Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post game afc playoffs vs colts- bob sutton coach of the year

Default Post game afc playoffs vs colts- bob sutton coach of the year

It has been 0 days since the Chiefs won a home playoff game!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to start this with the defense THEY STEPPED UP. They played like a championship level defense today. I have been very critical of Bob Sutton all year long. Today I have to eat a bit of crow and say it's pretty damn tasty. I'm not sure where that has been all year. But man it was great to see. If they play like that next week they are going to be going to the Super Bowl. Please make me eat more Crow next Sunday night Mr.Sutton

The offense was pretty damn good in the 1st half. They moved the ball at will. 2nd half not so much. The warts of an Andy Reid team showed some in the 2nd half. That along with the O line just didn't play all that well. Regardless of who wins tomorrow that 2nd half can't happen again IMO if they want to win. They are going to have to put a complete game together.

There is going to be a lot of talk about Mahome being the biggest difference this year. And hey most of that is very true. But the other guys need a pat on the back. I've been on this board of nearly 10 years now. The QB spot has been talked about over and over. I have sat and watch our wrs and Tes if they didn't get open just stand there and look at the qb like a deer in the headlights. You don't see that now. Guys show fight and give Mahomes a chance to make a play. That helps. But Mahomes alone is a Major reason why we won today. Lets all also give the other guys their deserved props.

For the very 1st time I will see the Chiefs play for the AFC championship. It will come on my Birthday. Really hope to get one hell of a birthday present next Sunday night! GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Bob Sutton Thank you Defense way to step up today. Got to give them an extra shoutout
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    After all these years, it's happening. We are playing for the Lamar Hunt trophy next week, at Arrowhead. It's been a long time coming - makes me think of the fans from the Stram era that have stuck by this team, all the Marty-era fans that stuck by it, and all the fans that Chiefscrowd has gathered along the way from all over the globe...It's really happening.

Today's game was awesome. D showed up with a chip on their shoulder, and really played well. They interviewed Dee Ford after the game and he said that the D really started coming together during the Raiders game. Going by the results I'm inclined to agree. Our guys are looking for the ball now, and are getting their assignments a lot better. Sutton called a really good game.

Offensively, the passing game was great in the first half. The play that had two screens going on at the same time was absolutely awesome. As the game went on think the Colts began to get a handle on it, and as a result began to get to Mahomes a little better. Having Sammy Watkins back was great.

What sealed the deal for us was how our run game was able to keep getting first downs and keep the clock winding down. We gave the Colts very little time to work with at all.

Awesome game all around. Folks, we're going to the AFC championship game
    All of the above.

It is the dawning of a new era. I had said in Matt's pregame thread that mental discipline would be the key to the Chiefs Defensive success & that is exactly what happened today & needs to continue. I never was convinced that the cupboard was completely barren on the Defensive side of the ball, as they just needed to play smarter and more disciplined & certainly the insertion of Ward and Lucas was a huge plus to their secondary.

Looking ahead I really want the Pats

There's an old saying to be the man WHOOOO you got to beat the man.WHOOOO

I want a chance to beat the man
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

The move to bench parker and scandrick for lucas and ward has been very critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    The move to bench parker and scandrick for lucas and ward has been very critical.
    Very true.

I watched at Arrowhead Orlando Scandrick make Lamar Jackson look like he could throw. They picked on him time and time again. Ward has had some Rookie moments. But he has greatly improved might have ourselves something there
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

There's just no way to soft-sell or overstate the MAGNITUDE of the Chiefs win today.

Opinions may differ, but the Chiefs may have very well taken down the biggest threat to them in this post-season -- the Indianapolis Colts. That's right, I said it, because I really believe that. The Colts are a very good team that on a good day could beat anyone. Plus, we know what they did to KC in the previous 4 playoff encounters. I expect them to be right back in the playoff hunt in 2019.

And the Chiefs won today without any officiating controversies, as far as I know (I haven't seen the game in its entirety, yet). The Chiefs had some good fortune (the missed FG and PAT by the Colts placekicker), but they didn't have their O-Lineman grease their jerseys, didn't get away with massive holding & illegal chop-blocks or illegal pick plays by their receivers, didn't have absolutely horrific officiating tilt the playing field in their favor, didn't play a ridiculously easy schedule to get here, didn't have their DB's continually getting away with holding opposing team's receivers (we know exactly who was guilty of the aforementioned in the past, don't we?).

Hard to believe it has been 25 years since the Chiefs won that playoff game down in Houston when Joe Montana was the QB. Today's win, to me, was much more meaningful.

Starting tomorrow, it is time to get ready for the next game.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-13-2019 at 01:51 AM.

So stoked for this huge win. I don’t know how many more disappointments this heart of mine could take and im only 34. I think the only real issue I had with our Defense is our corners are playing the reaction of the WR and not Turing to see the ball. We could have been flagged more for that imo. Other than that I think everyone else had a great game. Mahomes didn’t have a TD pass but still considered to have played lights out! Ford/Houston/Jones killed it and even Derrick Nandi got in there!

Opening play of the game a run for loss set the tone and THEY NEVER LET UP! I’m
    PROUD OF OUR TEAM AND SCREAMING IT FROM THE MOUNTAIN TOPS! I LOVE MY CHIEFS!!!
    Last edited by Justin5772002; 01-13-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    There's just no way to soft-sell or overstate the MAGNITUDE of the Chiefs win today.

Opinions may differ, but the Chiefs may have very well taken down the biggest threat to them in this post-season -- the Indianapolis Colts. That's right, I said it, because I really believe that. The Colts are a very good team that on a good day could beat anyone. Plus, we know what they did to KC in the previous 4 playoff encounters. I expect them to be right back in the playoff hunt in 2019.

And the Chiefs won today without any officiating controversies, as far as I know (I haven't seen the game in its entirety, yet). The Chiefs had some good fortune (the missed FG and PAT by the Colts placekicker), but they didn't have their O-Lineman grease their jerseys, didn't get away with massive holding & illegal chop-blocks or illegal pick plays by their receivers, didn't have absolutely horrific officiating tilt the playing field in their favor, didn't play a ridiculously easy schedule to get here, didn't have their DB's continually getting away with holding opposing team's receivers (we know exactly who was guilty of the aforementioned in the past, don't we?).

Hard to believe it has been 25 years since the Chiefs won that playoff game down in Houston when Joe Montana was the QB. Today's win, to me, was much more meaningful.

Starting tomorrow, it is time to get ready for the next game.
    There were a couple of goofy calls by the refs, not many. The one that sticks out in my mind was the holding call against a Colts lineman that "held" Sorensen. Think there was an offsides call that got followed up by a false start call (aka "makeup") call which was pretty cheesy. Nothing that would've changed the outcome of the game, though.

One odd thing to note, yesterday's game was ironic in that it was the Colt's kicker's turn to have a bad game. Like the calls, it wouldn't have made any difference. Another thing - The Colts are another team that made it to the playoffs with people that have worked with Reid (GM Chris Ballard). Most of the fans on Colts forums credit Ballard with giving Reich enough talent to weather the 1-5 start.

We still have some work to do on the defensive secondary roster but after what we've seen the past two games, we are good enough to win two more games. We've got a really good front seven. Yesterday the linebackers weren't out of place at all.

I have gone back and watched some of that game here's something to add

It's amazing how smart Mahomes is already. I talked in the game thread about how amazing it was that he was getting the Colts to jump offsides. He played like a vet in that regard. But add to that what he did on his TD run. He had the presence of mind in that moment to do a simple pump fake. It's a small thing but without it the defender makes a tackle. He is doing things that Vets do already. It's a great thing to see.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12