Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about what Alex Smith is worth on the trade market.

Default Let's talk about what Alex Smith is worth on the trade market.

As Bike so aptly pointed out in the Alex to the Pro Bowl thread we NEED draft picks and we NEED cap space. And the easiest way to probably get some of both is to trade our Pro Bowl QB. According to overthecap.com trading Alex saves us $17 million in cap space. That ain't chump change. Cutting Tamba Hali (GOD! I hate saying that!) saves us another $8 million in cap space. So with just 2 moves we can go from being something like $5 million over the cap in 2018 to having something like $20 million in cap space. Doesn't make us rich, but it surely would make us a lot better off. Of course, we can cut Alex (I HATE saying that) but that doesn't solve our draft pick problem.

So we need to trade Alex. So the obvious question is "WHAT CAN WE GET FOR HIM?" I'd like to hear y'alls thoughts on what you think the best we have a chance of getting for him is and what you think the lowest offer we should honestly consider is. I'll do my best to start the ball rolling.

Of course, I want a mid-to-high first round and a mid-to-high 2cond round pick for him. But then...I want to win the power ball and bang a supermodel too and that ain't a gonna happen. So here are my thoughts....The day of our game against the Titans the idea of 2 second round picks (what we paid to get Alex) was floated and I'd be very happy with that. But a part of me would prefer 2 picks in the 2018 draft to 1 pick in 2018 and another in 2019. After all, our NEED for picks is NOW. So I'd be very happy with a 2cond and a 3rd in 2018. That would put us back in halfway decent shape for the 2018 draft.

As to the lowest we should take...I think we'll cut him if we can't trade him so getting ANYTHING is better than nothing. And because every team in the league probably thinks we'll probably cut him I suspect we'll get a few offers from some "bargain shoppers". So I think we should listen to ANY offers but that any offer less than a 2cond round pick we should tell them "I'll think about it". I mean....we can probably "fire-sale" him for a 5th round pick in the pre-season if the choice is that or cutting him and getting nothing.

What do y'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Well, let's talk about our sucky cap situation for a second.
    2 players that will most certainly be gone with zero dead money:
    Revis - 4.5 mil cap hit
    Ford - 8.7 mil cap hit
    There's over 13 mil right there.
    Players that could, or should be released:
    Hali - 9.4 - 1.7 dead money
    Johnson - 10.2 - 2.2 dead money
    Bailey - 8 - 2 dead money
    Parker - 7 - 2 dead money
    Everybody else that is taking up big chunks of cap space really has too much dead cap to outright release.
    So there is 49 million freed up right there. And that's just outright releases. We should be able to trade one or two of those guys. And if we could restructure Houston and Fisher, that could free up some more.
    Berry has a whopping 25 mil dead cap space, so he ain't going nowhere.
    Doable? I dunno.
    But that is one way to keep Smith for the remainder of his contract.
    Here is one way CT

Here is one way CT
    The only question is would the Chiefs want to do this for Alex.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    That, my friend, is the question. The one thing we still have to consider is this: AS11 is STILL UNDER CONTRACT for another year.
    Last edited by Bike; 01-14-2018 at 12:49 AM.

Well, let's talk about our sucky cap situation for a second.
    2 players that will most certainly be gone with zero dead money:
    Revis - 4.5 mil cap hit
    Ford - 8.7 mil cap hit
    There's over 13 mil right there.
    Players that could, or should be released:
    Hali - 9.4 - 1.7 dead money
    Johnson - 10.2 - 2.2 dead money
    Bailey - 8 - 2 dead money
    Parker - 7 - 2 dead money
    Everybody else that is taking up big chunks of cap space really has too much dead cap to outright release.
    So there is 49 million freed up right there. And that's just outright releases. We should be able to trade one or two of those guys. And if we could restructure Houston and Fisher, that could free up some more.
    Berry has a whopping 25 mil dead cap space, so he ain't going nowhere.
    Doable? I dunno.
    But that is one way to keep Smith for the remainder of his contract.
    HOT DAMN! Way more information than I had taken the time to collect. Thanks for putting it all in one place.

IMO, Revis is gone, Hali is gone. So that's about $12 million.

At $8.7 million Ford should go if we can get a stud OLB in the draft or pick up a decent aging veteran for less (maybe $5-$6 million). Ford is good, but he ain't (IMO) $8.7 million good.

IMO DJ, Parker and EB ain't going nowhere.

So I figure that when all is said and done maybe we are adding maybe $14 to $19 million to our cap space. Deduct the $5 million we are supposed to be over the cap next year, plus $4 million for draft picks and we have about $5-$10 million in available cap space. Throw in any kind of a decent trade for Alex to get us some draft picks and we'd be at $22-$27 million in cap space. Not rich but in decent shape and maybe with enough cash to play in the aging veteran free agent market to fill a glaring need or two.

Why shouldn't we cut DJ and Parker. IMO anywhere we can cut savings we should do it

And keep in mind, all them players mentioned above come from our defense - a defense that collapsed to an average Tennessee team and knocked us out of the playoffs.
    Excellent point! Defense is where we need the most help. Especially RUN DEFENSE.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Emotions aside, I just don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Why shouldn't we cut DJ and Parker. IMO anywhere we can cut savings we should do it
    I would like to keep both. But with the dire cap situation Dorsey left us with, it would make sense to trade or release them.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Emotions aside, I just don't see that happening.
    Consider this: If Reid can't trade Smith for the picks he wants - Smith stays. For all we know, Reid has no intention of letting Smith go. I don't think there is any way on earth the Chiefs release Smith outright. There are other ways to get our cap down per my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs4life24 View Post
    Yes, DJ is slowing down. But he is still a team leader in the locker room and on the field. Remember that almost strip he had in the closing minutes of the Titans game that the Zebras screwed us out of? We NEED those kind of people.

Parker I consider "borderline" at his price but we must keep in mind that all these cap savings we are talking about are all coming from our Defense...our same Defense that wound up in the bottom 8 in the NFL. I don't care how good Mahomes is but if our Defense is giving up 35 points per game we are going to be a cellar-dweller. There is only so much we can strip away from our already marginal Defense. They were really good at "bend but don't break" for 4 years. but this year they just bent TOO MUCH.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast