Thread: Not sure if this goes here or Other NFL teams?

Default Not sure if this goes here or Other NFL teams?

Brian Billick sounds an awful lot like Hermie to me!

Could Brian Billick have robbed Holmes of notoriety? ~ November 23, 2007

By Mark Considine
    ( mconsidine_99@yahoo.com )

With the retirement announcement of Priest Holmes it makes this Ravens fan ponder the question, had he stayed with the Ravens, would anyone care that he was retiring? The question isn’t intimating that the sports nation doesn’t care about Baltimore athletes, but that under Brian Billick and the genius’ offense, he would have ended up a mediocre at best running back who would have had to run behind a poor offensive line in a predictable offense with no passing game. (Assuming of course that the Ravens passed on Jamal Lewis and positioned Holmes as the feature back.)

Fortunately for Holmes, he was signed by the Kansas City Chiefs, a team with an outstanding offensive line and a talented quarterback. Holmes proceeded to go out and set the single season touchdown record. He consistently put up 100 yard rushing games with outstanding combined yardage game after game. He became a national star and added a spark to that team and took them to a new level.

But what does that say about Brian Billick?

Is Billick guilty of not recognizing talent? He sat Casey Rabach for years until Flynn’s injury put him in the starting lineup and the next year he was signed by the Redskins. The Ravens could do nothing – handcuffed by Mike Flynn’s contract.

We also know how stubborn the man is and that he is prideful to a fault – foolish pride some might say. So the thought of sitting someone to prove a point is not out of the question for Brian Billick.

What about Brandon Stokely? Did the Ravens use him as much as they could have? I’d say no, they rarely ran out of the three wide set when he was here and preferred a fullback over a slot receiver in the guru’s offensive scheme.

Does anyone wonder why Terrell Owens didn’t want to come here? Perhaps Billick would have allowed him to run his mouth and hog the spotlight but on the field we would have witnessed far too many 3 and 4 yard passes on 3rd and 10.

T.O. would have eventually suffered a meltdown.

Look at this year’s offense. Am I the only Ravens fan who has wondered why we haven’t seen a spread offense utilizing the best receiver corps we have had since the Michael Jackson “hee heeee” days? (Sorry but every time I hear his name I can hear Chris Berman in the back of my head referencing the pop star)

Why Billick prefers to have a rookie fullback on the field versus Demetrius Williams when we all know that Willis McGahee runs effectively without a lead blocker is beyond me. It’s not like he is sending the wide outs deep and hitting the backs in the flats beating the slower linebacker. Instead he play fakes to the back and throws a 4 yard pass to Clayton or Mason.

We all saw what Peyton Manning did with Brandon Stokely, what would he or another elite quarterback do with a Mark Clayton or Demetrius Williams? How much would Brett Favre love a target like Williams? Of course he would have to be in better shape, because other teams would have him running down the field stretching defenses instead of the dink and dunk short passing train wreck offense we have here.

Does anyone remember how Ben Coates ended his career? He was rarely used in our offense back in 2000. For those who don’t remember what he did in New England I can assure you of one thing, no one, and I mean no one would have believed you if you told them that an offense with Ben Coates and Shannon Sharpe would go scoreless for five games. However, Billick pulled that one off.

There is a saying in the NFL that is not about the X’s and O’s, but the Jims and Joes. That statement could apply to the Ravens defense, especially in 2000, and even a little this year with the departure of Adalius Thomas. In 2000, we flat out had the horses to dominate teams and anyone could have coached that defense and been effective. Believe me it wasn’t Marvin Lewis. He struggled with the defense until the talent arrived.

In Baltimore, Billick is proving that it is about the X’s and O’s, because he has the Jims and Joes, and Willis’ and Heaps, but he manages the talent in the most bizarre way.

Case in point…

Last week against the Browns – a team that fields the league’s worst defense and a linebacker corps decimated by injury, Billick chose to pass more than run despite the club’s heavy investment in Willis McGahee ($40 mil and 3 draft picks). He passes when he needs one yard, runs when we need 15, and instructs the quarterback to throw underneath on 3rd and long.

So congratulations to Priest Holmes for ending his career with several Pro Bowls, offensive records, and love from the national media.

Meanwhile Baltimore is in dire need of another priest who might exorcize the demons from this offense – one demon in particular, Brian Billick. And while he may not be yacking up pea soup, he has definitely made this Ravens fan nauseous.

Pepto anyone?

http://www.ravens24x7.com/column_vie...2&view=archive

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Meh!