on Herms shoulders.

What you do is not hire the guy in the first place!

So it is still CPs fault ultimately!
    Last edited by hermhater; 11-10-2007 at 02:13 PM.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast