Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire after another neck injury

Unhappy Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire after another neck injury

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Banged-up Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire
    By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes is expected to retire after suffering another neck injury Sunday and meeting with doctors this week. An announcement could come as early as Wednesday.

One source familiar with the situation said Tuesday night: "He is retiring for sure. Noon press conference on Wednesday."

However, a Chiefs spokesman denied that and said that Holmes still is weighing his options.

A three-time Pro Bowler, Holmes was one of the league's top running backs from 2001-05, rushing for almost 6,000 yards and scoring a then-record 27 touchdowns in 2003. His career appeared to be over when he sustained neck and spinal injuries during a game at San Diego in October 2005 and spent the next two years completely away from the game.

But he called the Chiefs shortly before they went to training camp in July and told them he had seen himself in a dream playing football again and wanted to stage a comeback.

Holmes capped a remarkable comeback story when he was activated in Week 7 against the Oakland Raiders. Holmes made two recent starts for the Chiefs and gained 137 yards on 46 attempts in four games.

Holmes would retire as the Chiefs' all-time leading rusher with 6,070 yards. He has rushed for 8,172 yards in his 11-year career with Baltimore and Kansas City.

The Chiefs, who traded running back Michael Bennett to Tampa Bay last month and possibly lost Larry Johnson for the season with a mysterious foot injury, could turn to rookie Kolby Smith to start against the Raiders on Sunday. Smith, a fifth-round selection out of Louisville, has rushed for 19 yards on 10 attempts this season.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Posted: 6 minutes ago
    Three-time Pro Bowl running back Holmes retires from NFL

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Priest Holmes retired on Wednesday, ending a short comeback hailed as one of the most improbable in NFL history.
    Jamie Squire / Getty ImagesPriest Holmes played in four games in his return to the Chiefs, making two starts.
    The 34-year-old three-time Pro Bowl running back was injured in Kansas City's loss to Indianapolis on Sunday. He was out of football for 22 months after sustaining head and neck injuries in a game in October 2005. But he showed up in the Chiefs' training camp in July saying he had seen himself in a dream playing football.
    "I have truly been blessed with the opportunity to play in the National Football League," he said. "I will be forever grateful to the Hunt family and the Chiefs organization for the opportunity to come to Kansas City, where the community embraced me from day one."
    Working hard to get back in shape, Holmes started the last two games in place of Larry Johnson, who will be out again this week with a foot injury. Kolby Smith, a rookie who has only a few carries this year, will likely start for the Chiefs (4-6) against Oakland.
    The team announced Holmes' retirement in a statement before a planned news conference.
    "In the business of the NFL we are privileged to sometimes be in the presence of a magnificent athlete," Chiefs President Carl Peterson stated. “We’re also privileged to sometimes be in the presence of a magnificent person. Priest Holmes exemplifies both individuals. Priest has given this organization all he could possibly give. He has been an outstanding player, teammate and contributor on and off the field. Thank you is never enough to a player like Priest Holmes. We, at the Chiefs, sincerely appreciate all his contributions to this franchise and wish he and his family the best. Priest Holmes will always be a Kansas City Chief."
    Holmes is the Chiefs' all-time rushing leader with 6,070 yards and accumulated 8,172 career yards rushing in 11 seasons with Baltimore and Kansas City.
    Holmes' was The Associated Press offensive player of the year after rushing for 1,615 yards in just 14 games in 2002. In one season, he set the then-NFL record with 27 touchdowns. The mark has since been broken.
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Thanks for the memories Priest!

I wondered about him after he received his original injury, wondering if he would ever come back.. It's too bad, he's such a great RB.

Priest Holmes= my favorite Chiefs RB.. ever.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    Well this certainly is a crappy end to the season. Both star RB's out. I don't think LJ is coming back this season. His injury is worse than they are letting on. Plus, they should just keep him out to fully recover for next season. This season is over folks. No running game and a head coach who won't let his QB throw. This blows! My new season prediction is 6-10.
    WE NEVER HAD A RUNNIG GAME THIS YEAR SO NO LOSS IN MY EYES THERE. BUT THE LOSS OF PRIEST IS A BIG LOSS BECAUSE OF THEY TYPE OF PLAYER THAT HE WAS VS LJ ****Y ATTITUDE. THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORIES PRIEST!

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEFS_FN_ROCK View Post
    WE NEVER HAD A RUNNIG GAME THIS YEAR SO NO LOSS IN MY EYES THERE. BUT THE LOSS OF PRIEST IS A BIG LOSS BECAUSE OF THEY TYPE OF PLAYER THAT HE WAS VS LJ ****Y ATTITUDE. THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORIES PRIEST!
    Your sig is hilarious!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! MY EYES!

Default kcchief.com article

RB Priest Holmes Concludes Record-Setting NFL Career

Nov 21, 2007, 12:18:00 PM

Holmes officially announced his retirement from the National Football League on Wednesday. Holmes concludes his illustrious playing career owning nine Chiefs career records and eight Chiefs single-season records. Arguably the most productive all-around offensive performer in the 48-year history of the franchise, Holmes walks away from the game as Kansas City’s all-time leader in rushing yards (6,070), rushing touchdowns (76) and total touchdowns (83). Holmes accumulated 8,172 career rushing yards in 11 seasons with Baltimore (’97-00) and Kansas City (2001-07), the highest total by any undrafted player since the AFL-NFL merger.
    “I have truly been blessed with the opportunity to play in the National Football League,” Holmes commented. “I will be forever grateful to the Hunt Family and the Chiefs organization for the opportunity to come to Kansas City, where the community embraced me from day one. I have been humbled by the tremendous support that I have received from Chiefs fans over the years. I was grateful to be part of a Super Bowl team in Baltimore, but I will always fondly remember my time in Kansas City and the many great players and coaches that provided me an opportunity to be successful.”
    “In the business of the NFL we are privileged to sometimes be in the presence of a magnificent athlete,” Chiefs President Carl Peterson stated. “We’re also privileged to sometimes be in the presence of a magnificent person. Priest Holmes exemplifies both individuals. Priest has given this organization all he could possibly give. He has been an outstanding player, teammate and contributor on and off the field. Thank you is never enough to a player like Priest Holmes. We, at the Chiefs, sincerely appreciate all his contributions to this franchise and wish he and his family the best. Priest Holmes will always be a Kansas City Chief.”
    Holmes played in 65 regular season games with 63 starts for Kansas City. He was named the NFL Offensive Player of the Year by the Associated Press after producing 1,615 rushing yards in just 14 games in 2002. Holmes became just the third Chiefs player to lead the league in rushing when he racked up 1,555 yards during his debut campaign with Kansas City in 2001. In addition to his rushing exploits, Holmes also caught 246 passes for 2,360 yards (9.6 avg.) with seven TDs. He ranks first in team history with 1,521 touches from scrimmage and is second in team annals with 24 career 100-yard rushing games. He also started a postseason contest vs. Indianapolis (1/11/04), rushing 24 times and setting Chiefs single-game postseason records with 176 yards and two TDs. He finished the day with 208 combined net yards from scrimmage, the third-highest tally in Chiefs postseason history.
    Since joining the Chiefs as an unrestricted free agent in 2001, Holmes averaged a league-high 130.0 scrimmage yards per game and ranked second in the NFL by averaging 93.4 rushing yards per game. Holmes scored 83 touchdowns since 2001-05, the second-highest total in the NFL during that time span. He scored 62 rushing touchdowns from 2002-04, the second-best three-year total in NFL history. Holmes owns a host of Chiefs single-season records, including marks for points (162 in 2003), receptions by a running back (74 in 2003) and yards from scrimmage (2,287 in 2002).
    In total, Holmes saw action in 113 career regular season games (82 starts) with Baltimore (’97-00) and Kansas City (2001-07), carrying the ball 1,780 times for 8,172 yards (4.6 avg.) with 86 TDs and caught 339 passes for 2,962 yards (8.7 avg.) with eight scores. Holmes also saw duty in five playoff contests (two starts), rushing 42 times for 221 yards (5.3 avg.) with two TDs and captained a Baltimore squad that captured a victory in Super Bowl XXXV vs. the N.Y. Giants.
    Holmes entered the league as a rookie free agent with Baltimore in ‘97 after a stellar collegiate career at the University of Texas. The San Antonio prep product was recently enshrined in the University of Texas Hall of Honor earlier this year after registering 252 carries for 1,276 yards (5.1 avg.) with 20 TDs during his career with the Longhorns. He enrolled at Texas after starring at Marshall High School in San Antonio.
    Related:
    Priest Holmes Photo Gallery
    Priest Holmes Career
    Career Retrospective (PDF)

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/11...ng_nfl_career/
    Last edited by Chiefster; 11-21-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Your sig is hilarious!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! MY EYES!
    Im a Chubby chaser...lol gotta love the faderetts!

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEFS_FN_ROCK View Post
    Im a Chubby chaser...lol gotta love the faderetts!
    Heh....I thought that was Warren Sapp

I was just looking at some pics and priest was a WORK HORSE!!! What a Class act he was. I was thinking to myself and saying i never heard him complain and not once did i ever see him get mad and throw the ball..LJ TAKE SOME NOTES!!! Heres the link i was looking at. im not smart enough to figure out how to put them on here so here it is http://www.kcchiefs.com/gallery/2007...riest_holmes/2

Yes Priest is a class act.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast