Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire after another neck injury

Unhappy Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire after another neck injury

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Banged-up Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire
    By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes is expected to retire after suffering another neck injury Sunday and meeting with doctors this week. An announcement could come as early as Wednesday.

One source familiar with the situation said Tuesday night: "He is retiring for sure. Noon press conference on Wednesday."

However, a Chiefs spokesman denied that and said that Holmes still is weighing his options.

A three-time Pro Bowler, Holmes was one of the league's top running backs from 2001-05, rushing for almost 6,000 yards and scoring a then-record 27 touchdowns in 2003. His career appeared to be over when he sustained neck and spinal injuries during a game at San Diego in October 2005 and spent the next two years completely away from the game.

But he called the Chiefs shortly before they went to training camp in July and told them he had seen himself in a dream playing football again and wanted to stage a comeback.

Holmes capped a remarkable comeback story when he was activated in Week 7 against the Oakland Raiders. Holmes made two recent starts for the Chiefs and gained 137 yards on 46 attempts in four games.

Holmes would retire as the Chiefs' all-time leading rusher with 6,070 yards. He has rushed for 8,172 yards in his 11-year career with Baltimore and Kansas City.

The Chiefs, who traded running back Michael Bennett to Tampa Bay last month and possibly lost Larry Johnson for the season with a mysterious foot injury, could turn to rookie Kolby Smith to start against the Raiders on Sunday. Smith, a fifth-round selection out of Louisville, has rushed for 19 yards on 10 attempts this season.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Polleo Pit Man View Post
    Originally Posted by Guru

Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes is expected to retire after suffering another neck injury Sunday and meeting with doctors this week. An announcement could come as early as Wednesday.

One source familiar with the situation said Tuesday night: "He is retiring for sure. Noon press conference on Wednesday."

However, a Chiefs spokesman denied that and said that Holmes still is weighing his options.

A three-time Pro Bowler, Holmes was one of the league's top running backs from 2001-05, rushing for almost 6,000 yards and scoring a then-record 27 touchdowns in 2003. His career appeared to be over when he sustained neck and spinal injuries during a game at San Diego in October 2005 and spent the next two years completely away from the game.

But he called the Chiefs shortly before they went to training camp in July and told them he had seen himself in a dream playing football again and wanted to stage a comeback.

Holmes capped a remarkable comeback story when he was activated in Week 7 against the Oakland Raiders. Holmes made two recent starts for the Chiefs and gained 137 yards on 46 attempts in four games.

Holmes would retire as the Chiefs' all-time leading rusher with 6,070 yards. He has rushed for 8,172 yards in his 11-year career with Baltimore and Kansas City.

The Chiefs, who traded running back Michael Bennett to Tampa Bay last month and possibly lost Larry Johnson for the season with a mysterious foot injury, could turn to rookie Kolby Smith to start against the Raiders on Sunday. Smith, a fifth-round selection out of Louisville, has rushed for 19 yards on 10 attempts this season.
    Originally Posted by Guru

what the heck?

Quote Originally Posted by bryonc View Post
    Realistically Herm, Priest or whoever decided that it was a good idea to trade Bennett because Priest was coming back screwed the Chiefs. I was happy to see Priest try to come back, but I also was scared this time would come. I feel that now maybe he should not have come back, he left before because of an injury but he left at the top of his game, now that he came back and had limited success his final two games, he kinda went out worse then before.

I hope Kolby Smith can step up, but it really doesn't matter at this point it seems the season is really over. Without a running back with any experience whatsoever this team is screwed. And now to add to that Croyle is going to look bad because he is going to have to throw much much more, maybe we can get Ricky Williams, regardless this is far worse news then losing Eddie Kennison at the beginning of the season. If Priest went out while LJ was healthy then it would be another story, but if LJ cant go and Priest retires. Man this sucks. Also without a running back to speak of Herm will be able to play the its not my fault card to keep his job. Hope Priest isnt hurt to bad but man this team is.
    I am going to call it right now, if Priest retires and LJ stays out, and the Chiefs win the division without picking up a running back then truly Herm would be coach of the year. How are you guys that were happy LJ was injured feeling now.

4th Pick in the draft could be a possibility now. Kansas City You are on the clock.
    I don't believe you even get a draft pick if a player dies. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, because I'm not sure. If that's the case, how would we get a draft pick for someone retiring?

One question I do have, though. LJ is injured. Priest is retiring. Smith is starting. Who's our backup?
    Everything happens for a reason.

We'll probably just throw someone in if Kolby gets injured.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

It's sad that Priest got hurt again and will have to retire. I'm glad to see him attempt to make a comeback and at least try. You have to give him credit for taking such a big risk. But it is probably best for him to leave now so he doesn't get injured to the point where he could be paralyzed. Thanks for the memories Priest.

That Michael Vick pic is a classic.
    www.AAASportsMemorabilia.com
    Home of Great Sports Memorabilia

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Quote Originally Posted by luv View Post
    I don't believe you even get a draft pick if a player dies. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, because I'm not sure. If that's the case, how would we get a draft pick for someone retiring?

One question I do have, though. LJ is injured. Priest is retiring. Smith is starting. Who's our backup?
    No I was saying that it is likely that we will now have the 4th worst record in the league. Miami isn't going to win 4, Jets may not either right now they are 2-8 but the do play us later this year. Raiders - Rams - San Fran all also 2-8, Raiders we play this week but they may not win another one, and dont know about Rams and San Fran. Falcons are at 3-7, as are the Bungles. I dont know about ATL but I would imagine that the Bungles will win at least a couple more. If we hit the skids now and dont win again, (which where I am right now I am predicting and I dont like it here) I am thinking it is possible that we end up with the 4th pick.

Problem is there are so many very bad teams we might still end up with a 7 or lower pick. With that I am saying Kansas City You are on the clock.

We dont even have a running back on the practice squad. Looks like we put all our eggs in the Priest Holmes basket, and now that basket has been destroyed, and the eggs along with it. Chiefs I would like you to meet Ben Dover.

We do have a fullback on the practice squad that has been a tailback some and has some catches. Also we could put Drummond in there, HA HA HA. Why is it raining in our house on Raiders week. It never rains on Raiders week. But it is pouring now.

Quote Originally Posted by bryonc View Post
    We do have a fullback on the practice squad that has been a tailback some and has some catches. Also we could put Drummond in there, HA HA HA. Why is it raining in our house on Raiders week. It never rains on Raiders week. But it is pouring now.

who was that running back that played for the packers last year when all their runningbacks were injured? yeah, we will probably pick up that guy. he is terrible.

Well this certainly is a crappy end to the season. Both star RB's out. I don't think LJ is coming back this season. His injury is worse than they are letting on. Plus, they should just keep him out to fully recover for next season. This season is over folks. No running game and a head coach who won't let his QB throw. This blows! My new season prediction is 6-10.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    Well this certainly is a crappy end to the season. Both star RB's out. I don't think LJ is coming back this season. His injury is worse than they are letting on. Plus, they should just keep him out to fully recover for next season. This season is over folks. No running game and a head coach who won't let his QB throw. This blows! My new season prediction is 6-10.
    Mine: 4-12

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast