Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs: LJ's foot injury showing 'significant improvement'

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Default Chiefs: LJ's foot injury showing 'significant improvement'

Chiefs: LJ's foot injury showing 'significant improvement'

The injured right foot of running back Larry Johnson "has made significant improvement," the Kansas City Chiefs said Thursday. What that improvement means for Johnson's playing status beyond this week remains unclear.
    While Johnson's status has ranged from "very questionable" to "very unlikely" to Thursday's official status of "doubtful to out" for Sunday's game against the Denver Broncos, he has been ruled out by head coach Herm Edwards.

Greg Trott / Getty ImagesLarry Johnson had posted 100-plus yards rushing in three of the previous four games before Sunday's injury.

» Johnson: Profile | game logs
    » Video: Herm Edwards injury update
    » Video: Johnson injures foot
    » Video: Johnson Week 9 highlight
    What is more in question is Johnson's status for the remainder of the season. Two people close to the situation said Thursday that Johnson is “day to day”, meaning that he likely will be returning sooner rather than later, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.
    The Chiefs medical staff examined Johnson on Wednesday night, and the team issued a statement on his status on Thursday.
    "Larry has made significant improvement with less swelling and pain in his injured right foot," the team said in the statement. "His status will be re-evaluated again early next week with further exams and tests."
    The statement was signed by Carl Peterson, the Chiefs' president and general manager, and team physician Dr. Jon Browne.
    A report from earlier this week that Johnson broke his right foot in Sunday's loss to Green Bay and would not play again this season has yet to be confirmed. The report cited an unnamed source within the Chiefs organization. To date, the Chiefs have said only that Johnson suffered a mid-foot sprain.
    Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards maintained on Wednesday that he has not been told that Johnson has a broken foot. Edwards has said on several occassions he's planning on facing the Broncos without the Chiefs' leading rusher.
    "All I know is this is what I've been told. What I've been told not by that reporter but from our doctors is that his foot is still swollen," Edwards told reporters after Wednesday's practice.
    "They're still trying to look at it to find out exactly where he's at. I do know this -- it's very doubtful in my mind that he's going to play this week. That's what I know. Don't shoot the messenger."
    Asked directly if he had been told that Johnson's foot was broken, Edwards said:
    "What I just told you is what I've been told. And that's all I care to know about, to be quite honest. What you have to understand is when you're a football coach, here's what you want to know on Monday, or on Sunday -- is a player going to be available to play on Sunday? Doctor says maybe, questionable, doubtful. Once they tell me they don't think he's going to be able to play, fine. I move on. That's all I've got to do. I don't have to worry about next week. I can't control next week. I've got to concentrate on this week."
    The Chiefs (4-4) will use 34-year-old Priest Holmes and untested rookie Kolby Smith to replace Johnson, who signed a six-year, $45 million contract after holding out the entire training camp. Johnson rushed for more than 1,750 yards each of the past two seasons and has scored Kansas City's last 36 touchdowns on the ground. But he was off to a slow start and had only 559 yards on 158 carries when he was injured late in the fourth quarter against the Packers.
    Ironically, Johnson got his chance to come off the bench and start when Holmes, a three-time Pro Bowler, went down in October 2005 with a spinal injury. Now, Holmes will have an opportunity to resurrect his career while Johnson nurses an injury that could keep him out much longer than one week.
    Or will it? Edwards insisted he does not know.
    "If they tell me something, when I get the message this is what it is, I'll be the first to tell you," he said. "I have nothing to hide. What do I have to hide? I've been told exactly what I just told you. Now, if someone else has been told something, good for them. that's what I've been told. All I want to know, to be quite honest, is he going to play Sunday? No, he's not playing. OK. Next.
    "I'm the messenger. I guess I've got to take the bullets. You kill the messenger and we'll send another messenger up here tomorrow."
    Holmes, who posted three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons from 2001-03, still holds the Chiefs' career rushing record.
    Edwards has said he will not be the featured back, but Holmes said he's ready for 25 to 30 carries if that is what is needed.
    "I'm a professional. I pride myself on being a professional," Holmes said. "I'm definitely ready. I'm prepared. Most of all, I'm having fun. I think the two years off gave me a chance to grow personally. I've learned a lot, experienced a lot. I'm just excited. I think the element I bring to the team is one that's going to keep you guessing. If you have that element, it's definitely a good thing."
    The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Quote Originally Posted by bryonc View Post

The injured right foot of running back Larry Johnson "has made significant improvement," the Kansas City Chiefs said Thursday. What that improvement means for Johnson's playing status beyond this week remains unclear.
    While Johnson's status has ranged from "very questionable" to "very unlikely" to Thursday's official status of "doubtful to out" for Sunday's game against the Denver Broncos, he has been ruled out by head coach Herm Edwards.

Greg Trott / Getty ImagesLarry Johnson had posted 100-plus yards rushing in three of the previous four games before Sunday's injury.

What is more in question is Johnson's status for the remainder of the season. Two people close to the situation said Thursday that Johnson is “day to day”, meaning that he likely will be returning sooner rather than later, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.
    The Chiefs medical staff examined Johnson on Wednesday night, and the team issued a statement on his status on Thursday.
    "Larry has made significant improvement with less swelling and pain in his injured right foot," the team said in the statement. "His status will be re-evaluated again early next week with further exams and tests."
    The statement was signed by Carl Peterson, the Chiefs' president and general manager, and team physician Dr. Jon Browne.
    A report from earlier this week that Johnson broke his right foot in Sunday's loss to Green Bay and would not play again this season has yet to be confirmed. The report cited an unnamed source within the Chiefs organization. To date, the Chiefs have said only that Johnson suffered a mid-foot sprain.
    Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards maintained on Wednesday that he has not been told that Johnson has a broken foot. Edwards has said on several occassions he's planning on facing the Broncos without the Chiefs' leading rusher.
    "All I know is this is what I've been told. What I've been told not by that reporter but from our doctors is that his foot is still swollen," Edwards told reporters after Wednesday's practice.
    "They're still trying to look at it to find out exactly where he's at. I do know this -- it's very doubtful in my mind that he's going to play this week. That's what I know. Don't shoot the messenger."
    Asked directly if he had been told that Johnson's foot was broken, Edwards said:
    "What I just told you is what I've been told. And that's all I care to know about, to be quite honest. What you have to understand is when you're a football coach, here's what you want to know on Monday, or on Sunday -- is a player going to be available to play on Sunday? Doctor says maybe, questionable, doubtful. Once they tell me they don't think he's going to be able to play, fine. I move on. That's all I've got to do. I don't have to worry about next week. I can't control next week. I've got to concentrate on this week."
    The Chiefs (4-4) will use 34-year-old Priest Holmes and untested rookie Kolby Smith to replace Johnson, who signed a six-year, $45 million contract after holding out the entire training camp. Johnson rushed for more than 1,750 yards each of the past two seasons and has scored Kansas City's last 36 touchdowns on the ground. But he was off to a slow start and had only 559 yards on 158 carries when he was injured late in the fourth quarter against the Packers.
    Ironically, Johnson got his chance to come off the bench and start when Holmes, a three-time Pro Bowler, went down in October 2005 with a spinal injury. Now, Holmes will have an opportunity to resurrect his career while Johnson nurses an injury that could keep him out much longer than one week.
    "If they tell me something, when I get the message this is what it is, I'll be the first to tell you," he said. "I have nothing to hide. What do I have to hide? I've been told exactly what I just told you. Now, if someone else has been told something, good for them. that's what I've been told. All I want to know, to be quite honest, is he going to play Sunday? No, he's not playing. OK. Next.
    "I'm the messenger. I guess I've got to take the bullets. You kill the messenger and we'll send another messenger up here tomorrow."
    Holmes, who posted three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons from 2001-03, still holds the Chiefs' career rushing record.
    Edwards has said he will not be the featured back, but Holmes said he's ready for 25 to 30 carries if that is what is needed.
    "I'm a professional. I pride myself on being a professional," Holmes said. "I'm definitely ready. I'm prepared. Most of all, I'm having fun. I think the two years off gave me a chance to grow personally. I've learned a lot, experienced a lot. I'm just excited. I think the element I bring to the team is one that's going to keep you guessing. If you have that element, it's definitely a good thing."
    Nice find BryonC. I hope that he isn't out to long. I just hope that when he comes back he has that fire again and just startes bruising people again like he did last yeart.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Great find...rep added. Oh and get well LJ
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    Nice find BryonC. I hope that he isn't out to long. I just hope that when he comes back he has that fire again and just startes bruising people again like he did last yeart.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Get well LJ!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Yup; and I hope Priest is ready to carry the load, or at least share it with Kolby.

The Kansas City Chiefs have played down reports star running back Larry Johnson will miss the rest of the season because of a foot injury.
    Johnson was injured when he was tackled by A.J. Hawk with 7:52 remaining in last Sunday's 33-22 loss to the Green Bay Packers.
    He was initially diagnosed as having a sprained foot, but media reports later suggested the foot could be broken, ruling Johnson out for the rest of the season.
    But although Johnson is doubtful for this week's game against the Denver Broncos, the Chiefs insist he is recovering well.
    "Larry has made significant improvement with less swelling and pain in his injured right foot," a statement said.
    "His status will be re-evaluated again early next week with further exams."
    Chiefs coach Herm Edwards has said Priest Holmes will move into the starting lineup, although he will share time with rookie Kolby Smith...

http://www.sportinglife.com/nfl/news...SA-Kansas.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Yup; and I hope Priest is ready to carry the load, or at least share it with Kolby.

The Kansas City Chiefs have played down reports star running back Larry Johnson will miss the rest of the season because of a foot injury.
    Johnson was injured when he was tackled by A.J. Hawk with 7:52 remaining in last Sunday's 33-22 loss to the Green Bay Packers.
    He was initially diagnosed as having a sprained foot, but media reports later suggested the foot could be broken, ruling Johnson out for the rest of the season.
    But although Johnson is doubtful for this week's game against the Denver Broncos, the Chiefs insist he is recovering well.
    "Larry has made significant improvement with less swelling and pain in his injured right foot," a statement said.
    "His status will be re-evaluated again early next week with further exams."
    Chiefs coach Herm Edwards has said Priest Holmes will move into the starting lineup, although he will share time with rookie Kolby Smith...

http://www.sportinglife.com/nfl/news...SA-Kansas.html
    Of what we know about Priest, is he will have studied film on the donks and he will be ready for his role in the game plan!

LJ get well, we do need you, the angry runner!

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    LJ get well, we do need you, the angry runner!
    what do they need him for? to get no yardage on first and second down? no dont really need him for that.

Right now the Chiefs need for him to be on the sideline. If anything, it will help LJ to watch some games.

At some point, if you are not performing, it is best to watch from the sidelines, whether the coach forces this upon you or whether an injury at a goood time in the season occurs.

Point is, it is good for Larry and the Chiefs that he is going to watch some action from the side rather than be in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by timsatt1 View Post
    what do they need him for? to get no yardage on first and second down? no dont really need him for that.

Right now the Chiefs need for him to be on the sideline. If anything, it will help LJ to watch some games.

At some point, if you are not performing, it is best to watch from the sidelines, whether the coach forces this upon you or whether an injury at a goood time in the season occurs.

Point is, it is good for Larry and the Chiefs that he is going to watch some action from the side rather than be in the game.
    Maybe our offensive line needs to watch from the sidelines then..... maybe they could get some learnin done.

Quote Originally Posted by tammietailgator View Post
    Maybe our offensive line needs to watch from the sidelines then..... maybe they could get some learnin done.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Never thought of that before!

They can stand there and talk to Brodie about learnin' and stuff!!!!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast