Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2018-19 Chiefs

Default The 2018-19 Chiefs

At the start of the year, I don't think that anyone on here had us in the AFC championship game and OT of the AFC championship game at that. It had the horrible ending that we are all used to but it was an amazing year.

The offense was just simply amazing. Mahomes past anyone's test in his first year starting. He is the MVP and he earned every bit of it. I think if I told anyone that he would throw 30tds and the Chiefs would go 9-7 back in July we would all have signed up for that in a heartbeat. And he did far more than that. Ended the home playoff drought again I think that we would have all signed up for that in July. This isn't the same old Chiefs. This team grew with a young FRANCHISE level QB. And like I have said a few times throughout the year he's going to get better. He has the work ethic and desire he's going to grow and we are going to see an even better Mahomes next season. I don't know if he can throw 50tds all year. But we are going to see a better Patrick Mahomes next year and that's reason to believe this is going to be perhaps the best string of football that we have seen from this team.

Where the offense needs to get better is O line. Mahomes had to run for his life way to much this year. Sure some of those highlights plays that amazed us all came from that. But we just can't have him running for his life as much every year. Sooner or later that's going to catch up with him. They don't need a complete overhaul but they do need some touch ups for sure.

The defense. I have very little good to say about them. The level of play that we saw from them was unacceptable. I did not understand why they brought Bob Sutton back after last year and I am even more upset that Reid chose to now. Or didn't fire him during the year. It clearly needed to be done. The players have to accept a good portion of the blame but Bob Sutton is their leader. He is the one that is supposed to get the guys to learn from their mistakes and I just didn't see that at all.

Where the D can improve is hard to say. I continue to maintain that the players based on the gameplan were not put in the best position to succeed as a unit. I think the area in the most need is the secondary or the LBS. But for this defense to get better they have to make a move at the DC spot. We just can't bring Sutton back. He just isn't going to get the job done.

Coaching This might just be the feelings coming soon after the AFC title game loss. But if I were to give them a grade it would be a B. Nothing more. And that's just not because of Bob Sutton. I saw these guys make the same mistakes OVER AND OVER again. They would get called for the same type of penalties OVER and OVER again. This means the coaches failed to stress these points enough that the players got the message. This team fell in the AFC title game at home and having more weapons than the Patriots. I was saying last year the Chiefs should move on from Andy Reid and the latest postseason failure leaves me in the same spot. I just can't say that I trust he's going to learn from this. 21 years of failure hasn't taught him why would this one. But lets face it he'll be back. So it is what it is.

Overall there's a lot to be proud of this year. We achieved more then what many thought we would this season. We have confirmed that Mahomes is going to be a QB that other teams are going to have to deal with for a long time. But I'm left with an empty feeling. I know the Chiefs should have won that AFC title game. I shouldn't be typing this we should be talking about the Chiefs finally making the Super Bowl. But I'll say this. Mahome just about overcame what held us back in his 1st year. He was so freaking close. A better Patrick Mahomes will make this team a super bowl contender. This team is going to be around for a while. I am just sick of the endings we have become all to use to.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

It was a year that exceeded expectations & our new QB far exceeded anyone's expectations and it is a good thing he did because without him, this team is drafting in the top 10, as the Defense was that bad.

We need to do/make some serious changes with our defense! The defense has hurt us all year. Now, our pass rush is and has been pretty decent........but, our pass coverage and run/rush defense is not good at all. I'm not a Bob Sutton fan at all!!!!

Ive just read were Mahomes is in line for a $200 million contract in 2020 and we might be drafting a WR in round 1 in the latest mock draft to replace Conley that i Read

First off, thanks to everyone at CC for making this a fun season. Wish ctc could've seen this.

To the OP - Mahomes' effect on KC has been absolutely amazing. Like you stated I expected to see a lot of TD's, but nowhere near 50. Also expected to see a lot of INT's but we were really spared from that. Did not expect to see a 12-4 finish this year. What's great about all of this, we are just beginning. Other teams with "elite" QB's are at the ends of their runs. Rivers, Brees, Brady...these guys are at the tail ends of their careers. Mahomes still has room to improve, imagine what the guy will be like if he develops more finesse in his passing, develops into throwing into tighter windows and learns how to work the pocket better. My guess is from here on out, talent scouts will be scouring future baseball shortstops to see if anyone has Mahomes' arm.

My guess is that next April the front office would definitely look to adding some O-line prospects, a big WR, and possibly an RB to help fill Hunt's vacated spot. Outside of that, if it ain't broken, don't "fix" it.

Defense. We need a complete overhaul of the secondary. The only three I'd consider keeping is Sorenson, Lucas and Ward. This is where the bulk of our off-season focus should be. Guys that don't look for the ball and grab and drag on WR's should be things of the past from here on out.

Big question is will this team & its coaches have any resolve going into next season? Will they be able to use it as a springboard to come back and have a better season next year? We'll have to wait and see.

the CHIEFS did indeed far exceed my expectations in the beginning of the season....but unfortunately that allowed me to get my hopes up to high only to half them crushed once more. I haven't posted here or anywhere in a long time. since the 2013 gutwrenching playoff loss I have tried not to let myself get my hopes up too high or too emotionally invested. this year however I let myself get caught up after the rams game and thought , hey this team is pretty damn good. we have a real shot. then we broke the curse, I was sure we were headed for the super bowl. I knew we could beat either the chargers or pats at home. what I don't understand is what happened to the pass rush....no pressure on brady all game. how did belichik scheme that. if we think of all the chances we had to beat them, the missed opportunities and miscues, bad calls etc... we are every bit as good as the patriots...maybe better. Thomas wide open for TD, Hill open for TD, Berry dropped int, the muffed? punt [not clear it did not touch bicep or if let roll would have been inside 10yd line], bogus ruffing call, dee offside, lost timeout on stupid challenge, uncharacteristic crappy start to game. like every other end of the season we always say "wait next year", maybe this year it really means something"
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

We need to fix our secondary this off-season.
    SHUT IT

Brady alexsmithed us to death with the dink and dunk/quick release game.
    SHUT IT

I still can't help but wonder what might have been if #27 hadn't been a knucklehead off the field & got himself released.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast