Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire after another neck injury

Unhappy Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire after another neck injury

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Banged-up Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire
    By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes is expected to retire after suffering another neck injury Sunday and meeting with doctors this week. An announcement could come as early as Wednesday.

One source familiar with the situation said Tuesday night: "He is retiring for sure. Noon press conference on Wednesday."

However, a Chiefs spokesman denied that and said that Holmes still is weighing his options.

A three-time Pro Bowler, Holmes was one of the league's top running backs from 2001-05, rushing for almost 6,000 yards and scoring a then-record 27 touchdowns in 2003. His career appeared to be over when he sustained neck and spinal injuries during a game at San Diego in October 2005 and spent the next two years completely away from the game.

But he called the Chiefs shortly before they went to training camp in July and told them he had seen himself in a dream playing football again and wanted to stage a comeback.

Holmes capped a remarkable comeback story when he was activated in Week 7 against the Oakland Raiders. Holmes made two recent starts for the Chiefs and gained 137 yards on 46 attempts in four games.

Holmes would retire as the Chiefs' all-time leading rusher with 6,070 yards. He has rushed for 8,172 yards in his 11-year career with Baltimore and Kansas City.

The Chiefs, who traded running back Michael Bennett to Tampa Bay last month and possibly lost Larry Johnson for the season with a mysterious foot injury, could turn to rookie Kolby Smith to start against the Raiders on Sunday. Smith, a fifth-round selection out of Louisville, has rushed for 19 yards on 10 attempts this season.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

I applaud his effort at a come back, but the time has finally come. IMO

I guess when I posted that thread "As if things couldn't possibly get any worse..." about LJ's broken foot, I was just asking for it.

Sigh.

Well at least we started Brodie at the beginning of the season, and now we have a veteran QB to go along with our Rookie RB.

Herm, you are worse than a bad coach, you are an offensive player killer.
    Last edited by hermhater; 11-20-2007 at 11:56 PM.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Yep. Too bad it didn't work-out for him. I'm glad I got to see him play again, no matter how brief.

Appearently, he wasn't just sitting at home, "eating nachos" for two years, because he didn't want to play. Seems he had some kind of a real injury.

Sounds like he is going to be ok though.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Yep. Too bad it didn't work-out for him. I'm glad I got to see him play again, no matter how brief.

Appearently, he wasn't just sitting at home, "eating nachos" for two years, because he didn't want to play. Seems he had some kind of a real injury.

Sounds like he is going to be ok though.
    He looked a little woozy going off the field.

As long as he takes it easy from here on out he should recover fully.

Thanks for always being a Chief first Priest!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

maybe he is just really smart and realized he could make some more millions by playing a couple more games.

...or did he make more money by coming back?
    not sure what his contract was.

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Realistically Herm, Priest or whoever decided that it was a good idea to trade Bennett because Priest was coming back screwed the Chiefs. I was happy to see Priest try to come back, but I also was scared this time would come. I feel that now maybe he should not have come back, he left before because of an injury but he left at the top of his game, now that he came back and had limited success his final two games, he kinda went out worse then before.

I hope Kolby Smith can step up, but it really doesn't matter at this point it seems the season is really over. Without a running back with any experience whatsoever this team is screwed. And now to add to that Croyle is going to look bad because he is going to have to throw much much more, maybe we can get Ricky Williams, regardless this is far worse news then losing Eddie Kennison at the beginning of the season. If Priest went out while LJ was healthy then it would be another story, but if LJ cant go and Priest retires. Man this sucks. Also without a running back to speak of Herm will be able to play the its not my fault card to keep his job. Hope Priest isnt hurt to bad but man this team is.
    I am going to call it right now, if Priest retires and LJ stays out, and the Chiefs win the division without picking up a running back then truly Herm would be coach of the year. How are you guys that were happy LJ was injured feeling now.

4th Pick in the draft could be a possibility now. Kansas City You are on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by bryonc View Post
    Realistically Herm, Priest or whoever decided that it was a good idea to trade Bennett because Priest was coming back screwed the Chiefs. I was happy to see Priest try to come back, but I also was scared this time would come. I feel that now maybe he should not have come back, he left before because of an injury but he left at the top of his game, now that he came back and had limited success his final two games, he kinda went out worse then before.

I hope Kolby Smith can step up, but it really doesn't matter at this point it seems the season is really over. Without a running back with any experience whatsoever this team is screwed. And now to add to that Croyle is going to look bad because he is going to have to throw much much more, maybe we can get Ricky Williams, regardless this is far worse news then losing Eddie Kennison at the beginning of the season. If Priest went out while LJ was healthy then it would be another story, but if LJ cant go and Priest retires. Man this sucks. Also without a running back to speak of Herm will be able to play the its not my fault card to keep his job. Hope Priest isnt hurt to bad but man this team is.
    I am going to call it right now, if Priest retires and LJ stays out, and the Chiefs win the division without picking up a running back then truly Herm would be coach of the year. How are you guys that were happy LJ was injured feeling now.

4th Pick in the draft could be a possibility now. Kansas City You are on the clock.
    My thinking as well.

Let it go man.

I don't think any Coach who calls game plans that continually injures his offensive players can be anything but a failure.

Even if we do squeak out this division.

I still think the AFC West is the second most competitive division in the NFL though.

With Herm here it looks worse, but if you take a look at the talent you will see that I speak wisely.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast