Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about what Alex Smith is worth on the trade market.

Default Let's talk about what Alex Smith is worth on the trade market.

As Bike so aptly pointed out in the Alex to the Pro Bowl thread we NEED draft picks and we NEED cap space. And the easiest way to probably get some of both is to trade our Pro Bowl QB. According to overthecap.com trading Alex saves us $17 million in cap space. That ain't chump change. Cutting Tamba Hali (GOD! I hate saying that!) saves us another $8 million in cap space. So with just 2 moves we can go from being something like $5 million over the cap in 2018 to having something like $20 million in cap space. Doesn't make us rich, but it surely would make us a lot better off. Of course, we can cut Alex (I HATE saying that) but that doesn't solve our draft pick problem.

So we need to trade Alex. So the obvious question is "WHAT CAN WE GET FOR HIM?" I'd like to hear y'alls thoughts on what you think the best we have a chance of getting for him is and what you think the lowest offer we should honestly consider is. I'll do my best to start the ball rolling.

Of course, I want a mid-to-high first round and a mid-to-high 2cond round pick for him. But then...I want to win the power ball and bang a supermodel too and that ain't a gonna happen. So here are my thoughts....The day of our game against the Titans the idea of 2 second round picks (what we paid to get Alex) was floated and I'd be very happy with that. But a part of me would prefer 2 picks in the 2018 draft to 1 pick in 2018 and another in 2019. After all, our NEED for picks is NOW. So I'd be very happy with a 2cond and a 3rd in 2018. That would put us back in halfway decent shape for the 2018 draft.

As to the lowest we should take...I think we'll cut him if we can't trade him so getting ANYTHING is better than nothing. And because every team in the league probably thinks we'll probably cut him I suspect we'll get a few offers from some "bargain shoppers". So I think we should listen to ANY offers but that any offer less than a 2cond round pick we should tell them "I'll think about it". I mean....we can probably "fire-sale" him for a 5th round pick in the pre-season if the choice is that or cutting him and getting nothing.

What do y'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    We cam trade alex and rb ware to the browns who we all know dorsey knows both these players strengths. Browms have alot of picks to give.
    Yeah i think we can get browns to bite on this. We have to remember if teams know we will cut him anyways. And alex wont cry if we cit him cuz he will still get whats due plus money he signs with next team. So we could throw in ware to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Consider this: If Reid can't trade Smith for the picks he wants - Smith stays. For all we know, Reid has no intention of letting Smith go. I don't think there is any way on earth the Chiefs release Smith outright. There are other ways to get our cap down per my previous post.
    And RIGHT THERE is the conundrum. We are caught between a rock and a hard place. We need cap space...DESPERATELY. Our Defense is already weak. We're terribly short on draft picks. Something HAS TO GIVE. And as much as I like Alex AND I REALLY DO, selling Alex is the only realistic fix I see. Of course...I'm not an NFL head coach or GM and that is a DAMNED GOOD THING!

Yeah i think we can get browns to bite on this. We have to remember if teams know we will cut him anyways. And alex wont cry if we cit him cuz he will still get whats due plus money he signs with next team. So we could throw in ware to help.
    So you are saying trade Alex and Ware to Dorsey and keep West as our #2 running back? That's a very interesting idea. Especially if it could really improve our draft situation. My compliments for really thinking "outside the box". You would be a MUCH BETTER GM than I would. You probably play better chess than I do too.

I have an eye on a couple middle round runnings back I believe could be our #2 but we will see

So anyway, after posting all this crap, here is what I think will happen. Alex Smith stays right here. He is still under contract. Another year of maturity backing up AS11 will help Mahomes in the long run. Good night all.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    So you are saying trade Alex and Ware to Dorsey and keep West as our #2 running back? That's a very interesting idea. Especially if it could really improve our draft situation. My compliments for really thinking "outside the box". You would be a MUCH BETTER GM than I would. You probably play better chess than I do too.
    Yes hunt is our #1 now. Ware coming back we would have too much depth at rb.

Hunt, west, ware, A. Hunt

Ware amd hunt are more similar than west. So change of back would west amd A. Hunt 3rs string.

Ware could browns #1 rb. With smith amd ware the browns would already immidiately be upgraded more competitive. Id say browns could easily go 8-8 next year with smithbamd ware alomg with their draft picks this and last years. Browns would be stupid to turn the trade down.

You bet! But here's another thought. If Reid can't trade Smith for the picks he wants - Smith stays. For all we know, Reid has no intention of letting Smith go. I don't think there is any way on earth the Chiefs release Smith outright. There are other ways to get our cap down per my previous post.
    We shall see!
    Sorry to take so long to reply. The thread got kind of busy last night and I missed a few posts.

Personally, I'd prefer we kept Smith for the remainder of his contract. But I really don't see how we can. I saw your post with ways we could save something like $49 million, but to let that many veterans (all of them on the Defense) leave in a year where our draft picks are pretty much depleted would probably wreck next season. If there is a way to keep him for 2018 I'd want to do it. But I think the cost of the path you suggested is just too high.

Consider this: If Reid can't trade Smith for the picks he wants - Smith stays. For all we know, Reid has no intention of letting Smith go. I don't think there is any way on earth the Chiefs release Smith outright. There are other ways to get our cap down per my previous post.
    I hope like hell you are right. Alex is a very good QB and to just outright release him because of the cap would be borderline criminal.

Y'know Jason....the more I think about this idea the more I like it. It adds another $2 million to our cap space on top of the $17 million we'd save by trading Alex. It would certainly be good for the Browns since it would give them a veteran QB and RB both of whom have 3-4 truly solid years left in them. And being honest now that we have Hunt, Ware is...well...expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I hope like hell you are right. Alex is a very good QB and to just outright release him because of the cap would be borderline criminal.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm ready to move on from Alex Smith. I'm ready for the Mahomes era to begin. But the situation has to be right for Mahomes, and for the Chiefs. To me, the best scenerio is for another year of maturity for Mahomes, and for AS11 to finish out his contract. I wouldn't even mind if Mahomes beats out AS11 in training cap and Smith backs up Mahomes! Either way, we are a better team with AS11 here for the last year of his contract. Does Hunt/Veach/Reid think the same? I think they do. If they can fix Dorsey's cap fiasco. Which I think they can do.
    Last edited by Bike; 01-14-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast