Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post season New Year same Ending #FIREANDY

Default Post season New Year same Ending #FIREANDY

Another season has come and broken our hearts. The term forward progress will trigger me for a while. But after a couple of days, I think we can talk about the season.

To me, our season can be summed up in one word. INCONSISTENT

Offense The bookends of our season the offense was at the top of their game. Hot start hot finish the middle was lackluster, to say the least. And that carried over to the playoff game. Hot start then faltered. What makes this even more frustrating we made changes by the end of the year. But in the playoff game, Andy Reid couldn't help himself a hot start then the return to the screens and ignore the NFL RUSHING CHAMPION. The players have shown they can be a VERY hard offense to stop the coaching showed that it couldn't stay out of the way. That is what makes the end all the more frustrating.

Defense. Like the offense INCONSISTENT. You never knew what D was going to take the field. Yes, they had some injuries. But there were weeks they were still able to give us a chance to win the football game. There were others when you couldn't even tell that we fielded a defense. While I don't really think there is any chance that Andy gets fired I think we have seen the last of Bob Sutton in KC. Hopefully, this will be of help to the defense. There are some very talented players on the defense that just did not play up to their talent level much of the season and for that, I have to think that the coaching wasn't where it needed to be.

Overall there were many causes of death for this years team. But mainly stubbornness. Stubbornness to change what wasn't working and hasn't worked for 5 years. This is one of the most frustrating ends to a season that I have seen yet. And seeing that we won't be making a head coaching change I just can't say that I expect any different next season. Overall IMO Andy Reid being Andy Ried is the cause of death.

All that being said there is still the excitement of a top-level potential franchise QB. To see him develop will be very fun. And worth the watch. And while as frustrated as I am with this team I still can't wait to see next season. GO CHIEFS
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    We can complain about playcalling all we want, but the reality is that we didn’t run that many plays in the 2nd half. Because we couldn’t stop the run. We lost this playoff game for the same reason we lost last year’s playoff game. We were giving up 6+ yards per carry.
    The final Tenn drive with 2 minutes left we had 3 timeouts, They went run, run, run. We played run, run, run. They converted and ran the clock out. Last year it was Laveon Bell, this year it was Derrick Henry. Same story, different jersey.

It became very clear in the 2nd half that this years Chiefs team wasn’t a super bowl team. Even if they had found a way to squeak out a win in this game it was delaying the inevitable. You can’t give up 5+ yards per carry and expect to win in the playoffs.
    I’m hoping for a new OC, new DC, new ST coaches. And Mahomes. Anything less will be a big disappointment.
    Well said CT. I’m not in the fire Andy camp for many of the reasons you mentioned. But I am in favor of someone else calling plays and a new defensive coordinator and potentially a new defensive scheme. We need to find a way to stop the run and play more consistently on both sides of the ball.
    Thanks Coach. You made many fine comments in the posts quoted above.

But the one that really sticks out in my mind is your comments about our rushing Defense. You simply can't win in the playoffs (especially in a close game in the 4th quarter) when you allow the enemy to rush 31 times for an average of 6.5 yards per carry. In fact, the Titans got more yards per rush than they did per pass attempt. So you are certainly correct that our INABILITY to defend the rush has once again (and for the 2cond year in a row) cost us a playoff victory. I appreciate you bringing this up as I hadn't realized just how bad our run Defense had been in this game until you mentioned it and I checked the stats. SHOCKING.

As for the changes you suggested....They started last year with the departure of JC, Poe and Maclin followed by the departure of Dorsey. And they are continuing this year with the departure of Nagy and the rumored departure of Childress and Sutton. There are even rumors about Toub. And if Alex is back next year as the starter then I will eat my hat. No way I can see that happening. I like Alex. But he's had his chance. I'll be sorry to see him go, but then that is the nature of the NFL. So the changes you want are happening. Of course as posted elsewhere Dorsey has already poached most of our college scouting staff. So it looks like the entire coaching and management staff is gone with the exception of Reid. For better or for worse our Chiefs are going to become the "Reid-Chiefs". I'm rather pleased (while at the same time fearful) about that. But it is a GOOD THING. Reid is a fine Coach and now he's going to have virtually complete control. I "get that". Anybody who is really good at his job want's everybody to get out of his way so he can do his job to the best of his ability so that he can prove he is THE BEST. That is the nature of a COMPETITOR. So now we'll get to see just how good (or bad) Reid is. He turned a collapsing franchise around in a single off season with nothing more than a new QB that wasn't named Brady, Montana, Young or any of the other QBs that get mentioned as some of the best of the best. The "Reid Era" is well and truly here now. We as fans are once again being plunged into the "Great Unknown". It's scary, but it's a good thing. Reid has essentially said..."Get the F out of my way so I can win a Super Bowl!" And he has gotten what he wants. So now we fans know EXACTLY who is responsible. At the end of 3-5 years we will either crown him as the Messiah or strangle him with a rope. Andy....you got what you wanted. Now go PROVE you deserved to. GO ANDY GO!!!!

We can complain about playcalling all we want, but the reality is that we didn’t run that many plays in the 2nd half. Because we couldn’t stop the run. We lost this playoff game for the same reason we lost last year’s playoff game. We were giving up 6+ yards per carry.
    The final Tenn drive with 2 minutes left we had 3 timeouts, They went run, run, run. We played run, run, run. They converted and ran the clock out. Last year it was Laveon Bell, this year it was Derrick Henry. Same story, different jersey.

It became very clear in the 2nd half that this years Chiefs team wasn’t a super bowl team. Even if they had found a way to squeak out a win in this game it was delaying the inevitable. You can’t give up 5+ yards per carry and expect to win in the playoffs.
    I’m hoping for a new OC, new DC, new ST coaches. And Mahomes. Anything less will be a big disappointment.
    I hear a lot about the 2nd half. And that's not even where I think the problem started.

I went back and watched the 2nd quarter again prior to the last drive Alex threw 5 passes in the 2nd 4 OF THEM WERE SCREENS. 1 was ruled a run officially. WE TOOK OUR FOOT OFF THE GAS BEFORE WE GOT TO THE 2nd half. And THAT is why I think this game falls on Andy Reid. Who was "calling the plays" really is a moot point. He was still overall in charge of the offense. And we went back to what got us beat in the Indy playoff game playing it safe after getting a lead.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

CT

I really don't really disagree much with the points that you bring up. I don't question that Reid has a place in the NFL. And really think that in 2013 Andy Reid was for sure the right guy at the right time for this team. He has turned this franchise around. And if you're a franchise in need of a turn around then Andy Reid is a hell of a guy to get that job done.

But here's my next question aren't we past that point? We are not that 2-14 team anymore. We have a lot of talent that is young and in their prime years and some that haven't even reached their primes. I think this team has past what Andy Reid's fit is. Andy has had some playoff success in his career but keep this in mind he hasn't been to a conference title game in a decade now.

But really this is a moot point Andy will be back. The only thing that we can really do is hope that something with him and Mahomes clicks and this ends up another thing that you can point and say Look what that Dumba$$ Matt said. Nobody would be happier with that then me believe me
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    CT

I really don't really disagree much with the points that you bring up. I don't question that Reid has a place in the NFL. And really think that in 2013 Andy Reid was for sure the right guy at the right time for this team. He has turned this franchise around. And if you're a franchise in need of a turn around then Andy Reid is a hell of a guy to get that job done.

But here's my next question aren't we past that point? We are not that 2-14 team anymore. We have a lot of talent that is young and in their prime years and some that haven't even reached their primes. I think this team has past what Andy Reid's fit is. Andy has had some playoff success in his career but keep this in mind he hasn't been to a conference title game in a decade now.

But really this is a moot point Andy will be back. The only thing that we can really do is hope that something with him and Mahomes clicks and this ends up another thing that you can point and say Look what that Dumba$$ Matt said. Nobody would be happier with that then me believe me
    Matt....

I thank you for how polite you were. You and I for the most part disagree about Reid but in the end we are both devoted Chiefs fans.

I really don't really disagree much with the points that you bring up. I don't question that Reid has a place in the NFL. And really think that in 2013 Andy Reid was for sure the right guy at the right time for this team. He has turned this franchise around. And if you're a franchise in need of a turn around then Andy Reid is a hell of a guy to get that job done. Perhaps if Dorsey was smart he would try to lure Reid away from KC?
    Yeah....Reid is a "turnaround artist". Never really thought about it that way before, but I believe you hit the nail on the head.

Certainly we are past the point where we need a "turnaround artist". Under Reid our Chiefs are a consistent winner and a consistent playoff team. Reid has brought us what we had in the Marty era. And I assume nobody will deny that is a great accomplishment. But humor me for a moment if you will. Thanks to my general "misbehavior" since the 70s I have a lot less "next years" left than I did in the Marty era. So please believe me when I say that I want us to WIN NOW as much as any of us do. I just "feel" that Reid is going to lead us out of the desert. And I'm truly pleased that Reid now has pretty much complete control of the team. He will either fly like an eagle or crash and burn. And it won't take too many years to figure out which will happen. And years matter to me now. And of course I have to ask...what coach out there that is available could take what Reid has built and take it to the next level? I don't see one. And I don't have the time to go through another decade or two of 4-12, 6-8 or 8-8 seasons. I see Reid as likely my last chance of seeing the Chiefs win another Super Bowl. So I say GO ANDY GO!

But really this is a moot point Andy will be back. The only thing that we can really do is hope that something with him and Mahomes clicks and this ends up another thing that you can point and say Look what that Dumba$$ Matt said. Nobody would be happier with that then me believe me.
    First off, I'll never call you a dumb-ash. Like most decent men if you are wrong you will call yourself out long before any of us will. And you are quite right....Reid ain't getting fired any time soon. He has the QB he wanted. He has a new contract extension. He pretty much has 100% control of the team now and will for the next 3 or more years....for better or for worse. And I ain't guaranteeing it will be for the better....or for the worse. We're Chiefs fans. We bought the ticket and now we are going to take the ride (apologies to Dr. Hunter S. Thompson).

CT.

Disagreement is great for a forum like this. As long as the people disagreeing can act like adults. That's why I post here more then another forum where the people well are more like children

I will say that I've been wrong many times about a number of things. But coaching has been one I feel I don't have a bad trac record on back in 2011 I was one of the first to scream that Haley needed to go. By the end there were not to many people that didn't agree with that. Same in 2012 while many wanted to say that everything would be fine if we "had a real QB" I was screaming from week 1 ROMEO was the problem and that Cassel was a side issue. By the end everyone was ready for Romeo to be gone. I hope I do turn out to be wrong this time. Time wil tell
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I hear a lot about the 2nd half. And that's not even where I think the problem started.

I went back and watched the 2nd quarter again prior to the last drive Alex threw 5 passes in the 2nd 4 OF THEM WERE SCREENS. 1 was ruled a run officially. WE TOOK OUR FOOT OFF THE GAS BEFORE WE GOT TO THE 2nd half. And THAT is why I think this game falls on Andy Reid. Who was "calling the plays" really is a moot point. He was still overall in charge of the offense. And we went back to what got us beat in the Indy playoff game playing it safe after getting a lead.
    It was like they ran their scripted plays, with good success, and then couldn't figure out how to adjust after that.
    But, as Coach rightly pointed out, when you only run 11 offensive plays in an entire half, it's the defense, specifically the run defense, that determined our collapse and early playoff exit.
    I got a feeling all 3 of our draft picks (ouch) will be on defense.
    Unless Reid and co can pull off a Kevin Costner Draft Day miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    It was like they ran their scripted plays, with good success, and then couldn't figure out how to adjust after that.
    But, as Coach rightly pointed out, when you only run 11 offensive plays in an entire half, it's the defense, specifically the run defense, that determined our collapse and early playoff exit.
    I got a feeling all 3 of our draft picks (ouch) will be on defense.
    Unless Reid and co can pull off a Kevin Costner Draft Day miracle.
    we actually get 4 picks

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    we actually get 4 picks
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Good Grief Dugstr! You've got a full fledged "conspiracy theory" going on here! (insert chuckling sounds). You do believe that we landed on the moon and that a bunch of Arabs rather than the Bush Family took down the twin towers don't you??? Don't take my comments above too seriously. It's humor. I figure that we're all still hurting from Saturday and that a little humor will help with the healing.

Not utterly implausible since I had known that Nagy was going to talk to Indy and another team that I forget but hadn't heard that he was going to interview with the Bears. But I just find it a little too far-fetched. IMO if Reid had snatched the playcalling away from Nagy mid-game, Nagy would have been PISHED and would have been more likely to take an "all deals are off" attitude. In addition, the reports I have seen are that Nagy and the Bears interviewed Sunday AFTER THE GAME.

Problem with that theory is that during EVERY GAME where we believe Nagy was calling the plays you saw Reid holding his play menu, covering his mouth and jabbering on his headset. During the games where we believe Nagy was calling the plays Reid acted NO DIFFERENTLY on the sidelines than he did when he was calling the plays in the earlier games. First couple of times that I saw Reid doing that during a game where Nagy was supposed to be doing the playcalling I thought..."OH NO! Reid has taken the playcalling back!!!). But the style of playcalling didn't change so I concluded this was just Reid being Reid. I mean...if Nagy was calling the plays, we didn't really expect Reid to stand by the bench like a potted plant did we? But since we have a good "conspiracy theory"....here's another to add to the mix....As you will recall, Reid supposedly turned much of the playcalling over to Doug Pedersen. And that helped Pedersen get a head coaching job. Now Reid supposedly turns the playcalling over to Nagy and Nagy gets a HC position. What if it's all been a COMPLETE SHAM? What if Reid has been calling the plays all along and the reports that of Reid turning over playcalling to first Pedersen and then Nagy were just a game to help them get promoted?
    It's really not so much of conspiracy theory as it is Reid just covering for his guys. While I don't get the Marty comparisons there are two things they have in common 1) Lots of wins and 2) Both sprouted big coaching trees.

My irritation is that the league could solve this by just putting a rule in place that barred teams from interviewing coaches from playoff teams during the postseason. Then Reid wouldn't have to worry about it.

I agree. Clarke isn't going to fire Reid unless Reid has 2-3 really bad seasons in a row or unless Reid goes "Full Marty" and we go "one and done" for 5 or 6 seasons in a row. We should all remember that it wasn't all that long ago that most of us would have given our left testicle to get someone who could return us to the Marty years.

Quite right. 5 winning seasons in a row, 4 out of 5 seasons making the playoffs, FINALLY a playoff win and two AFC West Championships in a row is not a bad season or a bad record. In fact, Reid has an EXCELLENT record in KC....there is just this small problem....he talks the girl out of her clothes and into bed, has GREAT foreplay and then when it's time to "seal the deal" he wilts...or anyway he has so far. As to responsibility, making changes to coaching staff etc.....Well...you appear to be getting your wish. We've got a new GM who I think it is safe to say is going to do Reid's bidding. Nagy is gone, Childress and Sutton are supposedly on their way out (and will certainly be replaced by Reid choices. Alex is on his way out and Mahomes is on his way in (and I believe Mahomes was mostly or all Reid's doing), Tamba is on his way out and some other "name players" will likely be gone with him. In short, for better or for worse Reid is now pretty much in control of the entire team and coaching staff. Reid will now be almost 100% responsible for every win and every loss. Reid wanted more control and he talked Clark into giving him (Reid) enough rope to hang himself or fly like an eagle. We will see what happens. But I don't see Clark Hunt reversing his decision unless Reid well and truly hangs himself. Hunt wouldn't have given Reid this much power unless he was pretty damned happy with the way things have gone so far
    Can't help but get the feeling that we've seen part of this movie before...Keep in mind Reid got full control of football operations in Philly, too. Look at how that ended. I've said it before I'll say it again, don't want to see Reid get fired, just want the guy to own up and make changes on his own accord, not changes shoved down his throat. If he does that, I think KC will be holding another Lombardi. If not, brace yourselves for more games like the last one.

CT.

Disagreement is great for a forum like this. As long as the people disagreeing can act like adults. That's why I post here more then another forum where the people well are more like children
    Couldn't agree more. I also like this format for forum better than others formats.

I will say that I've been wrong many times about a number of things. But coaching has been one I feel I don't have a bad trac record on back in 2011 I was one of the first to scream that Haley needed to go. By the end there were not to many people that didn't agree with that. Same in 2012 while many wanted to say that everything would be fine if we "had a real QB" I was screaming from week 1 ROMEO was the problem and that Cassel was a side issue. By the end everyone was ready for Romeo to be gone. I hope I do turn out to be wrong this time. Time wil tell
    When it comes to coaches and QBs I tend to be a "bitter ender". Usually the last one to say OFF WITH HIS HEAD! But I'm sort of like the canary in the coal mine.If I give up on a coach or QB you can figure they will be gone in the not too distant future.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast