Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Kyle Turley steppin up

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,852
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Kyle Turley steppin up


    0 Not allowed!
    Turley challenges active players to give to fund

    ESPN.com news services






    Updated: November 27, 2007, 1:20 PM ET


    Kyle Turley is donating an entire game check to the Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund for retired NFL players in need -- and challenging his fellow active players to give as well.


    "I am issuing a challenge to all current players of this great game to take action and stand with me and show these men that they are not forgotten," the Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman said in a news release issued by Gridiron Greats on Tuesday.

    "I am asking them to join me by donating a portion of their December 23 game check, whether large or small, to go directly to retired players in need. Whether they choose to keep their participation confidential or release their name as a participant is not important. What is important is doing something to make a difference."


    The Gridiron Greats fund, overseen by NFL Hall of Famers Mike Ditka and Gale Sayers, provides financial assistance and coordinates social service assistance to retired NFL players in need. Ditka has been an outspoken critic of the NFL and its players union over the disability benefits program for retired players.

    "The fact that there are so many guys out there in desperate need of help, when something could be done by the owners and the union, is shameful," said Sayers, a board member of the Gridiron Greats. "While they spend their time making excuses, we are committed to providing whatever help we can to improve the lives of so many of the men that played this great game. In this season of giving it is absolutely wonderful what [Turley] and these active players are doing by reaching out to the retired players who are need."
    Last edited by Chiefster; 11-27-2007 at 02:52 PM.

  2. #11
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,852
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Can you imagine if every player would give $25K like Turley did????? That's like $40 million or so!!

  3. #12
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,841
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I know the owners are (ryhmes with sticks) but c'mon if just one would step up, think of the possible marketing angle...or how about they do a matching campaign with the fans at the game...

    I.e. Owner says, for every fan who drops his ticket stub with a $5 in the collection box, I'll match the donation. Heck it's only a fraction of the $$ the owner takes in, but it would add up to a lot.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

    Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

  4. #13
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,936
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 422

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Yeah, I know the owners are (ryhmes with sticks) but c'mon if just one would step up, think of the possible marketing angle...or how about they do a matching campaign with the fans at the game...

    I.e. Owner says, for every fan who drops his ticket stub with a $5 in the collection box, I'll match the donation. Heck it's only a fraction of the $$ the owner takes in, but it would add up to a lot.
    Great idea, but you are obviously unaware of the Hunts. :p


  5. #14
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,841
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Great idea, but you are obviously unaware of the Hunts. :p
    I am aware of them as well as all the other cheap *******s that run this league.

    I'm just writing this stuff on multiple football boards hoping one of their grandkids (who might have the Internet) might print it out and say, Grandpa...this is a good idea.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

    Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

  6. #15
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,936
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 422

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    I am aware of them as well as all the other cheap *******s that run this league.

    I'm just writing this stuff on multiple football boards hoping one of their grandkids (who might have the Internet) might print it out and say, Grandpa...this is a good idea.
    Heh!

    Good thinkin!


  7. #16
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Can you imagine if every player would give $25K like Turley did????? That's like $40 million or so!!

    Exactly!

    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  8. #17
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,852
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I just watched CostasNOW and Charles Barkley, John Mcenroe and Bob Costas all decided to follow in Turley's footsteps and donate $25,000 each. Maybe Turley might have sparked a little something and some others will step up and show Upshaw what he should have done a long time ago.

  9. #18
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,841
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I still say that the owners are (insert expletive that rhymes with sticks) if they don't jump in and do something on this weekend...what the owners should do is donate proceeds from the preseason game where they have raped and pillaged their season ticket holders to this cause. Ooops, I'm being logical again...I'll stop.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

    Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

  10. #19
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,936
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 422

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    I still say that the owners are (insert expletive that rhymes with sticks) if they don't jump in and do something on this weekend...what the owners should do is donate proceeds from the preseason game where they have raped and pillaged their season ticket holders to this cause. Ooops, I'm being logical again...I'll stop.
    Yep, can't have that.


  11. #20
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    There are ex NFL players living (barely), in homeless shelters getting $80 a month.

    I think the NFL owes them something.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •