Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steroids

Default Steroids

I know everyone is probably sick to death of hearing about steroids by now, but I was thinking today about it and I think I have a solution to the steroid problem.

Let everyone do them.

Every team in every sport could have a doctor that would over see the administration of the steroids for that team. I did a little research on the internet tonight about steroids and it isn't the steroids themselves that screw up the players so much as the abuse of steroids. A player will start bulking up and think "well, if this amount helps me, doubling it will double the results", when they start thinking along these lines, that's when they start hurting themselves. Most players realize that they need to take extremely good care of their bodies and if they were monitored and educated on steroids, I think it would be better than just letting them take it into their own hands.

I know there are people who are going to be going on about maintaining the purity of sports, but as long as their has been sports, I'm sure people have been looking for a leg up. I read a story one time about a famous baseball player, I think Babe Ruth but I can't remember for sure, that would drink a ton of coffee before each game because he thought it gave him a competitive advantage. Obviously, drinking all that coffee didn't help him, but he was looking for some kind of drug, in this case caffeine, that would help him perform better physically. We can all look back on the "Glory Days" of any sport and wish sports nowadays were like that, but the fact is simple, Players in the "Glory Days" didn't take steroids because they weren't available. Period.

Now, bash away.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Don't be shy.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    I know everyone is probably sick to death of hearing about steroids by now, but I was thinking today about it and I think I have a solution to the steroid problem.

Let everyone do them.

Every team in every sport could have a doctor that would over see the administration of the steroids for that team. I did a little research on the internet tonight about steroids and it isn't the steroids themselves that screw up the players so much as the abuse of steroids. A player will start bulking up and think "well, if this amount helps me, doubling it will double the results", when they start thinking along these lines, that's when they start hurting themselves. Most players realize that they need to take extremely good care of their bodies and if they were monitored and educated on steroids, I think it would be better than just letting them take it into their own hands.

I know there are people who are going to be going on about maintaining the purity of sports, but as long as their has been sports, I'm sure people have been looking for a leg up. I read a story one time about a famous baseball player, I think Babe Ruth but I can't remember for sure, that would drink a ton of coffee before each game because he thought it gave him a competitive advantage. Obviously, drinking all that coffee didn't help him, but he was looking for some kind of drug, in this case caffeine, that would help him perform better physically. We can all look back on the "Glory Days" of any sport and wish sports nowadays were like that, but the fact is simple, Players in the "Glory Days" didn't take steroids because they weren't available. Period.

Now, bash away.
    I believe in peoples freedoms to choose for themselves. So I agree to a certain degree on this matter.

One major problem with the theory is that if the "pros" are using steroids, then, in order to be ready fro the professional level, college players will feel the need to use steroids.

Then, if college atheletes are using them, high-school atheletes will also need to be using them, so that they are ready to compete with the much bigger, stronger college atheletes.

And, of course, it stretches on down to Pop-Warner football.

If it is widely accepted for the professional level, then younger players will feel the need to gain that same kind of advantage.

And, while it may not be as dangerous to adults as it once was, it is still very unhealthy for a nuturally developing body.

Sure, you could try to control it like tobacco and alcohol, but how well is that working? And would we rather have this issue among adults, or shift it to children?

I'll do some more research, but you know as well as I do that there is college and high school players already taking steroids. But, no, I don't think anyone below the Pro level should be able to take them. Just like no one below the age of 21 should be able to drink. Of course, being kids there will be some that will try to obtain them anyway, but it shouldn't be legal for them.

I just think that making that product even more mainstream will increase the problems with underaged users.

But again, I really support individuals' freedom of choice.

I guess the way I look at it is, any athlete in any sport is going to try to find an edge. Some will use steroids no matter what the laws or rules in their sport are. At least if they were prescribed and monitored they might not hurt their bodies as bad. Still, I am talking about the professional level. Their are tons of things someone under 22 shouldn't be allowed to do. LOL
    Last edited by prough91; 12-07-2007 at 07:50 AM. Reason: didn't like one of the words i used

A well thought out point of view, one of which we will have to agree to disagree on; just primarily on principle. It does have merit in many circles though; it is much the same argument currently being made in an attempt to legalize marijuana - of which I also disagree with for the same reason.

Nice sig BTW. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    A well thought out point of view, one of which we will have to agree to disagree on; just primarily on principle. It does have merit in many circles though; it is much the same argument currently being made in an attempt to legalize marijuana - of which I also disagree with for the same reason.

Nice sig BTW. :)
    I will not even tell you how long it took to make that!

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I believe in peoples freedoms to choose for themselves. So I agree to a certain degree on this matter.

One major problem with the theory is that if the "pros" are using steroids, then, in order to be ready fro the professional level, college players will feel the need to use steroids.

Then, if college atheletes are using them, high-school atheletes will also need to be using them, so that they are ready to compete with the much bigger, stronger college atheletes.

And, of course, it stretches on down to Pop-Warner football.

If it is widely accepted for the professional level, then younger players will feel the need to gain that same kind of advantage.

And, while it may not be as dangerous to adults as it once was, it is still very unhealthy for a nuturally developing body.

Sure, you could try to control it like tobacco and alcohol, but how well is that working? And would we rather have this issue among adults, or shift it to children?
    WOW something we absolutely agree 100%, I was going to say the same thing but this saved me finding the words. REP.

I believe in personal choices, however I also have concerns about the issue bleeding down to college and high school more than it already has. I would suggest that if the NFL/MLB/NBA etc. were to allow the regulation of these substances, then they should also assist the school systems below them in the testing of them. For example the need to test the Chiefs players is now reduced because we know they're "juicing" but take the funds that were used to test them, and help high schools test their players in an effort to further ensure that the issue is being taken care of at the high school level.

I know high school kids are using steroids, because they were 15 years ago. It wasn't very common, but I knew a couple guys who did.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast