Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why you became a Chiefs fan...

Default Why you became a Chiefs fan...

Hello loyal Chiefs fans,

I am a current college student, and I'm doing a project on the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs (how they identify themselves with the team, how they represent the Chiefs, and the rituals that Chiefs fans perform). I am not a Chiefs fan myself but the loyalty and passion that Kansas City fans have for the Chiefs has always intrigued me. I would love to hear some of the stories that you, as fans, associate with the Chiefs. And more particularly, I am interested in knowing how, and why, you became a Chiefs fan. I realize that many of you were born in/near Kansas City and that is the reason you plead loyalty to the chiefs, but what I am really looking for are interesting stories that brought you to become a Chiefs fan - what drew you to the chiefs. Maybe your father always made you watch Chiefs games on sunday as a kid, and you are a fan because of him, or maybe it's something else. Any stories that you have will help. And if there are any stories or rituals that you personally associate with being a Chiefs fan, I'd be interested in hearing those as well. Thank you to all of those that offer help.

This is all great stuff guys. I'm glad to see that this thread has blossomed into something and I appreciate that fact that all of you are willing to help even though I, myself, am not a Chiefs fan. I have yet another question (sorry). I have recently learned about "Raiders Week," and I know that because of the hatred you have for the raiders and their fans, that this week must be big. I tried to look online for some of the events that take place this week, but it seems that ALL teams have a raiders week, haha. So I was just wondering if there are any rituals that you perform during the week that the raiders come into town (anything you do differently than a standard Chiefs home game against a different opponent). Thanks again for all your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by StudentoftheGame View Post
    This is all great stuff guys. I'm glad to see that this thread has blossomed into something and I appreciate that fact that all of you are willing to help even though I, myself, am not a Chiefs fan. I have yet another question (sorry). I have recently learned about "Raiders Week," and I know that because of the hatred you have for the raiders and their fans, that this week must be big. I tried to look online for some of the events that take place this week, but it seems that ALL teams have a raiders week, haha. So I was just wondering if there are any rituals that you perform during the week that the raiders come into town (anything you do differently than a standard Chiefs home game against a different opponent). Thanks again for all your posts.
    I look for Raiders fans and punch 'em. No joke

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Tomorrow is my first game at KC, I'm a Steeler fan all my life, season tickets since 1972. Never been in KC but flying out of Pittsburgh in the next few minutes. Could become a real Chief fan, my son has been on the practice squad for the last 4 or 5 weeks. We hope he gets a shot to play by years end. He had a great Steeler camp but just missed, but many thought he should have made the 53 man. Looking forward to a great trip.
    Congrats!!!! You must be so proud. I hope you get to see your son play. Can you tell us who he is? What position? Welcome to KC

I became a fan in 1988. I was living in Grandview, MO and my Mom would go to Price Chopper to grocery shop and I would get these football cards about this team. I started to collect those cards and then I saw the games on TV and was on the way to becoming a true fan. I remember the day that a Young Defensive Player was drafted for the Chiefs in 1989 and remember running into that player at Independence Mall with my Dad. At that moment I was hooked, I followed #58 throughout his career and even played the same position and wore the same number he did in Highschool. When I broke my leg in 1993 playing football at school my Doctor was one of the Chiefs team doctors that put my leg back together (for those that know medical things, I had to have the Ilizarov procedure done because I had 2 inches of bone pop out my leg.) and that team Doctor got ALL the Chiefs players to sign a team photo to me and wishe me luck in healing. I have been a fan through think and thin with this team. I have followed this team living in Hawaii, Guam, Figi, Western Samoa, the Phillipines, and all over the USA. So I guess I will repay that favor that those Chiefs players paid for a 13 year old boy in 1993 and say "Get better soon and I hope to see you on the field next year!"

As for the Raiders........they can go F*** T*********!
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Default Nice offense

I come from Sweden and live in Sweden so I have no real connection to Chiefs..... But I played football for several years in Sweden and watched every game. Chiefs PLAYED to most enyoing football. Heavy run game so after a while I was a chiefs fan.

I can't say they are living up to the old days now..... They really suck. But I will continue watching every game and they get a high draft pick atleast ( maybe dolphins gets a higher).

My dad hates sports and we never watched them. Every week my grandma would have Sunday dinner at her house and my uncle and cousins would sit there all afternoon watching the Chiefs play. It pissed me off so bad, couldn't stand it. When I got older and went to public school, I started playing basketball (the only sport the school had) and found I really enjoyed sports. I decided to watch a full game one Sunday with my uncle and cousins and I was hooked. The emotion, the athleticism, the violence, the eloquence, God, the whole thing appealed to me. I decided then to become a Chiefs fan.

I do all kinds of wierd rituals. If we have the ball, I wear my Gonzalez jersey. If we're on defense, I wear my DT jersey. If my wife is out of the room and they start playing well, her *** isn't coming back into the living room until the game is over. If she's watching and they are doing well, she'll piss her pants before I let her get out of her chair. I'm freaky superstitious.

The major reason we are such big rivals is because we are in the same division and for years the games went back and forth, though, that can't be said as much here lately. The main reason I think there is so much hatred for the Raiders is because back in 1970 Len Dawson was falling to the ground and Ben Davidson speared him in the back causing a huge brawl. That, and Raider fans are dumber than hell.

I hope this helps.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by loyden View Post
    I come from Sweden and live in Sweden so I have no real connection to Chiefs..... But I played football for several years in Sweden and watched every game. Chiefs PLAYED to most enyoing football. Heavy run game so after a while I was a chiefs fan.

I can't say they are living up to the old days now..... They really suck. But I will continue watching every game and they get a high draft pick atleast ( maybe dolphins gets a higher).
    Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    My dad hates sports and we never watched them. Every week my grandma would have Sunday dinner at her house and my uncle and cousins would sit there all afternoon watching the Chiefs play. It pissed me off so bad, couldn't stand it. When I got older and went to public school, I started playing basketball (the only sport the school had) and found I really enjoyed sports. I decided to watch a full game one Sunday with my uncle and cousins and I was hooked. The emotion, the athleticism, the violence, the eloquence, God, the whole thing appealed to me. I decided then to become a Chiefs fan.

I do all kinds of wierd rituals. If we have the ball, I wear my Gonzalez jersey. If we're on defense, I wear my DT jersey. If my wife is out of the room and they start playing well, her *** isn't coming back into the living room until the game is over. If she's watching and they are doing well, she'll piss her pants before I let her get out of her chair. I'm freaky superstitious.

The major reason we are such big rivals is because we are in the same division and for years the games went back and forth, though, that can't be said as much here lately. The main reason I think there is so much hatred for the Raiders is because back in 1970 Len Dawson was falling to the ground and Ben Davidson speared him in the back causing a huge brawl. That, and Raider fans are dumber than hell.

I hope this helps.

Both great posts!

Where is Sweden?

Next to Canada?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

That is what it is all about man.

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    That is what it is all about man.

She LOVES watching football (or any other sport for that matter) with me.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Late to the thread, but I'll post anyway.

I grew up in Independence, MO, but was only about 10 miles from the Arrowhead.

When I would go to my grandma's on Sunday, you could hear the crowd yelling several miles away. It was crazy.

My whole family was nuts for the Chiefs. Dad / grandpas / uncles, so it was obvious we young-uns would follow.

But what was the first memory that made me a Chiefs fan? Two things stand out.

1) The police department would give out Chiefs cards. They were not the Topps / Bowman / Fleer cards, but something just for KC. They were about an inch taller than trading cards you purchased. It was great being 7 / 8 and walking up to a police car and asking for some. I still have a lot of them. I really loved the Carla & Warpaint one.... Bonus points if anyone knows who that is....

2) QuickTrip had a "Chiefs Huddle Club" program. You signed up and got a package of "stuff". There were Chiefs stickers and you could get an end-zone ticket to the game. My first game was against Seattle in the early 80's.

Why am I a die-hard Chiefs fan today? Look at the pick. I'm the guy with the red mohawk. The guy next to me is my brother who drove into St. Louis to watch the Chiefs play the Rams. If you want to experience Arrowhead, the Chiefs will be back in STL in 6 or 7 years. The Dome turns into Arrowhead East when they are here, with at least 50% Chiefs fans. You get a little bit of the feel for it. A Rams home game is nothing compared to KC. No tailgating (and you cannot say "we do" because it is 30 - 40 people at a time, not thousands in the same lot....).

It's my connection to male family members. It's home. 85% of the conversations I have had with my dad in the last 5 - 10 years are Chiefs related. You could say it's the only thing that keeps us civil.

When my third daughter was born I called my cousin this year and said "I heard Priest will play again today." We talked for about 5 minutes and he said "What else is going on?". I said "We had the baby!". Obviously I was more excited about my daughter and was trying to be silly with him, but I was VERY excited Priest would be back....

As to why we hate the Raiders: My dad and uncle tell stories about 60's / 70's with Raiders fans throwing beers on the Chiefs players. The defense played dirty. The "Raider mystique" only means thugs who take cheap shots. A Chargers fan was killed going to a game in Oakland. Al Davis has no integrity. What else do you need...

It was a hard, hard time when Bo Jackson played for the Royals & the Raiders. You might want to look for some articles on Bo during the time to understand a little more of the rivalry. I'm sure there was a lot written on it then...

Rambling done.
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast