Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Herms vision

Default Herms vision

I have a serious problem with the Herm Edwards' plan for the Chiefs' offense. He stated that he wants to play "smash-mouth, run the football" offense. While I do have great appreciation for that type of football team, I feel that there is a great oversight with that train of thought.

Every off-season, the NFL installs changes to the rulebook. Over the past decade, or two, the rules have been leaning, heavily, in favor of the passing game. I am not, by any means, an advocate for those rule changes. In fact, I despise them. However, they are set and, likely, will not be removed, any time soon. Within the passing offense, lay potential penalties of as much as sixty, to seventy yards and some automatic first-downs.

Hypothetically, if your defense manages to push the opposing offense to a, desperate, fourth and twenty-five, at their own twenty-five yard line, an illegal contact penalty will grant the offense an automatic first down. Or, in the same game situation, a pass-interference penalty could put the offense into a first and goal situation.

What this means to me, is that there is a growing and often overlooked aspect of the game of football, today. With offense, defense, special-teams and turnovers being the well-known aspects of the game, I believe that penalties should be viewed as a much more valuable aspect.

With a "run-first" style of offense, you decrease your opportunities for penalty yards.

With conference finals just ahead, the Chicago Bears are the closest thing to a "smash-mouth" running offense, that is left in the playoffs. (Unless you want to make a case against Drew Brees.) They are not very close to it, either. In fact, only three teams in this years playoffs, could be considered run-first teams. Each of those teams left the playoffs, in a hurry. Even last years Steelers became much less of a run-first team, before they managed to make some noise in the playoffs.

Herm has critcized the Chiefs' offense of recent years, by showing the teams lack of playoff success. Few, however, can argue that that was not a great offense. In my opinion, that was the best "smash-mouth" running attack that has existed, in several seasons.

The difference between that offense, and the type of offense that Edwards describes, is that Priest Holmes didn't run, directly into the teeth of the defense. It was, both, a "smash-mouth" running attack, and a finnesse running game. Not to mention the superb passing game that was creatively coupled with it. To criticize that offense, is foolish. When, clearly, the problem with those Chiefs teams, was a poor defense.

I would like for Herm to take a look around the NFL, and try to see waht is going on, offensively. In order to be successful, I think he has to.

Default Re: Herms vision

Yep, I agree, I have serious problems with Hermie Ball, the only thing it will get us is a smashed mouth by the other teams.

8-) :pint:

Herm has no peripheral vision
    Go Chiefs Eleven, win
    in 2007!!:fighting0068:

Herm has no peripheral vision

Yep, that's the reason we get smashed!!

Go Chiefs Eleven, win

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

i think this year the only "true" pass first was indy. everyone wants to run. the only trouble is hermie goes to far. even marty after the ravens game this year opened up his passing attack.black is free agant this year and we need him,yes dont laugh. if anything as a backup or right tackle. we if can draft or sign a good solid left tackle then we can pass more. also a relieable #1 wideout is a must. the combintion of roaf retiring,not resigning T-Rich and hermieball has set our offense back to the turn of the century. if we can keep it in the top 12 and our defense can break the top 10, we`ll be ok. then again i might win the lotto,hahahaha

thinking about it more and reading the so called chiefs reporter Teicher,hermie wont be able to tear up the team to his liken totally. the cap wont let him. the biggest personal changes i think will come on the defensive side. sheilds,weigman may retire,hall and parker will be gone and green or haurd willbe the starter. if green takes a pay cut then green is the #1 and croyle is #2. but green is du around 7.2 mill, to much.

Yes, I agree wolfpack, it is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out, unfortuately I think we (the fans) are going to rehash this all over again, about this time next year, although I hope not.

Go Chiefs Eleven, win

wolfpack wrote:
    i think this year the only "true" pass first was indy. everyone wants to run. the only trouble is hermie goes to far. even marty after the ravens game this year opened up his passing attack.black is free agant this year and we need him,yes dont laugh. if anything as a backup or right tackle. we if can draft or sign a good solid left tackle then we can pass more. also a relieable #1 wideout is a must. the combintion of roaf retiring,not resigning T-Rich and hermieball has set our offense back to the turn of the century. if we can keep it in the top 12 and our defense can break the top 10, we`ll be ok. then again i might win the lotto,hahahaha

And I am going to finally strike it rich with Publishers Clearing House.

wolfpack wrote:
    I didn't intend to insenuate that we need to try to duplicate the Colts offense. I just don't think that We should aim to be the '00/'01 Ravens' offense.

Herm says he wants a "ball control" offense. In '05, the Chiefs averaged over four minutes in T.O.P advantage. That is a "ball control" offense. He criticizes an offense that embodies what he claims to want to create for this team. The only difference between what he wants to do, and what the previous administration was doing, is that the D.V. offense was not scared to throw the football.

Not trying to attack you there, Wolfpack. I think we agree, for the most-part, on the Chiefs biggest problems.

i liked DV`s offense, attack,attack and attack. not afraid to throw down field. but i also thought AS got to cute sometimes. with DV`s offense you didnt need great wideouts,just average. with hermie`s offense you need alot better receivers than we have. plus Holmes was a better all around back then LJ. i say this because Holmes can catch , block better, and could bounce it outside better than LJ. he was more of a passing threat. to me its easier to guess what play hermie is going to call and with DV`s it wasnt. never thought of you attacking me chief31.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast