Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about what Alex Smith is worth on the trade market.

Default Let's talk about what Alex Smith is worth on the trade market.

As Bike so aptly pointed out in the Alex to the Pro Bowl thread we NEED draft picks and we NEED cap space. And the easiest way to probably get some of both is to trade our Pro Bowl QB. According to overthecap.com trading Alex saves us $17 million in cap space. That ain't chump change. Cutting Tamba Hali (GOD! I hate saying that!) saves us another $8 million in cap space. So with just 2 moves we can go from being something like $5 million over the cap in 2018 to having something like $20 million in cap space. Doesn't make us rich, but it surely would make us a lot better off. Of course, we can cut Alex (I HATE saying that) but that doesn't solve our draft pick problem.

So we need to trade Alex. So the obvious question is "WHAT CAN WE GET FOR HIM?" I'd like to hear y'alls thoughts on what you think the best we have a chance of getting for him is and what you think the lowest offer we should honestly consider is. I'll do my best to start the ball rolling.

Of course, I want a mid-to-high first round and a mid-to-high 2cond round pick for him. But then...I want to win the power ball and bang a supermodel too and that ain't a gonna happen. So here are my thoughts....The day of our game against the Titans the idea of 2 second round picks (what we paid to get Alex) was floated and I'd be very happy with that. But a part of me would prefer 2 picks in the 2018 draft to 1 pick in 2018 and another in 2019. After all, our NEED for picks is NOW. So I'd be very happy with a 2cond and a 3rd in 2018. That would put us back in halfway decent shape for the 2018 draft.

As to the lowest we should take...I think we'll cut him if we can't trade him so getting ANYTHING is better than nothing. And because every team in the league probably thinks we'll probably cut him I suspect we'll get a few offers from some "bargain shoppers". So I think we should listen to ANY offers but that any offer less than a 2cond round pick we should tell them "I'll think about it". I mean....we can probably "fire-sale" him for a 5th round pick in the pre-season if the choice is that or cutting him and getting nothing.

What do y'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Well, let's talk about our sucky cap situation for a second.
    2 players that will most certainly be gone with zero dead money:
    Revis - 4.5 mil cap hit
    Ford - 8.7 mil cap hit
    There's over 13 mil right there.
    Players that could, or should be released:
    Hali - 9.4 - 1.7 dead money
    Johnson - 10.2 - 2.2 dead money
    Bailey - 8 - 2 dead money
    Parker - 7 - 2 dead money
    Everybody else that is taking up big chunks of cap space really has too much dead cap to outright release.
    So there is 49 million freed up right there. And that's just outright releases. We should be able to trade one or two of those guys. And if we could restructure Houston and Fisher, that could free up some more.
    Berry has a whopping 25 mil dead cap space, so he ain't going nowhere.
    Doable? I dunno.
    But that is one way to keep Smith for the remainder of his contract.
    And keep in mind, all them players mentioned above come from our defense - a defense that collapsed to an average Tennessee team and knocked us out of the playoffs.

I hear ya. But another year behind Smith can only help Mahomes. Remember, Aaron Rodgers sat for three years behind Farve...
    Very true but the Packers didn't put what we did into Mahomes in terms of giving up the picks for him. He kinda fell into their laps .
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Very true but the Packers didn't put what we did into Mahomes in terms of giving up the picks for him. He kinda fell into their laps .
    Agreed. If I remember right, we picked DJ right before GB picked Rodgers.

Agreed. If I remember right, we picked DJ right before GB picked Rodgers.
    If not right before pretty damn close to it
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

And what pisses me off even more: 5 million in dead cap we have to pay this year for the release of Jeremy Maclin.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Like CT mentioned the league knows that with the cap hit the Chiefs are going to have to cut him. I really don't think that we will get a top pick for him.

But after having the season he had and the start of the playoff game before Andy went all Andy with the screens (One day I'll get over it LOL) I think now we will get SOMETHING for him but my top is 3rd rounder. I just don't see anymore than that with his cap hit being well known
    Yup. You NAILED IT! Alex has PROVEN he can be an amazing QB. The Colts and Titans first half. Week 1 against the Patriots and many other games. There have to be plenty of coaches, GMs and OCs out there that would LOVE to get their hands on him. I hope we can do better than a 3rd round but I *think* we will be able to get some decent value for him. After all, we got Kelce in the 3rd, Hunt in the 3rd and Hill in the 5th. Since we MUST unload Alex's cap hit I wouldn't cry too much if we got a 3rd round for Alex this year when we REALLY need the picks.

Well, the Chiefs are gonna have to throw it out there that they just might keep Smith for the remainder of his contract and reduce the cap elsewhere. We need a mid 2nd and a 3rd pick at least out of this. Another year of Smith grooming Mahomes would be ideal as far as I'm concerned. I doubt this happens, but the pot needs to be stirred to get some picks thrown our way.
    And I think that is exactly what was being done when the Chiefs "leaked" that they might be open to trading Alex and the opening bid would be 2 2cond round picks. We have a good commodity and before you blatantly offer to sell you first let everybody get a sniff and a ballpark idea of what it might cost.

Well, the Chiefs are gonna have to throw it out there that they just might keep Smith for the remainder of his contract and reduce the cap elsewhere. We need a mid 2nd and a 3rd pick at least out of this. Another year of Smith grooming Mahomes would be ideal as far as I'm concerned. I doubt this happens, but the pot needs to be stirred to get some picks thrown our way.
    Just so. Hard to figure how to work that into the cap though.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Just so. Hard to figure how to work that into the cap though.
    Not really. Check out my post below...

Round 1 2005 NFL Draft

Pick 1 - SF - Alex Smith

Pick 15 - KC - Derrick Johnson

Pick 24 - GB - Aaron Rodgers

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast