Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs and Gonzalez agree in Principle to a Five-Year Contract Extension

Default Chiefs and Gonzalez agree in Principle to a Five-Year Contract Extension

Jan 12, 2007, 9:23:22 AM

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Friday that TE Tony Gonzalez agreed in principle to a five-year contract extension. As per Chiefs policy, no further terms of the agreement were announced.

“Simplistically, we’re very pleased to get this done,” Peterson said. “It will, in all essence, allow Tony Gonzalez to finish his career with the Kansas City Chiefs. The obvious is he’s been a very, very productive player for us. I think for our fans in Kansas City it was important for us to get this done. He’s done a marvelous job for us both on and off the football field.”

Gonzalez (6-5, 251) has appeared in 158 career NFL games (142 starts), including starts in 142 of the last 144 contests. He owns the top mark in Chiefs history with 721 receptions for 8,710 yards (12.1 avg.) and 61 touchdowns. His 8,710 receiving yards and 721 receptions rank second in NFL history among TEs, trailing only TE Shannon Sharpe. He needs two more receiving TDs to pass Sharpe (62) for the most by a TE in NFL annals.

The 10-year NFL veteran earned his eighth straight appearance to the NFL’s annual All-Star Game this year. The only Chiefs TE ever selected to the Pro Bowl, Gonzalez joins Fred Arbanas as the only other Kansas City TE to earn a berth in the Pro Bowl or the AFL All-Star Game. Arbanas made five AFL All-Star appearances (’62-65 and ‘67). Those eight Pro Bowl invites are tied with Sharpe for the most by a tight end in NFL history. Gonzalez started 15 games in 2006, leading the club with 73 receptions for 900 yards with five touchdowns. The Torrance, California native caught a club-record 102 passes for 1,258 yards (12.3 avg.) with seven touchdowns in 2004.

At the University of California, Gonzalez saw action in 33 games on the gridiron, catching 89 passes for 1,302 yards (14.6 avg.) with eight touchdowns.

Kcchiefs.com

Default Re: Chiefs and Gonzalez agree in Principle to a Five-Year Contract Extension

Hey, we don't have to speculate any longer, I for one am glad that Tony G. will finish as a Chief, I can't wait til the 2007 season begins, He will break the record as a Chief and continue to add more TDs to it. Now Carl, GET some Blockers so he can be a TE, OK!!

GO CHIEFS Championship Eleven in 2007!!

8-) :pint:
    Go Chiefs Eleven, win
    in 2007!!:fighting0068:

Default Re: Chiefs and Gonzalez agree in Principle to a Five-Year Contract Extension

kenny1937 wrote:
    Hey, we don't have to speculate any longer, I for one am glad that Tony G. will finish as a Chief, I can't wait til the 2007 season begins, He will break the record as a Chief and continue to add more TDs to it. Now Carl, GET some Blockers so he can be a TE, OK!!

GO CHIEFS Championship Eleven in 2007!!

8-) :pint:
    Exactly!

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

i too am glad he`ll finish as a chief, A PASS CATCHING CHIEF. the only thing i hope is queen carl didnt break the bank on him.

wolfpack wrote:
    i too am glad he`ll finish as a chief, A PASS CATCHING CHIEF. the only thing i hope is queen carl didnt break the bank on him.
    I am equally as glad; I hope he gets a Super Bowl ring to go along with all the records that he obliterates. :hammer:

5 years 31 million with 17 mill guaranteed. alot of money. now i hope dunn can come back from back surgery 100% so gonzo can get back to catching and not as much pass blocking. it wouldn`t be so bad if we had a true #1 wideout that could get open and CATCH the ball. its sad that your best passing threat is a TE.

wolfpack wrote:
    5 years 31 million with 17 mill guaranteed. alot of money. now i hope dunn can come back from back surgery 100% so gonzo can get back to catching and not as much pass blocking. it wouldn`t be so bad if we had a true #1 wideout that could get open and CATCH the ball. its sad that your best passing threat is a TE.
    Agreed; we haven't had a go to guy since Rison.

With a coach who says he doesn't care about the offense, I am not too optimistic about our chances.

8-) ;-)
    Go Chiefs Eleven, win
    in 2007!!:fighting0068:

kenny1937 wrote:
    With a coach who says he doesn't care about the offense, I am not too optimistic about our chances.

8-) ;-)
    That is really what I heard him say.

if we are going to retool the offense then cut Parker,Gardner,Hall. then move Eddy to #2. if he dosent like it,,,,BYE! go out and get a #1 and draft a good speedster. it seems like there`s alot of them in the draft this year.
    maybe by cutting those it would help in the cap money to get a #1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast