Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire after another neck injury

Unhappy Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire after another neck injury

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Banged-up Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire
    By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes is expected to retire after suffering another neck injury Sunday and meeting with doctors this week. An announcement could come as early as Wednesday.

One source familiar with the situation said Tuesday night: "He is retiring for sure. Noon press conference on Wednesday."

However, a Chiefs spokesman denied that and said that Holmes still is weighing his options.

A three-time Pro Bowler, Holmes was one of the league's top running backs from 2001-05, rushing for almost 6,000 yards and scoring a then-record 27 touchdowns in 2003. His career appeared to be over when he sustained neck and spinal injuries during a game at San Diego in October 2005 and spent the next two years completely away from the game.

But he called the Chiefs shortly before they went to training camp in July and told them he had seen himself in a dream playing football again and wanted to stage a comeback.

Holmes capped a remarkable comeback story when he was activated in Week 7 against the Oakland Raiders. Holmes made two recent starts for the Chiefs and gained 137 yards on 46 attempts in four games.

Holmes would retire as the Chiefs' all-time leading rusher with 6,070 yards. He has rushed for 8,172 yards in his 11-year career with Baltimore and Kansas City.

The Chiefs, who traded running back Michael Bennett to Tampa Bay last month and possibly lost Larry Johnson for the season with a mysterious foot injury, could turn to rookie Kolby Smith to start against the Raiders on Sunday. Smith, a fifth-round selection out of Louisville, has rushed for 19 yards on 10 attempts this season.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Priest is doing the smart thing here I think; he's walking away from the game with dignity.
    I agree, he has a family to think about!

Quote Originally Posted by springchief View Post
    ...Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!!!!!
    Cindy
    Back at ya kiddo!

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEFS_FN_ROCK View Post
    WE NEVER HAD A RUNNIG GAME THIS YEAR SO NO LOSS IN MY EYES THERE. BUT THE LOSS OF PRIEST IS A BIG LOSS BECAUSE OF THEY TYPE OF PLAYER THAT HE WAS VS LJ ****Y ATTITUDE. THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORIES PRIEST!
    After being away all day and coming back to read these posts I am disgusted.

This is the first word of sanity I have heard all day.

So every one is giving up on the Chiefs?

Perhaps this situation will force Herm to throw the ball to DBo and TG more often.

Then it will open the running game for any ol' back.

If he doesn't do that he (probably already is) be the laughing stock of his profession.

Surprise Herm destroyed another offensive players career.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post

Perhaps this situation will force Herm to throw the ball to DBo and TG more often.

If he doesn't do that he (probably already is) be the laughing stock of his profession.

Not everyone has given up. I'm still here!! We are only one game out of first. Kolby can run or he wouldn't be here. Lets wee what all these rookies can do!! The NFL Rookie of the week contest is gonna be filled with Chiefs next week!!

Brodie Croyle 351 yards 2 td's
    D Bowe 200+ yards receiving 1 td
    Kolby Smith 158 yards rushing 1 td

all led be hall of famer Tony Gonzalez. Don't forget to save this post boys and girls!!

Quote Originally Posted by Polleo Pit Man View Post
    I agree, he has a family to think about!

Exactly!

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

I agree he has family to think of, my biggest problem is he did this a few games too late. He had to have known he was not 100% but he either for the money, because of LJ's attitude or some other unknown reason felt he had to come back, now because of that Bennett is in Miami and the Chiefs have no running back, 10 attempts 19 yards is not a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Not everyone has given up. I'm still here!! We are only one game out of first. Kolby can run or he wouldn't be here. Lets wee what all these rookies can do!! The NFL Rookie of the week contest is gonna be filled with Chiefs next week!!

Brodie Croyle 351 yards 2 td's
    D Bowe 200+ yards receiving 1 td
    Kolby Smith 158 yards rushing 1 td

all led be hall of famer Tony Gonzalez. Don't forget to save this post boys and girls!!
    This would be nice indeed; I for one would be more then happy to, once again, dine on crow.

I'm not... I am a hopeless romantic and each week I still get my hopes up that SOMETHING miraculous will happen and the Chiefs will end up in the play offs and get on a roll and make it to the Super Bowl.

I am the person who made a deal with my husband last year mid-season that we would pull all of the money out of our kids' college accounts if the Super Bowl ended up being Bears vs Chiefs and buy tickets to the Super Bowl. The Bears held up their end of the deal, but the Chiefs did their usual choking in the playoffs and once again the kids' college savings accounts are safe!
    Maybe this year is the year that the kids will need to start planning to pay their own way to college! Quite romantic of me, dontcha think?

Quote Originally Posted by bryonc View Post
    I agree he has family to think of, my biggest problem is he did this a few games too late. He had to have known he was not 100% but he either for the money, because of LJ's attitude or some other unknown reason felt he had to come back, now because of that Bennett is in Miami and the Chiefs have no running back, 10 attempts 19 yards is not a starter.
    First....do you honestly think that Priest planned on this happening?? Did he all of a sudden decide this was the best way to screw the organization??

Second...would LJ be healthy if Priest had not returned. Would you be happy with Bennet as the started instead of in Tampa Bay?? For a guy who wanted a rookie QB in for experience, u are singin a different tune with our RB. Bennet is the Huard at RB

Third....10 attempts 19 yards is a starter on this team. Look at Priest, Lj and anyone else who starts behind this line. No one is putting up great numbers and you think that Kolby has had a chance carrying the ball 10 times. Maybe he needs the contact for a few plays before he puts up big runs. Give the kid a chance before you get down on him.

No givin up here bud!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast