Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you became a Chiefs fan...

Default Why you became a Chiefs fan...

Hello loyal Chiefs fans,

I am a current college student, and I'm doing a project on the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs (how they identify themselves with the team, how they represent the Chiefs, and the rituals that Chiefs fans perform). I am not a Chiefs fan myself but the loyalty and passion that Kansas City fans have for the Chiefs has always intrigued me. I would love to hear some of the stories that you, as fans, associate with the Chiefs. And more particularly, I am interested in knowing how, and why, you became a Chiefs fan. I realize that many of you were born in/near Kansas City and that is the reason you plead loyalty to the chiefs, but what I am really looking for are interesting stories that brought you to become a Chiefs fan - what drew you to the chiefs. Maybe your father always made you watch Chiefs games on sunday as a kid, and you are a fan because of him, or maybe it's something else. Any stories that you have will help. And if there are any stories or rituals that you personally associate with being a Chiefs fan, I'd be interested in hearing those as well. Thank you to all of those that offer help.

Quote Originally Posted by luv View Post
    I've been a fan for about three years. This is the first time I've experienced the "don't go to games and stop buying merchandise" crowd. The thought of that attitude makes my blood boil. If you're a fan, you're a fan. Win or lose.

Anyway. THis line of questions just has me wondering, and please excuse me if I'm wrong.....Chargers fan?
    Haha, no I'm not a Chargers fan. You'll actually probably dislike me even more when I tell you I'm from St. Louis, and therefore am loyal to all St. Louis sports teams. Obviously, St. Louis is more of a baseball town and the atmosphere in the Edward Jones Dome doesn't compare to the Arrowhead experience. But speaking of AFC West teams, why is there such a bitter rivalry between Chiefs fans and Raiders fans? How did this rivalry start, and what are the ways that Chiefs fans display their hatred for the Raiders. Are there any rituals in this matter?

Quote Originally Posted by StudentoftheGame View Post
    Haha, no I'm not a Chargers fan. You'll actually probably dislike me even more when I tell you I'm from St. Louis, and therefore am loyal to all St. Louis sports teams. Obviously, St. Louis is more of a baseball town and the atmosphere in the Edward Jones Dome doesn't compare to the Arrowhead experience. But speaking of AFC West teams, why is there such a bitter rivalry between Chiefs fans and Raiders fans? How did this rivalry start, and what are the ways that Chiefs fans display their hatred for the Raiders. Are there any rituals in this matter?
    I have to give you credit man.

This is the best idea I have ever seen for doing research on a paper.

Screw studying, let others tell you what to write!!!

The age of the internet has ARRIVED!!!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Well the guy is moderately articulate, so he is not a Raiders fan...

He is not trying to pretend like he is still the dominant force in the AFC West, so not a Broncos fan...

He says he is not a Chiefs fan...

Hmmmm...

Is luv onto something?

I'm simply just a student trying to learn about the ways in which Chiefs fans identify with their team. The class I am doing this for is a "Sports Communication" class, and my project is to study the fans of a certain team. I chose the KC Chiefs fans because I know they have a strong passion for their Chiefs. For instance, some of the rituals that Chiefs fans are accustomed to are the epic tailgating practices that take place every sunday, and the rendition of the National Anthem that ends in "...the home of the Chiefs." I also know about "Red Friday," which takes place before every home opener. These are some of the things that I am trying to learn about the fans - the rituals that fans take part in.

Maybe it is these rituals that influence fans from other cities to love the chiefs. That is really the ultimate question: Why did you become a Chiefs fan? What did it for you?

I would also like to learn more about the "TD Pack Band" (correct me if that is not the correct name). Is that still a prevalent group inside the stadium? What makes the band so special?

Finally, I want to learn more about the rivalry with the Raiders - it's origin, and more specifically how people show their dislike for the Raiders and their fans. any rituals there?

Again, thank you to all who have replied and helped me out in this manner.

I'm simply just a student trying to learn about the ways in which Chiefs fans identify with their team. The class I am doing this for is a "Sports Communication" class, and my project is to study the fans of a certain team. I chose the KC Chiefs fans because I know they have a strong passion for their Chiefs. For instance, some of the rituals that Chiefs fans are accustomed to are the epic tailgating practices that take place every sunday, and the rendition of the National Anthem that ends in "...the home of the Chiefs." I also know about "Red Friday," which takes place before every home opener. These are some of the things that I am trying to learn about the fans - the rituals that fans take part in.

Maybe it is these rituals that influence fans from other cities to love the chiefs. That is really the ultimate question: Why did you become a Chiefs fan? What did it for you?

I would also like to learn more about the "TD Pack Band" (correct me if that is not the correct name). Is that still a prevalent group inside the stadium? What makes the band so special?

Finally, I want to learn more about the rivalry with the Raiders - it's origin, and more specifically how people show their dislike for the Raiders and their fans. any rituals there?

Where are you from? What college?

I go to St. Louis University and I am from St. Louis. This project is for a class called "Sports Communication." Anything you have to offer is much appreciated.

OK, you seem like a pretty good guy. If you don't want to do the research I will try and help you out.

Be warned though. I am often criticized on this site about my behavior.

I don't know that I am generally criticized on my fact checking. I am not doing any now, just letting you know what's going down in KC.

You’re right about that guy!

If you can remember the 4th Quarter of the game you haven’t tailgated right.

The reason we say “…the home of the CHIEFSSSSS!!!!!” is because we like to think of ourselves as a nation (KC Nation), and we have USAF flyovers at the end of the Star Spangled Banner (and it is usually timed pretty damn well, so that the planes fly over while we are singing it).

Red Friday is huge in KC. Everyone wears Chiefs Red and is in a great mood. We all talk to each other as if we are long time friends. If you’re not wearing Chiefs Red, someone is likely to ask you why you aren’t.

Does that help?

If you’re still asking that question then I will speak for a couple of others on this site and you can ask them.

rbedgood has a soft spot in his tiny heart for the Chiefs because Golden Boy Joe Montana played for us after he was disgustingly let go by rbedgoods favorite team, the once respectable San Francisco 49er’s.

Canada noticed the same thing as you and was hooked. Good boy Canada.
    chief31 just knows a good thing when he sees one!

Chiefster has found the Light Side of the Force and become a Jedi master because of it!

tammietailgator lives here in KC and loves the Chiefs, but for some reason roots for some team in Kansas for College ball…

m0ef0e… ohhh m0ef0e… where has the prodigal son wandered to? (probably playing video games like me)

….

For some reason four dots in a row means something on this site. Something funny from what I gather.

This is just a quick slice of life here at the Crowd.

The Chiefs fan across the country is pretty much represented here on this site.

I can’t remember the name of the band, but I just got my copy of History of the Chiefs, so celebrate good times tornadospotter!

Also the band leader now is the daughter of the original band leader. They have been a team for about 20 years or so, and if I’m not mistaken her dad just died (I would look this one up, because I think everyone is dead for some reason when people ask me).

I also think KC Wolf likes to dance in front of them.

KC Wolf is our mascot and is awesome! He Dog Piled a drunk fan this year at Arrowhead and then the momentum turned! Chiefs won the game!!!!

Make sure and mention KC Wolf in your report.

The Raiders just suck period. Doesn’t every other team hate them as much as the Chiefs?

The fans throw D cell batteries at the Raiders opponents when they are in the Red Zone.

The Chiefs have to play them twice a year and kick their *** so often

You’re welcome.

I figure this will get you at least a B on your paper.

Good luck, and starter rooting for the friggin’ Chiefs man!!!!
    Last edited by hermhater; 12-01-2007 at 02:32 AM.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Hello loyal Chiefs fans,

I am a current college student, and I'm doing a project on the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs (how they identify themselves with the team, how they represent the Chiefs, and the rituals that Chiefs fans perform). I am not a Chiefs fan myself but the loyalty and passion that Kansas City fans have for the Chiefs has always intrigued me. I would love to hear some of the stories that you, as fans, associate with the Chiefs. And more particularly, I am interested in knowing how, and why, you became a Chiefs fan. I realize that many of you were born in/near Kansas City and that is the reason you plead loyalty to the chiefs, but what I am really looking for are interesting stories that brought you to become a Chiefs fan - what drew you to the chiefs. Maybe your father always made you watch Chiefs games on sunday as a kid, and you are a fan because of him, or maybe it's something else. Any stories that you have will help. And if there are any stories or rituals that you personally associate with being a Chiefs fan, I'd be interested in hearing those as well. Thank you to all of those that offer help.
    Glutton for punishment?
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

I go to St. Louis University and I am from St. Louis. This project is for a class called "Sports Communication." Anything you have to offer is much appreciated.
    I dont have much of a story. I am from central Iowa. Never played much sports but around 16 started liking NFL and the Chiefs in paticular. Part of the reason I think I liked them was they always seemed to be the "underdog" or atleast thats how they were treated. I liked rooting for the underdog because they did win a fair share of games and they were fun to watch. I guess its just somthing that grows on you. Evan when they suck I still watch the whole game, thinkin they can come back at any moment. That started back when Joe Montana was the QB. I just went to my first game at Arrowhead last week and I was very impressed. I will be making hopefully many trips next year! Thats all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Glutton for punishment?
    Quit being kinky carlhater...

Maybe you should change your user name... hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Polleo Pit Man View Post
    I dont have much of a story. I am from central Iowa. Never played much sports but around 16 started liking NFL and the Chiefs in paticular. Part of the reason I think I liked them was they always seemed to be the "underdog" or atleast thats how they were treated. I liked rooting for the underdog because they did win a fair share of games and they were fun to watch. I guess its just somthing that grows on you. Evan when they suck I still watch the whole game, thinkin they can come back at any moment. That started back when Joe Montana was the QB. I just went to my first game at Arrowhead last week and I was very impressed. I will be making hopefully many trips next year! Thats all I got.
    Excellent point!

Why the hell are the Chiefs ignored to much?

Even when we play a good game they still show the opposing teams highlights and that is all.

We are angry about that too.

Since Lamar Hunt started the AFL in the 60's the NFL has had a grudge. The Chiefs suffer because of it.

This is not only media wise, but official call wise.

We have lost 3 or 4 players the last two years (starters) because of injuries that were caused by intentional fouls that were not flagged, fined, or even noticed by the NFL.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast