Thread: Recapping the Championship season

Default Recapping the Championship season

Normally I do this a day after a season ending loss. Still heartbroken over a loss. Still doesn't seem real to be doing this after our Chiefs won the Super Bowl

Offense. They didn't put up the unreal numbers that they did a year ago. I don't think that surprises everyone. Last years offense just isn't going to happen every year. Teams made adjustments. They did things to take away the deep ball or at least limit the deep ball. But here's the crazy thing it made them better. Sure they didn't have Mahomes throw the 50 touchdowns. But it helped them control the game more. They just simply moved down the field slower. And when they REALLY REALLY needed that down the field game they found a way to get it done more often then not. They were limited by injuries much of the season. You have to remember Mahomes was shaken up in the very 1st game of the season. Also they lost their number 1 WR for a few weeks in the first game of the season. That had a huge role in why the numbers were not as good as they were a year ago. But this offense is going to be special for a while. Hill is locked up. Hardman has a couple of years on his rookie deal. Kelce has a couple years left on his deal. Folks for this offense it's just the beginning for this offense. It's to early to say they will be a dynasty but you can see why some might think that. Bottom line this team has the best chance to repeat since the last time the Pats did it years ago.

Defense. It took me a while to think what exactly I wanted to say here. They still had many issues. But there was one MAJOR difference. Leadership. COACHING to be exact. After the Chiefs finally sent Bob Sutton packing you heard a lot from players about his lack of just that. I screamed about it all last year. Enter Steve Spagnuolo. A proven DC. I have spent many years on this board talking about coaching and how it's the biggest thing in football just ahead of QB. I think this proves my point. The job that Spaggs did was just outstanding. ESPN had a graphic up this morning about the post season run. Teams scored early on us. But then Spaggs found what they were doing to get those points and put a stop to it. The leadership from the players that we brought in was also key. You didn't have many players ever step up last year and do anything. That wasn't the case. This group said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and they would put a stop to it. Sure they had growing pains. But the defense is a major reason why this team won the Super Bowl. I don't think anyone expected to be able to say that a year ago.

Coaching. I have been as I think we all know a major critic of Andy Reid. I asked him to please shut me up. And Mr.Reid did just that. I never hated Andy unlike what many would think. In fact part of me was damn proud he was our coach from the way he handled everything with class. The man has been through a lot and I am extremely happy for him to after 2 decades finally get that ring. Much deserved ring at that. I commented on his flaws as a coach. And sometimes in life you are just proven wrong. This is one of those times for me. And you know what it feels damn good to have been wrong. THANK YOU ANDY REID. Thank you for ending not only the playoff drought but the Super Bowl drought. Thank you for bringing both the Lamar Hunt and Vince trophies to Kansas City.

I don't think I can do this without also giving a major shout out to Brett Veach. He was very aggressive in making move to fix the defense and they paid off big time. He was one of the first scouts at the time to turn the franchise on to Patrick Mahomes. I was very upset and shocked the day I read that the Chiefs fired John Dorsey. But now we all see they knew what they were doing. Dorsey is still a very good GM IMO and had a major hand in building this championship team. But Veach was in shorter time just as much to credit for this. We are in good hands.

One last shout out to Alex Smith. Over the past week I read a story on how he came close to death due to an infection with his injury. Alex wasn't a championship level QB. But a damn good man. And without him holding down the fort and giving us many good seasons this doesn't happen. I don't think Mahomes would have had this success if he walked into the offense that Alex first did. And in the one year Patrick sat behind him Patrick will tell you he learned a lot from Alex Smith. It would be my hope they give him an honorary ring. He was a part of what this team was able to build.

We all have our stories following this team. We have been through the heartbreaks. In the past few hours I have come to realize I am glad all that happened. It made this payoff feel all that much better. Now we head into the offseason being what all 31 other teams wish they were. But keep in mind now the target is on our backs. I don't know if this team will repeat but I know the ride next season is going to be a fun one. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

For me, the season's turning point came at the bye week. In the game against the Raiders, I was able to watch that game while on holiday in Pa. & it was then that I suspected that they had a chance to make a run at the SB.

Let give a big THANK YOU to the Miami Dolphins & their great effort to upset NE in the season final, as it gave the Chiefs a bye & signaled that good fortune might be on KC's side this time around.

The 2019 season turned into an unforgettable special season for KC. Enjoy it & embrace the culmination of the 2019 season ending with a Super Bowl victory while you can for awhile. Next season will come around quickly.

Speaking of next season. A word of warning, approach it with caution & a 'wait and see' perspective. I was there at the time when the Chiefs won SB 4 after the 1969 season & let me tell you the 1970 season that followed for KC was a difference of night and day -- almost like stepping from Utopia into a bad side of the Twilight Zone. The spark that had moved the Chiefs in 1969 wasn't there in 1970 & looking back on it now, it does seem like the Chiefs 1970 season had already ended to a degree with their SB 4 win in January of that same year. There is nowhere to go except down once you reach the pinnacle.

So once again, thanks 2019 Kansas City Chiefs for giving us this GREAT season and capturing the big prize.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 02-03-2020 at 10:51 PM.

Hopefully we can hold onto Breeland and Suggs