Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post game afc playoffs vs colts- bob sutton coach of the year

Default Post game afc playoffs vs colts- bob sutton coach of the year

It has been 0 days since the Chiefs won a home playoff game!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to start this with the defense THEY STEPPED UP. They played like a championship level defense today. I have been very critical of Bob Sutton all year long. Today I have to eat a bit of crow and say it's pretty damn tasty. I'm not sure where that has been all year. But man it was great to see. If they play like that next week they are going to be going to the Super Bowl. Please make me eat more Crow next Sunday night Mr.Sutton

The offense was pretty damn good in the 1st half. They moved the ball at will. 2nd half not so much. The warts of an Andy Reid team showed some in the 2nd half. That along with the O line just didn't play all that well. Regardless of who wins tomorrow that 2nd half can't happen again IMO if they want to win. They are going to have to put a complete game together.

There is going to be a lot of talk about Mahome being the biggest difference this year. And hey most of that is very true. But the other guys need a pat on the back. I've been on this board of nearly 10 years now. The QB spot has been talked about over and over. I have sat and watch our wrs and Tes if they didn't get open just stand there and look at the qb like a deer in the headlights. You don't see that now. Guys show fight and give Mahomes a chance to make a play. That helps. But Mahomes alone is a Major reason why we won today. Lets all also give the other guys their deserved props.

For the very 1st time I will see the Chiefs play for the AFC championship. It will come on my Birthday. Really hope to get one hell of a birthday present next Sunday night! GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Bob Sutton Thank you Defense way to step up today. Got to give them an extra shoutout
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

This picture says it all saw it on twitter
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Good analysis, Matt. Hopefully Andy Reid will realize that bad play-calling can kill you. On the last TD drive he eliminated that & gave his O-Line and the Chiefs runners a chance to run over the Colts & they got it done.

Reid has to realize that in the post-season that passing the ball TOO much can do more harm than good. You have to have balance on Offense, along with solid Defensive play, is how you advance in the post-season. Damien Williams rushed for 129 yards on 25 carries and averaged 5.2 yards per carry <--- THAT will get it done in the post-season.

As for Mahomes, getting a playoff victory in his first ever playoff start is absolutely HUGE. Dan Marino didn't do it and neither did Turd Elway. But, Joe Montana did & so did Tom Brady, and now Mahomes joins their ranks in that regard.

Defensively, the Chiefs D-Line got the better of the Colts O-Line when it counted the most & the young DB's, Ward and Lucas were major difference makers.

One thing I noticed that was different from all the playoff losses prior to today -- this time it was the enemy kicker that couldn't put the ball through the uprights, instead of the Chiefs kicker.

Oh, and one more thing. We had our worries about the snowfall, which was understandable, but now we can sing this song in this video that I remember hearing back around the time the Chiefs won SB IV. When has the snow looked more beautiful at Arrowhead than today.

Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-12-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Good analysis, Matt. Hopefully Andy Reid will realize that bad play-calling can kill you. On the last TD drive he eliminated that & gave his O-Line and the Chiefs runners a chance to run over the Colts & they got it done.

Reid has to realize that in the post-season that passing the ball TOO much can do more harm than good. You have to have balance on Offense, along with solid Defensive play, is how you advance in the post-season. Damien Williams rushed for 129 yards on 25 carries and averaged 5.2 yards per carry <--- THAT will get it done in the post-season.

As for Mahomes, getting a playoff victory in his first ever playoff start is absolutely HUGE. Dan Marino didn't do it and neither did Turd Elway. But, Joe Montana did & so did Tom Brady, and now Mahomes joins their ranks in that regard.

Defensively, the Chiefs D-Line got the better of the Colts O-Line when it counted the most & the young DB's, Ward and Lucas were major difference makers.

One thing I noticed that was different from all the playoff losses prior to today -- this time it was the enemy kicker that couldn't put the ball through the uprights, instead of the Chiefs kicker.
    A lot of things that have haunted us in playoff games were on the other side today. The missed Field goals were 1 roughing the punter that extended a drive is something that would have happened to us. We have lost that game the Colts lost today. I am very glad that we are on this side now
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    A lot of things that have haunted us in playoff games were on the other side today. The missed Field goals were 1 roughing the punter that extended a drive is something that would have happened to us. We have lost that game the Colts lost today. I am very glad that we are on this side now
    Exactly. The worm finally turned & it was WAY overdue. It should have turned in 1997, but Marty gave it away to Turd Elway.

And see my previous post about the snow.

0*

Mahomes broke the curse. He is definitely the Team MVP. But i think the biggest thing today from an offense stand point is Williams showed other teams they have to respect our run game once again and thats huge. Also on defense really stepped up mainly dline line and OLB's. Also Ward keeps improving. Lucas also improved. Qhen Berry does start make kt Berry and Lucas as starters

Just a little more thought

It's amazing that Mahomes is doing what he's doing. And not just with his arm. He made a huge difference getting the Colts to jump offsides time and time again. Doing this type of stuff at such a young age is just not something that happens a lot.

The Chiefs were among the most penalized teams in the regular season. They didn't have that problem today. Coaches really got their messages through to the guys this week. And it's going to have to keep up going forward.

They have said Arrowhead is a tough place to play. I think whoever comes in next week is going to get an even tougher place. The truth is there were a lot of us nervous Chiefs fans going into this. We all know why. That has been lifted now. We might hear an even louder and more excited Arrowhead next week.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Just a little more thought

It's amazing that Mahomes is doing what he's doing. And not just with his arm. He made a huge difference getting the Colts to jump offsides time and time again. Doing this type of stuff at such a young age is just not something that happens a lot.

The Chiefs were among the most penalized teams in the regular season. They didn't have that problem today. Coaches really got their messages through to the guys this week. And it's going to have to keep up going forward.

They have said Arrowhead is a tough place to play. I think whoever comes in next week is going to get an even tougher place. The truth is there were a lot of us nervous Chiefs fans going into this. We all know why. That has been lifted now. We might hear an even louder and more excited Arrowhead next week.
    No doubt that the apprehension going into this game was clearly JUSTIFIABLE, as this team was coming into today's game haunted by a troublesome past. That past, however did NOT include Mahomes as the Chiefs starting QB. That past, did include a lot of bizzarre events combined with a lot of rotten luck. I know, because I saw all of it starting with that lousy stinking '71 Christmas day game.

This time, this 2018 squad was READY & today they just employed, for the most part, just sound and basic fundamental football to get off of the schnide. Today's win was huge because it is a major confidence builder going forward.

After all these years, it's happening. We are playing for the Lamar Hunt trophy next week, at Arrowhead. It's been a long time coming - makes me think of the fans from the Stram era that have stuck by this team, all the Marty-era fans that stuck by it, and all the fans that Chiefscrowd has gathered along the way from all over the globe...It's really happening.

Today's game was awesome. D showed up with a chip on their shoulder, and really played well. They interviewed Dee Ford after the game and he said that the D really started coming together during the Raiders game. Going by the results I'm inclined to agree. Our guys are looking for the ball now, and are getting their assignments a lot better. Sutton called a really good game.

Offensively, the passing game was great in the first half. The play that had two screens going on at the same time was absolutely awesome. As the game went on think the Colts began to get a handle on it, and as a result began to get to Mahomes a little better. Having Sammy Watkins back was great.

What sealed the deal for us was how our run game was able to keep getting first downs and keep the clock winding down. We gave the Colts very little time to work with at all.

Awesome game all around. Folks, we're going to the AFC championship game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast